• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I liked the coffee analogy for what a healing surge does the best. Very relatable. If I ever pull a 4e element into an osr game that I run I'm going to make all healing coffee-based.

edit: or maybe tea-based, for what is a potion but a specific kind of tea?
Potions are Energy Drinks much less efficient than being inspired though.

Aldarc

Legend
I do think 5 minute short rests in 4e were better than an hour. It worked well in the fiction where, for me, an hour often clashes.
There was a lot of space between 5 minutes and 1 hour that WotC could have explored. I'm not sure why they settled on 1 hour. I do wonder whether it will change in the revision, but I see WotC more likely abandoning short rests entirely in favor of putting everyone on the same full rest schedule.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Then why spend your time complaining about WotC era D&D when you have a houseruled version of an edition that you enjoy, very likely aren't going to move on from, and doesn't affect your table in any way?
Because it is, obviously, in my interests to do my little tiny part to shift the mainstream toward my point of view; same as the story-now crew do their bit to shift the mainstream toward theirs, and so forth.

I mean, if WotC came out with a version of the game that could be made into something I'd play/run without having to kitbash it into unrecognizability, I'd very likely adopt it in a flash. During the 5e playtest I was all set to switch over to 5e, given their promises of modularity within the rules and how it could as-written be made to play like any prior edition...but once 5e was released in finished form it became immediately clear those promises had been completely abandoned and to make it play anything like 0e or 1e would require a from-the-ground-up rebuild.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You just made me realise how interesting doing death saves like this could be.

1st death save you roll 3d20 and if any is over 10 you live.

2nd death save you roll 2d20.

After that 1d20.

Hmm... i think i like it!
I'd stop at the 3d20. You get one shot. Three dice.

Otherwise you're giving them in effect 6 chances to make the save rather than 3.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There was a lot of space between 5 minutes and 1 hour that WotC could have explored. I'm not sure why they settled on 1 hour.
For much of the playtest the optional Healer’s Kit Dependency rule in the DMG was the standard. That 1 hour was assumed to be taken up mostly with cleaning and binding wounds, rather than just taking a breather.
I do wonder whether it will change in the revision, but I see WotC more likely abandoning short rests entirely in favor of putting everyone on the same full rest schedule.
😢

Remove ads