• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Change of mind

After lots of sessions of 4e D&D, has your view changed?

• Positive about D&D 4e at the start then went off it

Votes: 57 16.4%
  • Negative about D&D 4e at the start then grew to like it

Votes: 25 7.2%
  • Positive about D&D 4e at the start and still like it

Votes: 192 55.2%
  • Negative about D&D 4e at the start and still don't like it

Votes: 74 21.3%

Shroomy

Adventurer
I was attracted to 4e by the previews and when the system was first released, I really liked it. Now, after playing for 5 1/2 months and as each new supplement reveals more and more design space, the system has grown into my favorite edition of D&D yet.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I was tired of 3.5 and had high hopes for 4e. I loved the previews ("all the stuff you liked from Tome of Battle!") and eagerly bought up the core books. I still play it, I still like it a lot but the "new car smell" has washed away and its "flaws" (i.e. things that don't fit my group's playstyle) are now apparent. This is ok though....we can house rule it to suit our tastes.

I suppose my love for 4e has entered a new phase. I am no longer infatuated with it....I now love it despite its flaws...I see its potential for greatness even when it stumbles...I think that is a healthy, mature love. Overall 4e is the best edition of D&D for me.

p.s. Don't tell 4e but sometimes I think fondly about my old flame 3.5e. I'd never go back but...well, we had some good times. :)

Siberys

Adventurer
p.s. Don't tell 4e but sometimes I think fondly about my old flame 3.5e. I'd never go back but...well, we had some good times. :)
please PLEASE PLEASE don't necro that thread. I'm still trying to burn some of the images out of my brain with acid... :eek:

ahem... Being that I like fiddling with the rules, I was curious, if not enthused, to begin with. At first I was rankling from the cancellation of Dungeon and Dragon, but as time wore on, I liked what I was hearing more and more. It seemed they had taken my 3.x house-rule ideas, streamlined them, and presented them professionally. I've only really ever played 3.x & 4e D&D (though I've tried 1 & 2e...), so that may skew my perception, but I love this game (figuratively, of course. :p).

The only thing I miss from 3.x (other than fluff - that's editionless) is Elements of Magic. I'd like to see a point-based power creation system that has basic guidelines for designing powers similar to that; I'd also like to see a 4e ritual-system similar to the noncombat effects of EoM.

Damn it, now I've a pet project... :mad:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Man, there's nothing that truly reflects my position in the poll.

I was undecided about 4e at first, mostly trying to give it a chance to prove itself. There were a few things I was pretty critical of, but not having given it a fair shake, it was all contingent.

After having given it a fair shake, I can say that it doesn't mesh well with my style of game -- not as good as 3e did, anyway. From what I can tell, the core of this is that 4e decided that combat was the only fun part of D&D. I like combat -- I want a lot of combat -- but I also want a lot of other things, and 4e doesn't yet have enough support for those other things.

RFisher

Explorer
Heh. A bit like me & 3e.

I was hugely excited about 3e. When I first read the books, I thought: “This is the D&D I would’ve designed.” Yet, in practice, I struggled with it. I wasn’t really happy with it. Which lead me to exploring a lot of other systems, reëxploring a lot of systems, and eventually developing a new appreciation for the older editions.

I now see 3e as a different yet worthy system that I enjoy when someone else is running, but which isn’t my preference.

4e? At first I was excited. I already saw 3e as a different game, so I was already going to approach 4e in that fashion. I like a lot of the initial buzz. Then, I saw some red flags. Then, we played Star Wars Saga edition, and a few things disappointed me. Finally playing 4e, it didn’t really grab me.

I’m still reserving judgement. (Or at least trying to. ^_^) Nobody in the group seems to be in a rush to give it another go, though.

aurance

Explorer
Greatly disliked it at first, now 4e is my system of choice. As far as I'm concerned - I loved reading the rules of 3.x, but playing not as much. I don't enjoy reading 4e rules, but playing is much better.

korjik

First Post
From the start I had misgivings about 4e. What I wanted was 3e fixed, not a whole new system. As more started to come out, I realized they were tossing the baby with the bathwater. I started to feel that the design philosophy was pretty much completely opposite of what I wanted.

Role is a good example. Role should be defined by player interaction, not class. The slaving of role to class really bothers me.

When the game came out, I browbeat my group into playing. I wanted to kick the tires and take a test drive. The game is OK, but it is more Warhammer Quest 4E than D&D 4e. The game is too hooked to the map for combats to work right, there are too many effects that have to be tracked. There is not enough feeling that I am developing my characters, too much feeling that I have to pick certain paths.

My group has drifted back to Heavy Gear, but that may have been more a function of 8 years of D&D than the new edition

Wombat

First Post
Err ... how about "Neutral when 4e first came out, tried it, and found I don't like it"?

I had no real love or hate for 4e before it came out. It was only as I found out more about it that I grew to dislike it.

Jack99

Adventurer
4e disappointed me. I really thought it would cure cancer and make me able to make better adventures than WotC, Paizo and Necro. So I like it a little less than I did before it was released.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads