D&D 5E 3 Years Later: D&D's total Domination on Amazon (and Earth in General)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Monte Cook is on record saying that 3.5 was planned long before the release of 3e. Sales had nothing to do with it (except indirectly); according to Cook, 3.5 was planned due to an anticipated slump in sales about 3 years into the edition. From what he describes, that slump common in RPG (or at least d&D) releases.

EDIT: turning typos into some semblance of English.

Thanks to the magic of ENWorld, you can see it here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ok-reviews-3-5&p=997160&viewfull=1#post997160

It can actually be interpreted in different ways. Worth taking a look at for those interested in origins of 3.5.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I know that quote. I will try to track down the source, but what he said was that a mild update was planned, new art, that kind of thing, which had happened with 1E and 2E. Not a 3.5, I am pretty sure he was on record that no 3.5 was planned.

And not that it matters, companies make plans and change them all the time. If 3E was still selling well after 2-3 years, there is no way they would have done a 3.5. Or if they did, then WotC really is badly managed.

There are some who believe the purpose of 3.5 was to take the wind out of the sails of the 3rd party companies using the SRD and d20 license to publish their own 3e stuff which was starting to compete with 3e. I don't know if that's really the intent, but it sure did take the wind out of the sails of many of those companies. A lot of 3rd party companies went belly up with 3.5e, as people no longer bought their back-catalogs due to minor but meaningful incompatibility issues with them (or at least the perception of incompatibility).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There are some who believe the purpose of 3.5 was to take the wind out of the sails of the 3rd party companies using the SRD and d20 license to publish their own 3e stuff which was starting to compete with 3e. I don't know if that's really the intent, but it sure did take the wind out of the sails of many of those companies. A lot of 3rd party companies went belly up with 3.5e, as people no longer bought their back-catalogs due to minor but meaningful incompatibility issues with them (or at least the perception of incompatibility).

A lot of the 3rd party producers were not happy with it.

Was also used to launch a new line of minis and new splats. My guess is that these where pretty profitable, at least for a while, and helped influence the strategy for 4E. But the origins of 4E has already set fire to been discussed in many other threads.

darjr

I crit!
The phb is at 32 on camel camel camel

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Players...-Wizards/product/0786965606?active=sales_rank

Wonder if xanathars is boosting it?

9C318729-2732-4FD7-8335-D1746A4D6E6C.png

Remove ads