4E Keep your Shadowfell- A story (three) hours.

Pedestrian

Explorer
Goonalan,

I think you said you can only use healing surges 1/encounter. Have I understood you correctly, that this is what you mean?

If so, then as I have interpreted the rules, you are in incorrect. You can use a Second Wind 1/encounter. The Cleric's Healing Word, the Paladin's Lay on Hands and... anything else that might have been around will work alongside that. So, potentially, a single character might have benefitted from (goes to check KotS)

1 Second Wind
2 Healing Words
1 Lay on Hands
1 Healing Strike
1 Paladin's Judgement
1 Beacon of Hope (doesn't use Surges, and will increase all other healing done by the Cleric to the target by 5, so use early).

in a single combat

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, we played that- or rather I worked that out, it was the second wind once per encounter when my players do their usual charge into the midst of the enemy and get as far away from the annoying Cleric as possible, usually in search of a cinematic death... for the End of Level Bad Guy from Critical Hit, that's what normally happens in 3.5e anyway, fume.

Thanks for the many many replies- 4e is working so far, as I say Vandal Hearts the RPG rather than D&D but...

Pedestrian

Explorer
I think I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that last point Goonalan. It's an argument that is spinning around the internet that, at this point, seems unresolvable due to the intensely subjective (and, at heart, theoretical) nature of the statement.

In short, I'll get my coat.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Loup Du Noir said:
I think I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that last point Goonalan. It's an argument that is spinning around the internet that, at this point, seems unresolvable due to the intensely subjective (and, at heart, theoretical) nature of the statement.

In short, I'll get my coat.

I didn't bother taking my coat off, I haven't played enough of 4e yet of course, so I should just shut up really and see what happens, as always though a fun journey. Whatever happens I'll be gaming 3e, 3.5e or 4e- pesky humanoids will be up to no good and mail clad Action Heroes will be making them pay.

Thanks as always.

rbingham2000

Explorer
Ouch. Bad dice luck hurt your party big time, especially when that ambush went down in the second encounter.

The Defenders did their job well in keeping the Dragonshields away from the others, though we had some VERY bad luck on the Rogue's part with the Skirmisher, which meant the Cleric had to blow some major healing surges early just to keep him alive.

Still, someone with a ranged attack (the Wizard perhaps), should have gone after the Wyrmpriest with Magic Missiles and other ranged powers and softened the bastard up a bit while the Cleric and Rogue kept the Skirmisher busy with the flanking action.

The fact that everyone also blew their dailies on the first encounter instead of saving them for the later one also hurt them big. The Wizard especially could have used an area-effect power on either the Dragonshields to soften them up against the defenders, or the Wyrmpriest to soften him up against the party in general, and whatever dailies the Rogue and Cleric had would have helped tremendously against the Skirmisher.

Remove ads