D&D 3E/3.5 3e Made Me Into a Gronard

Wormwood

Adventurer
Toben the Many said:
This thread is really more about tracking down where my reservations about 4e are coming from.
Perhaps your reservations come from the thin trickle of context-free 4e information you are receiving. Your mind may be inserting 3e-isms into your (many) gaps of 4e knowledge, and cognitive dissonance is setting in.

I would suggest a healthy regimen of not-paying-attention until June, when you can see the system as it was meant to be seen.

DamnedChoir

First Post
Mistwell said:
I think it's bad any time people get used to something on such a habitual basis that they have trouble seeing new things objectively with an open mind.

Novel writers often talk about this problem. They read someone else's work, they love it so much they read it again and again, and it gets in their head so much that it harms their own ability to write a novel uniquely their own.

If you cannot even approach a new game system (and I do not necessarily mean 4e, since the OP isn't specifically talking about 4e) without thinking about it in terms of 3e, then you probably need a break from 3e. A a games creator, you've got to regain your perspective. I am not saying you need to quit 3e, just that you probably need a break.

Yes.

Keenath

Explorer
"Grognard" refers to anyone who resists change just cause it IS a change.

It doesn't have anything to do with any particular edition, or even any particular game.

Remove ads