D&D 4E 4E port of 3.0 Devoted Defender; comments welcome

Fimmtiu

First Post
Here's a Fighter paragon path based on the Devoted Defender prestige class from 3.0's Sword and Fist. I'm looking for balance suggestions, particularly. The intent was (a) to give the fighter some of the ally-protecting abilities of the paladin, with a grittier and less magical feel to them, and (b) to make interesting use of the fighter's class features, which none of the other fighter paragon paths do. What do you think?

DEVOTED DEFENDER

Prerequisite: Fighter class

You are an unparalleled bodyguard, constantly alert for danger and ready to avert harm from your charges.

DEVOTED DEFENDER PATH FEATURES

Defender's Alacrity (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you and all adjacent allies gain a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex defenses until the start of your next turn.

Defender's Disruption (11th level): If you hit a foe with an attack granted by your Combat Challenge class feature, the target takes a -4 penalty to all attacks until the start of his next turn. [Basically an upgraded version of the Distracting Shield feat.]

Current plan:

Defender's Finesse (16th level): When your Combat Challenge class feature grants you an attack, you may use any at-will power instead of a melee basic attack. [The intent here is to allow Tide of Iron, which will sometimes let you push the enemy out of range of his target, thus negating his attack. Quite possibly not useful enough, since (a) you need a marked adjacent enemy, (b) you have to hit, and (c) the target of the attack can't be on the other side of the enemy, because then you can only push him onto your buddy.]

The other option, which I originally prefered for its simplicity, but have since discarded:

Defender's Finesse (16th level): If you hit a foe with an attack granted by your Combat Challenge class feature, you may slide the enemy 1 square.

[More powerful, since (c) above is no longer relevant. I didn't initially think this was overpowered, as you can only have one CC attack per round, and it's not going to stop monsters with reach. My only worry was that it would be too effective against solo monsters, but every single paragon-level solo monster either has reach or relies on ranged attacks, so that's no big deal. (Except the berbalang -- but nobody cares about the berbalang.) The problem is that the enemy can't shift back on his next turn without incurring another precisely-set-up CC attack, which makes the Defender a hilarious shoving machine. Conga line, everybody!]

------
Bloody Exhortation (Devoted Defender Attack 11)

You inspire a comrade with your heroic dedication in combat.

Encounter * Healing, Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage
Effect: One ally who can see you regains hit points as if they had spent a healing surge.
------
[Compare with Paladin's Judgment (Paladin Attack 1):
- encounter instead of daily
- LOS instead of 5 squares
- conscious, non-blind allies only
- ten levels higher
- doesn't actually spend the ally's surge]

------
Harm's Way (Devoted Defender Utility 12)

You hurl yourself between an ally and imminent danger, interposing your body to protect them.

Encounter * Martial
Immediate Interrupt Close
burst 2
Trigger: An ally within the burst is attacked
Effect: Slide the ally 2 squares. You shift into the square they initially occupied and become the target of the attack in their place.
------
[Compare with Angelic Intercession (Paladin Utility 16):
- encounter instead of daily
- 2 squares instead of 5
- 4 levels lower
- not teleportation
- moves the ally
- must be used before you know whether the attack is a hit or not]

------
Bulwark of Defense (Devoted Defender Attack 20)

You stand out in the throng of battle, slashing your foes, and parrying and blocking to defend the allies that rally to you.

Daily * Martial, Stance, Weapon
Minor Action Personal

Effect:
You and all allies who end their turn adjacent to you gain a +4 bonus to AC and Reflex defenses. All enemies who end their turn adjacent to you take ongoing 10 damage (save ends) as long as you are able to make opportunity attacks.
------
[Compare with Reaper's Stance (Fighter Utility 25), etc.]

Last edited:

cdrcjsn

First Post
Neat writeup. You obviously thought about the balance by comparing it to other powers.

I was about to comment that the Defender's Finesse ability could be duplicated by a feat (Heavy Blade Opportunity) but then remembered that the Combat Challenge isn't technically an Opportunity Attack. With that said, the power seems weak from that standpoint. I don't think it would break anything if you let any of your at-will attacks work with the Combat Challenge.

Harm's way should be "you shift 2...". Slide is for forced movement.

Last edited:

Fimmtiu

First Post
Thanks! Fixed. I'm worried that Defender's Finesse might be one of those things that you need to playtest to see whether they're over-powerful. In retrospect, I think option #2 is definitely over the top, so I'm going to go with the "allowing at-will powers" approach for now.

Last edited:

Remove ads