• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3e Dragonlance - Fistandantilus' stats?

Devall2000

First Post
I've been curious to find out how Fistandantilus has been listed for 3e. I purchased the 'Legends of the Twins' harcover and expected to find his 3e stats in there, but they were not present. Where are his stats listed for 3e?

thanks,
Jamie

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Devall2000 said:
I've been curious to find out how Fistandantilus has been listed for 3e. I purchased the 'Legends of the Twins' harcover and expected to find his 3e stats in there, but they were not present. Where are his stats listed for 3e?

thanks,
Jamie

I dont know his exact levels, but I think he is level 22. :)

Cam Banks

Adventurer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
IIRC, in 2e he was 23rd-level. Did he lose a level somewhere?

Yes, he did. 2e levels don't match up to 3e ones, anyway.

I wrote those stats, too. Talk about an invitation to getting good and bad reactions. I had the same reaction from fans when they saw my Raistlin stats in Legends of the Twins.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Banks said:
Yes, he did. 2e levels don't match up to 3e ones, anyway.

I wrote those stats, too. Talk about an invitation to getting good and bad reactions. I had the same reaction from fans when they saw my Raistlin stats in Legends of the Twins.

Cheers,
Cam

I wasn't having a bad reaction, just wondering. (And yes, I agree the levels are different.)

I'm only really familiar with FR NPCs when it comes to statting up iconics, and they generally kept the same number of levels or had even more.

Raistlin used to be 20th-level (the highest level I saw him set at... doesn't mean he never went epic).

For those more knowledgeable about DLance lore, what is Fistandantilus up to these days? I thought he was dead. Are his stats for an earlier time period?

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Fistandantilus, like Raistlin, or even Cthulhu for that matter, are the sort of characters you can probably stat out any way you like as long as they end up at or just beyond the top end of your games power scale. (In Cthulhu's case, go way beyond the bounds of sanity with your stats and your set).

Fiction is rarely written in such a way that sets out exactly what a powerful character can or cannot do. If they need to be totally badass, they are written about as such. I doubt Weis and Hickman sat down and said "You know, this guy is pretty powerful. But we know that Raistlin eventually whoops his arse. I also figure that the Kingpriest is about out of his league, so lets peg him at about level 22 instead of 27".

The only reason to stat out what such a character can do is if you actually want your players to have a shot, however unlilkely, at killing him at some point. It has been pointed out elsewhere that the moment you give someone hitpoints, the players can find a way to kill him/her/it.

The actual numbers used in any game depend entirely on the way the DM runs the game. If your at least trying to stay consistent with the Dragonlance campaign world, then Fistandantilus is supposed to be one of the most powerful wizards that ever lived. So set him up to be the most powerful villian NPC your campaign has yet seen.

Getting back to the question at hand, just be aware tht depending on the timeline, Fistandantilus either gets killed by Raistlin, or he goes into the Abyss and manages to take on Takhisis. So he should certaintly have enough power at his disposal, either through his spells or through his collection of magic items / artifacts, to handle anything short of that. For low power campaigns, level 22 should be plenty. For higher power games, you may need to kick him up to the 40's, or say a few levels above the typical avatars of the gods. He should also have a 'retardedly high' set of stats. His Int should be boosted due to advanced age bonuses. Depending on how recently he used the Bloodstone, he may either be suffering from stat penalties to Str/Dex/Con due to age, or he may be in his prime. He may also have other powerful items on his person at your discretion.

END COMMUNICATION

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Also worth noting: Fistandantilus did invent a time travel spell. This allows you to justify all sorts of crap with him being defeated and showing up again later. However, if you use this sort of thing, expect your players to beat you to death.

END COMMUNICATION

Remove ads