D&D 4E [4e] just some feat ideas feedback request

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like that.

Probing Advance: When you use your move action to shift or move less than your normal speed on your turn, your melee attacks that turn inflict +1d4 extra damage the first time you hit an enemy you were not adjacent to before you moved, but were adjacent to after the move.

I think the Warlord could use a move action that models improved vantage point from moving around

Tony Vargas

Legend
Dammit, I had a bunch more and the forum ate 'em...
I have been complaining that the game over rewards specialization for some time... only ever using 1 at-will... wonder if we could configure encouragement for that versatility.
One thing the forum ate was a martial style that I was trying to make do that.

One of the feats had a benefit along the line of: When you use a martial attack power that you have not already used in this encounter, you gain a 1/Tier bonus to damage or to the distance you shift or move an enemy (your choice).

There was a bigger benefit for switching out weapons...

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Probing Advance: When you use your move action to shift or move less than your normal speed on your turn, your melee attacks that turn inflict +1d4 extra damage the first time you hit an enemy you were not adjacent to before you moved, but were adjacent to after the move.
... I started writing that I'd take out the bolded part as unnecessary - but then I figured out, that's the clincher that makes it charge-incompatible!

Well played!

MoutonRustique

Explorer
[...] There was a bigger benefit for switching out weapons...
Cool and evocative feat name - when you attack with a weapon from a weapon group you have not used during this encounter, you deal +2 extra damage for every weapon belonging to different weapon groups you attacked with since the start of the encounter.

Spike and Hammer - when you hit a target with a [pick], you can drop that weapon to gain a +5 extra damage bonus
to your next attack with a [hammer] or [mace] against the target before eont. Against an [object] or [construct], the damage bonus is +10 extra damage instead.

I am Legolas! - when you make a ranged weapon attack with a bow, your next melee weapon attack with a dagger made before eont deals +1d6 extra damage. When you make a melee weapon attack with a dagger, your next ranged weapon attack with a bow before the eont doesn't provoke opportunity attacks and deals +1d6 extra damage.

I was toying with the idea of restricting it to the same target, but then I thought "Naah! Legolas hits whomever he wants to hit."

masteraleph

Explorer
I'll note that a lot of these get into the fiddly bonus realm- the kind that cause long encounters because players are forever figuring out how much damage they're dealing and calculating/recalculating (basically: if it's hard to have a flowchart that says you do XdY + Z damage, with two or three variations, it may take too long).

Also- DMs should make it clear, if they're using these weapon swap feats, that they're limiting the number of free actions per turn. I'm kind of picturing a Ki Focus user with a Disembodied Hand/Rakshasa Claw using 5 different weapons by the end of Turn 2.

With "Spike and Hammer"- I'd actually make it something like: "When you hit a target on a weapon attack with a [pick], and are holding a hammer, roll an attack roll with the hammer. If it hits, the attack deals 5 extra damage. If that roll is a 20, deal 10 extra damage instead."

Also note that "+5 extra damage bonus" is mixing together two things- extra damage and a bonus to damage [rolls]. You should pick one- extra damage applies to damage regardless of whether there's a damage roll (e.g. Brutal Barrage), while a bonus to damage rolls requires a damage roll.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've nothing /useful/ to say, but...

I'll note that a lot of these get into the fiddly bonus realm
Well, they are trying to be 4e feats... ;P

...4e feats got pretty situational and fiddly, already, and trying to encourage a style of combat/character - generalist - that the game, itself, has always tended to discourage, is probably going to have to double-down on that.

With "Spike and Hammer"- I'd actually make it something like: "When you hit a target on a weapon attack with a [pick], and are holding a hammer, roll an attack roll with the hammer....
Not a commentary on the feat, but just the name made me think of Hammer & Anvil (a Warlord power I've always liked), and "When you hit a target with a weapon attack using a hammer, and are also holding an anvil..." just popped into my head.

...sorry, everyone, please continue with relevant posts...

Tony Vargas

Legend
Cool and evocative feat name - when you attack with a weapon from a weapon group you have not used during this encounter, you deal +2 extra damage for every weapon belonging to different weapon groups you attacked with since the start of the encounter.
I assume you're familiar with the DDI Dragon 'Weaponmaster' Fighter build?

You could incorporate that. Weaponmaster's Gambit?

Combined Arms?

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Not a commentary on the feat, but just the name made me think of Hammer & Anvil (a Warlord power I've always liked), and "When you hit a target with a weapon attack using a hammer, and are also holding an anvil..." just popped into my head.

...sorry, everyone, please continue with relevant posts...
That... that is probably the most relevant post of the year! :)
[MENTION=6694750]masteraleph[/MENTION]
With regards to "fiddlyness", I'm banking on the rather large bonus (often +5) to help it be remembered. Also, I'm going towards feats that build playstyles - in these cases, since taking advantage of them is an active goal, I'm thinking they won't tend to be forgotten.

With "Spike and Hammer"- I'd actually make it something like: "When you hit a target on a weapon attack with a [pick], and are holding a hammer, roll an attack roll with the hammer. If it hits, the attack deals 5 extra damage. If that roll is a 20, deal 10 extra damage instead."
This feels like it would work very well as a power:

Free action (1/turn)
Trigger: you hit with a weapon attack using a [pick] and are wielding a [hammer]
Effect: make an attack roll with the hammer against the target. You gain a +4 bonus to this attack roll (increase by 2 per tier). On a hit, the triggering attack deals 5 extra damage, on a natural 20, the extra damage is 10.

*the attack bonus is there to allow easier access to the damage buff, and to reduce the gear requirements.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
New question : would a feat that allowed for Magic Stones (the druid power) to target a single creature be worthwhile if ...

a) you make a single attack roll, but deal 3d4 damage ?
b) you make three attack rolls and deal an extra d4 of damage for every hit beyond the first ?
c) you make three attack rolls and deal an extra d4 of damage and push 1 for every hit beyond the first ?

As an extra : what about if the power granted complete freedom when targeting, and every hit beyond the first against a target granted 1d4 extra damage and push 1 ? (sort of "even better" option c) )

Note : I'm keeping my considerations in the Heroic tier.

Remove ads