D&D 5E 30/5 D&D Alumni Archives: Beyond Feudalism - Experimental Genres

Bluenose

Adventurer
Lankhmar is their example of Dark Fantasy? Seriously? Not quite where I'd place it, to be honest.

Still, the articles shows they're at least thinking about genre. Hopefully that means they'll try and do something with them. I'm a little surprised that there's no mention of Dark Sun which strikes me as an example of another genre (Post-Apocalyptic).

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm a little surprised that there's no mention of Dark Sun which strikes me as an example of another genre (Post-Apocalyptic).

I was, too. But there is this bit.

article said:
We’ll touch upon these settings in a later article that looks at how D&D continued to grow beyond its Feudal beginnings in the 2E, 3E, and 4E eras.

So, I assume we'll see a discussion of Dark Sun at a future point.

Thaumaturge.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Lankhmar is their example of Dark Fantasy? Seriously? Not quite where I'd place it, to be honest.

Still, the articles shows they're at least thinking about genre. Hopefully that means they'll try and do something with them. I'm a little surprised that there's no mention of Dark Sun which strikes me as an example of another genre (Post-Apocalyptic).

Lankhmar is not Game of Thrones...and I would also see it more as pulp, but it certainly has an edge that say LotR does not. Actually, where would you put the Sanctuary series? Maybe urban fantasy more specifically then dark fantasy.

Also, I do think this is the start of a series. If dragon and dungeon do come back, supporting older settings and campaign styles would be an obvious focus...

Agamon

Adventurer

I haven't read Lankhmar, but I have read Abercrombie's First Law series, which is definitely dark fantasy. And I thought that Leiber's stuff was along the same vein.

I haven't read Lankhmar, but I have read Abercrombie's First Law series, which is definitely dark fantasy. And I thought that Leiber's stuff was along the same vein.

I feel like Leiber is a lot more optimistic, in that people tend to recover from horrible stuff more, and horrible crimes get avenged, albeit brutally/crudely/accidentally, rather than actually furthering the people who commit them (in the longer-run). He is also more or less disinterested in power/rulership/leadership, whereas Abercrombie (like other solidly Dark Fantasy authors) tends to be quite interested in it.

I'd say he was pulp but inspired a lot of dark fantasy.

Remove ads