D&D 4E 4e half-orc art

klofft

Explorer
4e changed the origins and descriptions of half-orcs in interesting ways. However, because they are so different from previous editions, art for them has been very hard to come by. Does anyone have any links to the more-human-looking half-orcs of 4e, besides the art in PH2? Or even stuff that is close enough that half-orcs don't look more or less like orcs?

Quickleaf

Legend
You're kidding me? I just googled "half-Orc 4e" and there was a bunch of stuff.

4e_half-orcs.jpg

klofft

Explorer
No, I'm not kidding. And you posted the art from PH2...which I said I already had.

The point is that most of those images found in that search do not match the description provided in the book, which says that 4e half-orcs skew more closely to human heritage rather than orc heritage. That's what I'm looking for.

Quickleaf

Legend
No, I'm not kidding. And you posted the art from PH2...which I said I already had.

The point is that most of those images found in that search do not match the description provided in the book, which says that 4e half-orcs skew more closely to human heritage rather than orc heritage. That's what I'm looking for.

You mean *more* human than the PH2 picture? That's pretty darn human looking by D&D standards over the editions.

Does it need to specifically be published in a WotC 4e book?

For example...

Half_Orc_Paladin.jpg

OhGodtheRats

First Post
I'll do some digging, but the Essentials books has what I like to call Half-Orc BlueBloods. I'm not sure if it was a shift in art direction for any particular purpose or not, but the Essentials line is filled with blue/grey skinned half orcs that are definitely not Orc but most assuredly don't match the art we got in the PHB2.
You can also see a transition to these from the PHB2 Half-Orcs if you keep an eye on the art galleries from Dragon. It's a little weird but since a lot of the new art is pretty killer I don't see harm in a little evolution in the race. Still odd though.
-Jared
D&D Outsider and Lame Art Nerd

klofft

Explorer
OhGodTheRats, as a self-professed "Lame Art Nerd," do you know of any specific examples from Dungeon or Dragon? I found the article on half-orcs, which only had one picture and it wasn't very good. I'll also look in Essentials - didn't think to check there.

Tzarevitch, I'll check the Lineage 2 orcs. Thanks.

Quickleaf, that example is much more what I was looking for. I'm not looking for more human-looking than PH2 - I was merely stating that I already had that pic. Google search for "half-Orc 4e" turns up the PH2 pic...and a bunch of half-orcs that look like orcs.

frankthedm

First Post
Foundthis relevant blog post... http://mikemonaco.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/much-love-for-half-orcs/

You mean *more* human than the PH2 picture? That's pretty darn human looking by D&D standards over the editions.
The real problem is that any less orcish and they will just look like an ugly human, which was the litmus test for a player character half orc in 1E. And that is a real problem because FAR too much art depicts people as idealized so finding an ugly human can take some effort.

1E Race line up...

Attachments

• phbrac.jpg
    phbrac.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 1,238
Last edited:

martincwday

First Post
4e changed the origins and descriptions of half-orcs in interesting ways. However, because they are so different from previous editions, art for them has been very hard to come by. Does anyone have any links to the more-human-looking half-orcs of 4e, besides the art in PH2? Or even stuff that is close enough that half-orcs don't look more or less like orcs?

Sadly the only other bit of 4E half-orc artwork I can think of is in Gardmore Abbey (Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Madness at Gardmore Abbey Art)), and he's even more orc-ish than those seen in PH2...

Remove ads