D&D 5E 40% of 5e D&D players are 25 years old or younger

darjr

I crit!
Doesn't mean anything until we see what the statistics were for previous iterations of the game. There were fewer players in 2000, but were they older? Hard to know without any data.
This is a good point. Didn’t we have a glimpse into WotCs numbers from back then? Anyone remember or know? I’ll bet there’s a thread on this very thing here somewhere.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've paid for meals for some of my players before.

Mostly so they're not excluded when we dine out. Students.

Yup, been here. I switched to providing all the food at my house after I found out why a certain player never brought anything.
Now, see, this right here is why I find the whole "Old Guard versus Young Turks" narratives so bizarre: my experience of D&D has been of family & friends building community together across divides.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is a good point. Didn’t we have a glimpse into WotCs numbers from back then? Anyone remember or know? I’ll bet there’s a thread on this very thing here somewhere.
My brain says that WotC reported 20 million people had ever played D&D as the turn of the century, but I don't recall anything more or know where that would be.

darjr

I crit!
Yeah I read between the lines. "Hey XYZ want a kebab my shout".

When I was younger people shouted me stuff.
When I was a local convention coordinator for AL I bought a few or more badges for folks that I knew couldn’t afford it. All of them stepped up and volunteered too after that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well if enough leave you don't have a player base.

They didn't threaten to leave they did leave.

Their feedback resulted in 5E which appeals to newbies more than they anticipated.

If they change things to much in 6E same thing will happen.
I was so excited for 4E. I followed the news and rumors, and was pumped to get a bunch of the books. Got the PHB, played in a campaign, lost interest. No hate, no bitterness. Just had better things to do with my time and money, and I was certainly no grognard when I was 22.

In the Next playtest, they just focused on figuring out what people like, and giving it to them.

Zardnaar

Legend
When I was a local convention coordinator for AL I bought a few or more badges for folks that I knew couldn’t afford it. All of them stepped up and volunteered too after that.

When we were teenagers my mother baked for my friends. She made hot scones and cinnamon pinwheels.

I later found out it annoyed one of my friends mothers who was in similar financial circumstances when we played at his house. She couldn't bake as well (flour and Suger being comparatively cheap).

Zardnaar

Legend
I was so excited for 4E. I followed the news and rumors, and was pumped to get a bunch of the books. Got the PHB, played in a campaign, lost interest. No hate, no bitterness. Just had better things to do with my time and money, and I was certainly no grognard when I was 22.

In the Next playtest, they just focused on figuring out what people like, and giving it to them.

Same I bought the 4E books bling. Inherited another phb from one of my players.

I still own them and they're in very good condition barely used;).

darjr

I crit!
When we were teenagers my mother baked for my friends. She made hot scones and cinnamon pinwheels.

I later found out it annoyed one of my friends mothers who was in similar financial circumstances when we played at his house. She couldn't bake as well (flour and Suger being comparatively cheap).
I do find people who have been poor tend to be generous when they have plenty. Not as a rule, but definitely the larger crowd.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do find people who have been poor tend to be generous when they have plenty. Not as a rule, but definitely the larger crowd.

Mum's baking raised expectations from my other friends and I could trade her cakes and biscuits at school for all sorts of things.

She tended to mother teenagers from broken homes as well.

My friend came to stay for the weekend (lived in rural areas) and left 6 weeks later. His mum just dropped off food occasionally.

Later on drunk he would ramble how great we were because I bailed him out at high school as playing D&D/chess kinda made you a target.

I hit my current height aged 15 so tended to get left alone (built like rugby player liked D&D).

Remove ads