3k gp limit for available items?

Westwind

First Post
Could someone please give me a page reference for the 3k gp limit on available magic items? I have looked and looked, but to no avail.

mikebr99

Explorer
Maybe a little more info in the question? Are you looking for some direction on a character starting out with 3000gp and need to know how much of that he can spend on magic?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I don't have my books with me, but it's in Chapter 7 of the PH, the town-generating section of the DMG, and is referenced in the chart at the end of the DMG.

It's a rule of thumb: if something costs more than 3,000 gp, it's hard to find it for sale.

Westwind

First Post
Just to clarify...

Here`s the scenario I was thinking:

PCs enter a town with a ton of cash in-hand looking to buy some very nice magic items (priced well over 3k). Assuming there is no in-game reason for an über-weapon shop, can they do it by the book? I've often heard of the 3k limit here, which makes sense, but I can't find the reference and being in Europe makes it tough to dig through my books.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Just to clarify...

Westwind said:
PCs enter a town with a ton of cash in-hand looking to buy some very nice magic items (priced well over 3k).

You must have entered a town of Large size. :)

Westwind said:
Assuming there is no in-game reason for an über-weapon shop, can they do it by the book?

No. The single most expensive item the town has is limited to 3,000gp. They might have multiple items of that price, but no single item will be more expensive. Similar limits also apply to building Strongholds as well.

Westwind said:
I've often heard of the 3k limit here, which makes sense, but I can't find the reference and being in Europe makes it tough to dig through my books.

Page 137, Table 4-40, Community Wealth and Population, DMG.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Re: Re: Just to clarify...

kreynolds said:

No. The single most expensive item the town has is limited to 3,000gp. They might have multiple items of that price, but no single item will be more expensive. Similar limits also apply to building Strongholds as well.

I would also say that even though the town is limited to 3,000gp for an item, that doesn't mean that it has every single item worth 3,000gp or below.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Just to clarify...

Kershek said:
I would also say that even though the town is limited to 3,000gp for an item, that doesn't mean that it has every single item worth 3,000gp or below.

I only have one response to that.

Well....duh. ;)

Remove ads