• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E and Player Trust

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I've always placed lots of trust in my players and vice-versa. We are both playing the game for the same focus to have fun and play through adventures/stories. So it simply makes sense to trust eachother to make it run smoother.

To be honest, I did forget at my 2nd to last LFR session.

I have a swordmage w/ student of sword magic, and had just hit 5th level (getting 2 new daily powers).

I used Elemental Foible in an early encounter, and then forgetting I can only use 1 5th level daily per day, used my 2nd in the final encounter.

I apologized to the DM, and told him I would remove my cards from their sheet holders from now on (or use a wet/dry erase marker).

Negflar2099

Explorer
As others have pointed out playing any addition of D&D (or any role playing for that matter) requires trust on the part of GM and player alike. I know that a lot of people seem to take a zero tolerance policy towards cheating in RPG's but it's really very human thing to do. When it comes down to that last strike that may or may not save your party and the dice comes up 1 do you really want to admit it and thus let down everyone in the party? Especially if missing could lead to a TPK that could end the campaign?

Look, I'm not advocating cheating but it does happen and I'm not about to kick someone out of my game if it happens. That said there is a full proof way to counter most of the cheating that goes on in 4e. It's called DI. You better believe every time a player uses a power I either look up their power in the character builder or look it up in the compendium. Some of that is good old fashioned confusion and not real cheating. After all there are a lot of powers and the wording can be hard to follow on some of them but either way I'm looking it up. It has really made a marked difference in my game. I can hardly wait until tomorrow's update. Now I can keep the Compendium open non-stop. Very cool.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It really depends on the group.

One group I was in there was a particular player who felt it was entirely ok to change his character whenever he felt like it. It was only after three sessions that I realised he'd been altering his stats and chosen powers every session.

After that, I had absolutely no trust in him whatsoever and kept an eagle eye on him to make sure he wasn't cheating. Sure enough, he tried to cheat with dice-rolls, skill bonuses, power usage, healing surges and even surreptitiously tried to move his miniature to a more advantageous position whilst I wasn't looking.

Needless to say I'm not gaming with him anymore.

Storminator

First Post
It really depends on the group.

One group I was in there was a particular player who felt it was entirely ok to change his character whenever he felt like it. It was only after three sessions that I realised he'd been altering his stats and chosen powers every session.

This is my new DMing stance. Change your PC if it isn't what you like. Why play a PC that you aren't having fun with?

After that, I had absolutely no trust in him whatsoever and kept an eagle eye on him to make sure he wasn't cheating. Sure enough, he tried to cheat with dice-rolls, skill bonuses, power usage, healing surges and even surreptitiously tried to move his miniature to a more advantageous position whilst I wasn't looking.

Needless to say I'm not gaming with him anymore.

And the rest of this just sucks rocks.

PS

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As noted, not really a new thing. If anything, many powers are simpler then the spells of past editions, and there seems to be less "fine print" to worry about.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Personally I've found it a bit easier. In 4e, it's very difficult for a character to have the ability to use the same daily twice per day, or the same encounter power more than once per encounter. In 3x, you can prepare 3 of one spell, 2 of another, etc ... so, it's harder to remember if all of that spell has been cast than a simple "did or didn't he". It may be because we haven't reached 9 yet, but it hasn't come up. Sometimes there is trouble remembering between sessions what has or hasn't been used, but that can just as easily apply to spellcasters in earlier editions. The way most of the fights go, it's easy to remember if certain dailies were used. It's hard to forget when a sleep hit, or a lead the attack ... although some of the "simpler" dailies might be forgotten, like Brute Strike. Often the adventuring day ends because of healing surges [which are arguably tougher to keep track of ... you have to trust them to take the right damage, including ongoing damage, and when they spend them, track the surges, etc, etc, etc].

There are some tracking issues of trust ... I've been playing a warlock in one campaign, and the DM basically has to trust me in that my defenses will rarely be the same two turns in a row, as sometimes I have concealment, sometimes I'll have the benefit of second wind, sometimes I'll have the benefit of my utility power to teleport and get bonuses to defense, sometimes the attacker is marked, and I'm a halfling which boosts my AC against OAs, etc.

Trust is an issue with any RPG, but the definition of that trust is different.

In 3.5E, there were a million ways a player could ruin the game. They could optimize beyond the scope of the DM's ability to handle it, steal the spotlight, use piles of plot destroying spells, ect. Most successful 3.5E games required people not to be douchebags.

In 4.0E, the main issue of player trust isn't between the players and the DM, but between the players themselves. 4E is very much a team game, and somebody playing badly can result in a wipe if they don't work well with others.

Remove ads