D&D 4E 4e classes and mechanics for other settings

tecnowraith

First Post
Do you think the way 4e works from mechanics and mostly Classes we can see a way to do a gunfighter in a steampunk to modern fantasy games? I can almost see a gun fight type class have abilities and powers done in the of gun-fu from John Woo films or Gun-kata from Equilibrium movie.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Once I get my hands on the books I plan on doing exactly that.

I plan on taking the Ranger and turning him into a gunslinger. I may need to reword some powers and abilities but I think it can be done.

I personally would love to see if 4th edition has a Urban Arcana, to have a martial character with gun-kata.

Dark080matter

First Post
I like this idea, mainly because the Power system is essentially completely modular and seems able to handle many different variations within it's framework. The integration of various powers into similar mechanics is the first big step that needed to be taken before something like this could really be done.

I mean, the underlying math of the Power system is very obvious, unlike the weird obfuscations of 3.5 and past editions where different classes had completely separated abilities, daily preparations, power levels, and class progressions.

I hope we see some interesting variations on the system when the rules system (and OGL or whatever it's being called) are released and available.

arscott

First Post
Working on a sample adventure along those lines... Teaser below

[SBLOCK]Specimen Handler Level 1 Soldier
Medium Natural Humaniod 100 xp
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +4
HP 31; Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude14; Reflex 13; Will 12
Speed 6
Tazer (standard; at will)• Lightning, Weapon
+8 vs. AC; 1d8+2 lightning damage, and target is dazed (save ends).
Painful Shock (standard; recharge 5 6)• Lightning, Weapon
Attack a dazed enemy; +8 vs. AC; 2d8+2 lightning damage, and target is stunned.
Alignment Unaligned Languages English
Skills Insight +5
Str 15 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Wis 11 (+0)
Con 15 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Cha 12 (+1)

Specimen Collector Level 1 Artillery
Medium Natural Humaniod 100 xp
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +1
HP 24; Bloodied 12
AC 12; Fortitude11; Reflex 13; Will 11
Speed 6
Sudden kick (standard; at will)
+5 vs. AC; 1d6-1 damage, and this creature shifts one square.
Dart Pistol (standard; at will) •Poison, Weapon
Range 15/30; +6 vs. AC; 1d6+3 poison damage, and target is slowed (save ends).
Alignment Unaligned Languages English, Goblin
Skills Acrobatics +8
Str 9 (-1) Dex 17 (+3) Wis 12 (+1)
Con 11 (+0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 10 (+0)
[/SBLOCK]

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
tecnowraith said:
I can almost see a gun fight type class have abilities and powers done in the of gun-fu from Ang Lee films or Gun-kata from Equilibrium movie.
Gun-fu and Ang Lee?

I'm sure you meant John Woo.

We'll forgive you, this time.

Cyronax

Explorer
tecnowraith said:
Do you think the way 4e works from mechanics and mostly Classes we can see a way to do a gunfighter in a steampunk to modern fantasy games? I can almost see a gun fight type class have abilities and powers done in the of gun-fu from John Woo films or Gun-kata from Equilibrium movie.

I am already thinking about ways to run a Dune-style campaign which melds sci-fi with fantasy in ways different than Star Wars. That said, Star Wars SAGA Rules might be a great resource for getting tech items, droids, and ships into a 4e campaign.

I just bought the book, but the static defenses are already there for many items and vehicles and that's one great foundation to stick on to the probably more robust 4e D&D skill set.

SWSE, the 4th 4th Edition corerulebook?

C.I.D.

Remove ads