• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Creature Collection from Fiery Dragon

Glyfair

Explorer
I just picked up the 4E Creature Collection from RPGNow. I scanned through it, and mostly focused on things I would use now (the party in my game is 4th).

The creatures seem to be of sound design, although only using them in play would be a fair test. I did notice a seeming focus on shifting 3 squares as an ability (a couple of times in a small sample size).

The levels of creatures seem to be well balanced. At the high end we have the Mithril Golem (32) and Athentia, the Great Sphinx (33). At the low end we have ratmen and the various goblin races.

We do see a lot of the classic Scarred Land creatures. As mentioned above, we have the Mithril Golem and ratmen. We also have a section for the Slarecian Legacies, wrath dragons, the proud and unhallowed.

One touch I like is the appendices. Appendix 1 contains templates, appendix 2 contains basic NPCs (more on that later), Appendix 2A has race templates and appendix 3 is the mandatory "creatures by level" section.

The Basic NPCs appendix has an NPC from each of the core classes every 5 levels. So, we have a 5th level wizard, and one at 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th. The could be quite useful and I felt unexpected for this book.

The PDF is toward the higher end of PDF prices ($17.50 now at RPGNow). Still, I think the value is great. Monster books lend themselves well to PDF, since you really only need the monsters you are using at the table.

Anyone else grab it?

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
I added it to my shopping cart.

I love the Scarred Lands additions.... it bodes well for a 4e Scarred Lands, a campaign setting PERFECT for 4e.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Glyfair

Explorer
I love the Scarred Lands additions.... it bodes well for a 4e Scarred Lands, a campaign setting PERFECT for 4e.
Oddly enough, I will be using the monsters in an Eberron campaign. They might not be the most diametrically opposed campaigns, but there are major thematic differences.

alleynbard

First Post
Edit: A rather silly misunderstanding on my part. That will teach to me to skim while reading something else. Nothing to see here. :(

Last edited:

alleynbard

First Post
I added it to my shopping cart.

I'm looking forward to this one.

That would definitely turn my head. I really enjoyed Scarred Lands. That would be a guaranteed sale for me.

Glyfair

Explorer
I have a ton of minis (when I say a ton what I really mean is a metric butt tonne) so I am not sure how much use I would get out of this product.
It's not a counter collection. It's a 4E monster book. Many of the monsters (most?) are classic Scarred Lands creatures.

alleynbard

First Post
It's not a counter collection. It's a 4E monster book. Many of the monsters (most?) are classic Scarred Lands creatures.

Wow, don't mind me. I am not sure how I misread that. My only excuse is I was multitasking at the time (very poorly it seems) and I didn't read the entire post/thread.

I feel rather silly now. Actually, I feel just plain stupid. I apologize for being a brainless twit.

But the book sounds exciting, now that I have properly parsed what you were talking about. I need to check it out.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads