D&D 5E 3 Years Later: D&D's total Domination on Amazon (and Earth in General)

Hussar

Legend
What the heck are you guys doing to your poor books that they are falling apart? Jeez, they're books, they're meant to be treated with care. Maybe it's because my mom was a librarian. If she saw me mistreating a book, she'd probably hit me with it. :D

I've never had a D&D book, of any edition, fall apart.

Oofta

Legend
What the heck are you guys doing to your poor books that they are falling apart? Jeez, they're books, they're meant to be treated with care. Maybe it's because my mom was a librarian. If she saw me mistreating a book, she'd probably hit me with it. :D

I had a couple of the first print ones that died, it was a known issue with the publisher. Fortunately if you send it back they replace it and they even included a mod. :D

ad_hoc

(they/them)

The binding was faulty. The only books I've ever had issues with were the 5e books.

My PHB, MM, and CoS were all faulty. I just emailed WotC customer service with pictures of the books (and my name and address) and they sent replacements no questions asked.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

You must not have either the 1e Unearthed Arcana or Oriental Adventures.... Both books would start falling apart if you looked at them. :D

That aside, the first printing of the 5e PHB was fraught with binding issues that left a good portion of the print run falling apart with just regular usage of the book. Mine suffers that fate, unfortunately.

Hussar

Legend
You must not have either the 1e Unearthed Arcana or Oriental Adventures.... Both books would start falling apart if you looked at them. :D

That aside, the first printing of the 5e PHB was fraught with binding issues that left a good portion of the print run falling apart with just regular usage of the book. Mine suffers that fate, unfortunately.

Again, really? I had an Unearthed Arcana for years. It traveled with me across two continents. Never had an issue.

I totally believe you guys. I'm just wondering what kind of abuse you folks are heaping on these poor books. :D

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Again, really? I had an Unearthed Arcana for years. It traveled with me across two continents. Never had an issue.

I totally believe you guys. I'm just wondering what kind of abuse you folks are heaping on these poor books. :D

None. I take great pride in my game and book collection. My first 5e PHB had pages falling out despite what appeared to be a nearly pristine spine (I open my books carefully...I am a bit OCD about preserving my things).

WOTC did not bat an eye. They had me return the book and replaced it. The replacement seems fine as do my other books.

I have a nearly perfect Unearthed Arcana from the old days which I opened VERY CAREFULLY. I had a another heavily used copy given to me with the pages falling out.

Just so you believe me, let me state that this was the only D&D book I have had to ever fall apart. Secondly, friends laugh at how careful I am with games and books. This was a real issue. WOTC even gave me a gift because they knew it was happening early on.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Wow! I'm sure you could get a decent price for that thing.

Not a lot. My UA & OA started falling apart with regular gaming book usage within a few months of getting them. My 5e PHB took a bit longer to go pants, but I was also more careful with it (not being a teenager like I was with my 1e books), and having already heard about other PHBs falling apart at the seams. :/

I have a 1e PHB that has seen a lot of abuse—multiple owners, continuous wear and tear from my early teenage years, etc. The covers and spine are in rough shape, but the binding is still perfect.

dagger

Adventurer
Wow! I'm sure you could get a decent price for that thing.

Not a lot. My UA & OA started falling apart with regular gaming book usage within a few months of getting them. My 5e PHB took a bit longer to go pants, but I was also more careful with it (not being a teenager like I was with my 1e books), and having already heard about other PHBs falling apart at the seams. :/

I have a 1e PHB that has seen a lot of abuse—multiple owners, continuous wear and tear from my early teenage years, etc. The covers and spine are in rough shape, but the binding is still perfect.

I have several 1e UAs that are in good shape with the errata. They are pretty easy to get on ebay

Remove ads