• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E feats: impressions

themilkman

First Post
ProfessorCirno said:
There are a few things about the feats that REALLY bother me. Such as fighters not starting with plate. Or the two weapon fighting feat not allowing you to fight with two weapons.

It totally lets you fight with two weapons...

Just not at the same time.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Celebrim said:
Great moogly googly. Yeah, that indeed qualifies as a must have. You spells will endure nearly a half round longer on average. They better be really careful never ever ever to publish anything that stacks with that. Anything that gave an additional -2 to saves would be BROKEN.

Spending some points on charisma isn't so bad. You don't need to spend points on Dex because your Int can cover it. You don't need to spend points on Str because it doesn't do much for you. So you are going to spend points on Int, Con and either Wis or Cha but not both. Might as well be Charisma.
I believe an Orb Wizard can give an enemy a -Wis bonus to save 1/encounter. I believe these stack--I mentioned it in my Minor Questions thread.

ForumFerret

Explorer
eh, two weapon fighting provides a damage bonus - and Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon Defense stack with each other, as far as I can tell. so +1 damage, +1 AC. It could have been a lot worse.

The only thing it didn't really cover is how off-hand weapon magical bonuses are adjucated. Do you get additional magical damage from the off-hand weapon...?

Also, the Durable feat looks -excellent-. Adds +2 Healing Surges - +50% effective hit points! Yes, please!

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
ForumFerret said:
eh, two weapon fighting provides a damage bonus - and Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon Defense stack with each other, as far as I can tell. so +1 damage, +1 AC. It could have been a lot worse.

The only thing it didn't really cover is how off-hand weapon magical bonuses are adjucated. Do you get additional magical damage from the off-hand weapon...?

I'm guessing no. Until you hit Epic, you don't actually make an attack with each weapon (unless you're using Ranger Powers that do so), so you're either striking with one weapon or another, gaining a +1 dmg from the other.

So a Rogue with TWF and wielding a +3 Frost Dagger and a +3 Thundering Dagger declares an attack with one of those weapons, and adds +1 dmg, which is an abstraction of the advantage of weilding two weapons.

Incenjucar

Legend
I actually like that fighters don't start off with plate. For once, we will not have fighters automatically ALL in plate.

As for the damage bonus from TWF, just assume that the extra damage is from being able to use the other weapon to make a better opening, not actually a strike.

Stalker0

Legend
Keep in mind their are some innate advantages to TWF that we have not had before.

1) No penalties to attack rolls now.

2) Weapon choice has a far different effect. Your about to use your big daily, the x3 monster. Do you want the 1d12 damage with a +2 attack roll, or do you go for the safety, using your short sword with a +3 attack.

3) Magic powers have limits. If I have 2 magic swords, that's 2 encounter powers I can use, or 2 dailies.

Stalker0

Legend
Incenjucar said:
I actually like that fighters don't start off with plate. For once, we will not have fighters automatically ALL in plate.

Agreed, I like that plate is now a true benefit, one that has to be earned. I'm especially happy people will actually have to pay feats to get better armor, but that armor choice will stay competitive throughout the game.

Kaodi

Hero
Do any of the channel divinity feats give you an ability that would suit a cleric whose god has dominion over anguish, lost causes and revenge?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Incenjucar said:

Sure they will.

Not giving fighters plate is the equivilant to just taking away one of their feats. There isn't a single reason for a fighter NOT to take plate - not *one*. Nor is there any reason for them not to take plate as soon as they can. I would understand the "NO PLATE FOR YOU" if it was universal, but denying it to fighters while giving it to other classes just seems mean. And this is the fighter. You can't hold the feat over his head and laugh as he jumps up and down and says "STOP IT GUUUUYYYYYS, THIS ISN'T FUNNY."

Remove ads