• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Class Survivor - Round 4

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Avenger

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Bard

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Cleric

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Invoker

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Paladin

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Ranger

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Swordmage

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Warden

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Warlock

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Poll closed .

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
Kill the bard... I've never liked the bard - just the idea of him standing there singing at his enemies to defeat them. It just doesn't work for me, never has and I dare say never will. Now apparently the 4e version works better than previous incarnations (don't know don't have the PHB2), don't care - it's the basic concept I have a problem with.

Imaro

Legend
Kind of surprised to see the bard out in front, I think the 4e bard is pretty good. It seems there is no real love of leaders here.

No, it can't be that leaders are unpopular... that would mean it's probably not just a "new class... wasn't in 3e" thing.

I mean if another leader goes down that might just make it more likely that maybe, just maybe many people just don't like playing a sidekick support character regardless of newness or edition. ;)

Cadfan

First Post
Kind of surprised to see the bard out in front, I think the 4e bard is pretty good. It seems there is no real love of leaders here.
The funny thing is that I love the warlord and the shaman, but just don't like the bard.

Remember, this poll doesn't measure positive feelings. It only measures hate.

fba827

Adventurer
The funny thing is that I love the warlord and the shaman, but just don't like the bard.

Remember, this poll doesn't measure positive feelings. It only measures hate.

Or maybe it isn't hate, but love -- and those who are voted off are too GOOD to be on the same poll as the others? :)

Simm

First Post
Still the invoker, it's still just not needed. The paladin, the warlock, even the bard has some sort of rational an a schtick that isn't captured by other classes. I just don't see that in the invoker

yesnomu

First Post
No, it can't be that leaders are unpopular... that would mean it's probably not just a "new class... wasn't in 3e" thing.

I mean if another leader goes down that might just make it more likely that maybe, just maybe many people just don't like playing a sidekick support character regardless of newness or edition. ;)
The weird part is that support characters are well-liked in other media; everyone loves the TF2 medic, and there's no shortage of healer players in WoW, for example. Maybe there's something different about RPGs that makes them less fun there? I know it was dislike of the cleric and druid in 2e that led them to be buffed like they were for 3e.

EDIT: For myself, I'll just pour out a forty for my buddy the Shaman, and continue voting for the least mechanically optimal classes on the list--right now, Warlock.

Imaro

Legend
The weird part is that support characters are well-liked in other media; everyone loves the TF2 medic, and there's no shortage of healer players in WoW, for example. Maybe there's something different about RPGs that makes them less fun there? I know it was dislike of the cleric and druid in 2e that led them to be buffed like they were for 3e.

EDIT: For myself, I'll just pour out a forty for my buddy the Shaman, and continue voting for the least mechanically optimal classes on the list--right now, Warlock.

All I have is anecdotal evidence, but amongst my 4e players only two ever wanted to play leader characters. One gave up on them after playing the Druid... the other after playing first the Warlord and then the Cleric. Right now they are playing a fighter, a swordmage/fighter hybrid, an avenger/invoker multi-class and a sorcerer... take that how you will.

Edit: Oh, yeah and a Ranger... ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads