• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E feats: impressions

ProfessorCirno said:
Sure they will.

Not giving fighters plate is the equivilant to just taking away one of their feats. There isn't a single reason for a fighter NOT to take plate - not *one*. Nor is there any reason for them not to take plate as soon as they can. I would understand the "NO PLATE FOR YOU" if it was universal, but denying it to fighters while giving it to other classes just seems mean. And this is the fighter. You can't hold the feat over his head and laugh as he jumps up and down and says "STOP IT GUUUUYYYYYS, THIS ISN'T FUNNY."
It's only one point of AC. It gives you -2 ACP you didn't have before. Sorry, but while it's good, it's not a "must have".

NMcCoy

Explorer
I believe the cold feats have been mentioned previously, but not, I think, in the context of a rogue with a frost dagger. To recap:
(Heroic Feat) Wintertouched: Gain combat advantage against foe vulnerable to cold
(Paragon Feat) Lasting Frost: Target hit with cold power gains vulnerable cold 5

So the key question is: Does a cold weapon add the cold keyword to your powers?

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Incenjucar said:
I actually like that fighters don't start off with plate. For once, we will not have fighters automatically ALL in plate.
I like that there are reasons to wear scale armor. In 3e, there were basically only two types of armor that people used: mithril shirt and full plate. Now, there's a decent tradeoff with each type.

Plate's only +1 AC better than scale, but it has much more of a check penalty, and there's a paragon level feat that removes scale's speed penalty.

Destil

Explorer
Atlatl Jones said:
Plate's only +1 AC better than scale, but it has much more of a check penalty, and there's a paragon level feat that removes scale's speed penalty.
This. +1 AC or +1 Speed? Both can be yours... for a feat as a fighter.

Pity the poor paladin who gets stuck with the decision being made for him...

Yeah; Dwarves don't care.The rules make me think Dwarves like plate mail, axes and hammers. I, for one, find my fantasy sensibilities offended.

Rystil Arden

First Post
NMcCoy said:
I believe the cold feats have been mentioned previously, but not, I think, in the context of a rogue with a frost dagger. To recap:
(Heroic Feat) Wintertouched: Gain combat advantage against foe vulnerable to cold
(Paragon Feat) Lasting Frost: Target hit with cold power gains vulnerable cold 5

So the key question is: Does a cold weapon add the cold keyword to your powers?
From what I've heard, indeed. The frost property will allow you to convert all weapon damage to cold damage as a free action, along with extra crit and a daily power.

Ginnel

Explorer
small pumpkin man said:
It's only one point of AC. It gives you -2 ACP you didn't have before. Sorry, but while it's good, it's not a "must have".
exactly just use that same feat on the scale profiency, so a fighter with that feat and scale has the same armor as the fighter with plate but has less ACP, okay you take your plate i'll stick with my scale.

Ok the fighter with plate can take a feat I imagine to improve AC by 1 possibly lowering the ACP by one as well but still, thats only 1 AC improvement while Mr scale fighter has an extra feat it all works out.

From the look at what people are saying there are now going to be reasons why all fighters/clerics don't wear plate, and why rangers/rogues don't all just wear Mithril chain shirts, I'm really hoping it works out this way.

Felonius

First Post
Twf

Vael said:
I'm guessing no. Until you hit Epic, you don't actually make an attack with each weapon (unless you're using Ranger Powers that do so), so you're either striking with one weapon or another, gaining a +1 dmg from the other.
So it doesn't matter if you have a rusty kitchen knife or a flaming adamantite dagger +4 in your offhand? In both cases the actual effects are same (assuming you attack with your mainhand weapon of course)?

Remove ads