• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Campaign Announcement Time/Date

Estlor

Explorer
A 4e Tortle race would rock in general. Attached to a specific setting or not!

Yup. And once the PHB3 is out, you can finally play an adolescent tortle monk with a spellscar. Come on, I'm not the only one who ever wanted to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle, right?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Agreed. In fact, I could easily see WotC taking the Mystara races and putting them in a PHB down the line.

So...kill Mystara and take its stuff?

What?! Hey, buddy, I don't know where you think you are, but this is D&D... so, um, obviously kill Mystara and take it's stuff!!! :D

Dire Bear said:
That's . . . not quite the case either, honestly. :)

Early 3rd Edition DID have Greyhawk as it's core setting. Yes, it fiddled with a few details, and presented it much like they are presenting the core setting for 4e, but Greyhawk was the default setting . . . at first.

But this didn't last long (don't really recall when the turning point was). Eventually 3rd Edition morphed into exactly what you describe, a generic, nameless fantasy core setting with elements lifted from Greyhawk . . . not all that different from today's core setting for 4e, actually!

Haha, told ya.

So having a concrete Core, where everything for every setting exists *somewhere* may be where they go with this.

I collected (and still will, if I find the gaps) FR 3e supplements, and Eberron ones. I avoided Dragonlance (other than the main CS, which was a great book; and the original printed modules, each of which is pure win and a classic), the Age of Mortals stuff. Why did I do this? Frankly, because it was part of a set that I had and liked. Even if I wasn't pleased with one of the books (I'm looking at you, Secrets of Xen'Drik (with utter lack of actual secrets)), I would still get the others.

Planescape and Spelljammer allow GMs to say "oooh, these characters could meet", and have meaningful interactions. More than that, the rest of the books produced by the company BECOME ONE SET so that collectors gather them all.
Thanks to DDI, Dragon Magazine will have support for supplements basically forever. Which means introducing campaign settings will be the new version of "FR southwestern Island we haven't mentioned yet". And better, too, as it'll be its own dynamic place to adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads