3rd Edition Mana System

What do you think of this new Mana System?

• Awsome! I think I might use this in my game.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Neutral/Undecided

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • You can do whatever you want....

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • This sucks!!

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • The always gotta have Other Option

Votes: 3 10.7%

Dougal DeKree

First Post
sorceror's freedom

...of course you could even allow your sorceror to "break up" spell slots, like he drop a lvl2 slot and gains 2 lvl1 slots for that day...taken your subdual damage system it would make little difference while allowing even more flexibility.
For myself, i feel sorcerors have it way too easy already - only casting, no thinking. Is there more fun than seeing the carefully prepared spells are exactly what is needed? Wizards can be so much more of a challenge!

Dougal

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
A long while back, before the boards changed out of Eric Noah's hands to the current administration, I posted a lengthy treatise detailing my own mana system. (the amount of time ago that I posted it means that it is no longer available in this board).

I had been thinking about reposting it to see what the current crowd of readers think about it. After seening this post, I believe that I will....

Basically, wizards in my system still have to memorize/prepare spells, but then they are allowed to cast that spell as many times as they like (providing they still have the available slots to do so for that level). I also include rules for overcasting and undercasting a spell and other things.

I also gave the Sorcerors some bonuses to offset the wizards partially stealing the thunder... I will repost the system in a day or two if anybody is interested...

Shaele

First Post
I came up with a spell system variant that's remarkably close to Rasyr's (at first glance).

Simply put, you prepare whatever spells you like, as per PH rules. You cast exactly the same number of spells per day as before, but they don't disappear from memory when cast (instead you just subtract from your available spells). To compensate sorcerers and bards for the relative loss in flexibility, I've given them a bonus feat (eschew components, 1st for sorcerer and 5th for bard), and also added their "bonus spells" to their number of known spells.

We've been using this system for a year successfully. It makes all spellcasters more flexible, but - as a DM - I haven't found it overpowering.

-shaele

----------

Spellcasting
The spellcasting rules have been changed to a “template” system, which provides a little more variety in spellcasting.

Preparing Spells
All spellcasters except bards and sorcerers needs to prepare spells ahead of time. This involves prayer and meditation for a druid or cleric, or sitting and reading spellbooks for a wizard. It takes approximately 15 minutes per spell level to prepare a spell (cantrips count as first level spells for this purpose).

The number of spells that can be prepared is listed in the Player’s Handbook. For all casters, the number of spells they can prepare equals their base spells plus bonuses for high attribute scores (if the caster is a cleric, also add their extra domain spell to this total). Clerics can freely prepare standard spells or domain spells in any of these slots.

A spellcaster can replace a prepared spell with a new one, by mentally releasing the old spell and preparing the new one in its place (this requires 15 minutes per spell level, as described above). If he is interrupted during this process, he has lost the old spell, but not yet gained the new one.

e.g.
Rahl is a first level wizard, who can prepare 4 cantrips and 2 first level spells. He sits down and prepares (0-level) detect magic, light, mage hand, ray of frost, (1-level) magic missile and spider climb. This takes him approximately 90 minutes. These spells will remain in his mind until he chooses to replace them with other spells.

Casting Spells
A prepared spell is like a template, through which a caster can channel spell energy. The number of spells that can be cast in a day is listed in the Player’s Handbook. Clerics add their normal and domain spells together to determine the number of spells that they can cast.

Casting a spell does not erase it from memory, but counts against the number of spells that can be cast in a day. If a spellcaster runs out of spell slots, he can choose to “give up” a higher-level slot to cast a lower-level spell.

e.g.
Rahl can cast 4 cantrips and 2 first level spells in a day. In a battle with a goblin, he casts Magic missile, reducing his count to 4/1. He loots a nearby chest and casts Detect magic, reducing his spells to 3/1. Since casting a spell doesn’t erase it from memory, he could cast Detect magic up to 3 more times, or cast any other combination of spells that he has prepared, as long as he doesn’t exceed his maximum for the day.

Multiclassed Spellcasters
It is possible for a spellcaster to have levels in more than a single spellcasting class. In this case, the number of spells that he can cast in a day are combined into a single number of spells per day. When casting any of his spells, he subtracts from this common pool.

Spell lists should still be kept distinct, and spells for each class must be prepared separately. Also, spells are cast at the level of the appropriate class (not the higher of the levels, even if they are from the same spell list).

e.g.
Rahl is 5th level wizard, and decides to multiclass as a cleric of Mystra. He is now a wizard 5 / cleric 1, and prepares his spells for each class separately. When casting spells, he can freely cast from either list, but his spells take effect at the level of the appropriate class. For example, he could cast a huge number of Bless spells (using up all of his wizard and clerical spells), but each spell would be cast as a 1st level cleric.

kenjib

First Post
I'd highly recommend taking a look at the PsiHB and If Thoughts Could Kill if you can afford it. Combined they create a mana system, including conversion of most PHB spells to make the effects scale better relative to mana cost. It's a fairly trivial job to adapt the rules to sorcerers or wizards instead of psions - and you can do it in many different ways (i.e. use wizard schools, all tied to int or cha, or use psion disciplines tied to different stats, use psion spells known per level or use sorcerer spells known per level with wizard memorization from book rules, etc.).

adndgamer

First Post
The Kender -

I like your ideas, though, as others have pointed out, there are some flaws that appear. The sorcerer/wizard spell range is the biggest one that would have to be dealt with. If I were to use this in my campaign (which, admittedly, I might try), I'd do away with the sorcerer class altogether, and instead make the wizard class a little less bookish.

I am in favor of a magic system that is powerful, but has consequences for messing up on a spell (ie, possibly a wild surge, per Wild magic). I'd also like for a player to have a chance to put some of his life force into a spell, and suffer a loss of hp or xp, to cast a spell he wouldn't ordinarily be able to cast. This would have to be a particularly tolling cost though, to keep it from being overused. Possibly losing a level or such as a result of casting a powerful powerful spell to save his skin. I guess that I like my magic dramatic :)

Anyways, I like the mana system, but it could use improvements.

-Paul

The Kender

First Post
I guess we could kill Psi Combat, use If Thoughts Could Kill, and call it magic, we would have a perfect system. I just picked up the PsiHB about a week ago and love the system(Save the Psi Combat. I still don't know why you should have to ready an action just to stop stuff)

Look for a crappy Magic Psion coming to a message board nar you!

Master Kaul

First Post
As an individual that has used Wizards (Necromancers to be exact), I can tell you that the Kiddies will love it, it's every wizard's dream and as for the Psions, they also have better Hd and Saves I think(dont quote me, i dont own the book) and Can they wear armor? If so this totaly kills the arguement, so....

Artimus

First Post
Yes, but no auto proficiencies. I tried to post one of these in a topic called Mana System 2. People hate it already. That seems to go how all my Custom Stuff goes.

:( :( :( :(

Remove ads