D&D 4E [4e] Rant - Sorcerers Without Spellbooks Come From Mean DM

WizarDru

Adventurer
Psion said:
To make it clear, for those who missed it, this is a satire of SKR's (flawed IMO) argument regarding why Drow "sunlight decaying" weapons were elimitnated.
Considering the obscurity of the reference, I'd say that was most of us. Thansk for the clarification. I just thought Gez was back on the rock.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
WizarDru said:
I just thought Gez was back on the rock.

I feel it is important to point out that just because the reference is now clarified, it still doesn't mean that Gez isn't back "on the rock".

Mercule

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
Considering the obscurity of the reference, I'd say that was most of us. Thansk for the clarification.
Indeed. I've actually read SKR's explanation on the drow weaponry, and I didn't catch the referrence. Of course, about the time the "Highlander quickening" came up, I was so blinded by the stupidity of it all that I disconnected.

Personally, I hope that neither Sorcerers or Wizards remain in 4E. Both are too extreme. Some sort of hybrid would be much better. Monte's AU stuff is okay, but not exactly where I'd go with it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I stay by my argument. And drnuncheon has a point - by the core rules, you can't use the spellbook. You have to get scrolls. So known spells are part of the classes all around.

And the spell stealing idea isn't that bad. Not in that form (that's too Highlander), but in the Archwizards Trilogy there's a sorcerer that learns spells by mimicking them. I even made it a special ability for sorcerers once (but you had to do some skill checks and the spells would go away after some time)

jasper

Rotten DM
could give us who are buzy with rabid weasels in our pants a srd reference or page number on not being able to use a wizard's spell book.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Mercule said:
...Of course, about the time the "Highlander quickening" came up, I was so blinded by the stupidity of it all that I disconnected...
The scary thing is that the "Highlander quickening" thing is the exact method sorcerers in the book "The Legend of Nightfall" used to gain another sorcerer's powers...

Argent Silvermage

First Post
WizarDru said:
Considering the obscurity of the reference, I'd say that was most of us. Thansk for the clarification. I just thought Gez was back on the rock.
There is nothing saying he is'nt back onthe rock. But I understand the comments now.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Personally I think this is a complete non issue.

A sorcerer can automatically pick any spell they want when they learn the new spells as they level.

The only reason you need spellbooks as treasure in the first place is to support Wizards - who shouldn't be adventuring anyway in my opinion - let them stay in the cities and study off each other.

Sorcerer's don't need a way to vacuum in the spells of those defeat, they can already learn any spell they are allowed to know up to their limits.

Wizard's can learn spells off of other wizards by taking their books or studying under them - as they always have.

The fact that many arcane casters no longer have books is a bad for Wizards - but they already have a number of other means of getting new spells. They get two for free at every level anyway.

Remove ads