• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Realms predictions

Mighty Veil

First Post
Not your wants or wishes, but predictions. No more than three. No need to give a long background to your predictions too.

Mine:

1) Myth Drannor will be the new Waterdeep. The Realms' great city and seat of power to the elves. Shadowdale is under its protection.

2) Ruins of Waterdeep. The city will unfortunely fall and under-mountain will spill out.

3) Zhental Keep and the Black Network will be ran by some devil or fiend. Fzoul will be #2 again. Still very much evil but they protect the cities they control. The Zhents prosper in this era.

Aloïsius

First Post
Mighty Veil said:
2) Ruins of Waterdeep. The city will unfortunely fall and under-mountain will spill out.

They said that Waterdeep still exist, and not as a ruin. Same thing for Sylverimoon, btw, or Cormyr.

FourthBear

First Post
Aloïsius said:
They said that Waterdeep still exist, and not as a ruin. Same thing for Sylverimoon, btw, or Cormyr.

Yes, while creating the Ruins of Waterdeep does sounds pretty interesting, I would very much doubt they would do so. In each edition of the Realms, Waterdeep has been the most detailed of the cities. I don't think they would want to invalidate that much text and background. I suspect that any destruction or devastation post-Spellplague will center on those Realms areas that haven't gotten primary detailing, like Thesk or Halruaa. They've gotten enough history that a change would feel meaningful, but not so much that they would be rewriting huge amounts of material.

I would predict that Lathander picks up Amauntor's portfolio of the sun. That was left dangling at the end of the Grand History of the Realms.

I'll predict that the mages of Halruaa have major devastation in their nation, pretty much wiping them out as a force. With so many arcane-heavy powers in the Realms, I think they're a ripe target.

hopeless

Adventurer
Predictions

Mighty Veil said:
Not your wants or wishes, but predictions. No more than three. No need to give a long background to your predictions too.

Mine:

1) Myth Drannor will be the new Waterdeep. The Realms' great city and seat of power to the elves. Shadowdale is under its protection.

3) Zhental Keep and the Black Network will be ran by some devil or fiend. Fzoul will be #2 again. Still very much evil but they protect the cities they control. The Zhents prosper in this era.

Me I figure Waterdeep will become the new Skullport a hive of villainy and scum and replaces the spot that Luskan once held.

Myth Drannor might be a bastion of civilisation but the dales has been largely decimated with what few settlements either in the hands of the Zhents or what few surviving heroes of the previous age trying to cope in the new political climate.

Netheril is the real centre of this new era but its far from what it could be or wants to be as it competes with those its allied with to retain its dominance and the real story lies in how its hold over the realms is threatened and how for they will go to keep their strangelhold however Alaundo's prophecies still apply and are being used to dictate a possible way out of this dark era but both sides are struggling to understand these ancient prophecies as new forces still appear both good and evil whom might turn the tide or bring destruction to everyone...

And it falls to a new rank of chosen to discover the truth but these chosen are not those of ancient mystra but of another deity entirely.... or should I say deities...

The Little Raven

First Post
Mighty Veil said:

I think that Waterdeep will remain a central hub city, as it always has. I believe Myth Drannor will become the home of the eladrin on Faerun, and the seat of the Elven Court. I think the drow of Cormanthor will pose a threat to them, as will the Zhents of Shadowdale.

I think Waterdeep (as stated) will remain much the same, and Undermountain will become a more prominent adventuring spot.

I think Cyric's imprisonment will have an interesting effect on the Zhents, especially if Fzoul is still around and in power (and Bane wanting to take back his followers entirely). I almost think they're going to treat Cyric like they treat Tharuzdun: among the most powerful, dangerous deities, trapped by the others because he is TOO dangerous to be free.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Mourn said:
I almost think they're going to treat Cyric like they treat Tharuzdun: among the most powerful, dangerous deities, trapped by the others because he is TOO dangerous to be free.

Unleashing powerful yet imprisoned beings is a staple of fantasy adventuring. The plots almost write themselves...

Testament

First Post
Mourn said:
I think Cyric's imprisonment will have an interesting effect on the Zhents, especially if Fzoul is still around and in power (and Bane wanting to take back his followers entirely). I almost think they're going to treat Cyric like they treat Tharuzdun: among the most powerful, dangerous deities, trapped by the others because he is TOO dangerous to be free.

Given the damage the upjumped little bastard has done in his short reign, sounds perfectly justified to me

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Thay, Mulhorand and Halruaa are completely changed.
With no schools of magic the Zulkirs will represent traditions? Or a dictatorship under Szass Tam?
Halruaa is a ghost town the tearing of the weave will decimate them.
Mulhorand will recover and be stronger than before, Thay will have a reinvigorated enemy at its borders.
What about the Rashemen? The witches will have their own tradition using the masks as a focus.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Due to the Spellstorm, I predict all cities with a large population of wizards will sustain severe damage and/or castrophic cultural change. This destruction will be brought about by the insanity of the wizards.
Cities afflicted by this will include, but not be limited to, Luskan, Waterdeep, the capital of Evermeet, the capital of Nimbral, Candlekeep, the capitals of Amn and Tethyr, all cities in Dambrath and Halruaa, all cities in Thay, all cities in Mulhorand, the capital of Aglarond, all cities in Cormyr, Shade Enclave, all cities on the Moonsea, most cities in Zahkara, many cities in Kara-Tur, and in most Underdark Cities. In Realmspace, all Spelljamming Ports will be afflicted, as magic is the basis for their existence.
Curiously, the illithid will not be affected at all, since they are psionic, not magical.

I think that, if the Alternative Reality of Abeir is merged with Toril, then Maztica will reunite with Faerun, geography and climate will change greatly, and Faerun will once more be the One Land.
I think peripherial areas will be especially subject to castrophic change. The Frozenfar may completely melt, Zakhara may alter it's position on the globe and it's shape and size, Evermeet may disappear or expand, the Hordelands will drastically alter (if Imaskari returns, or Damara, the Tuigan culture there will simply be overwhelmed.) The Raurin Desert, in my opinion, is one area that will undergo truly extreme change. Northern and equatorial Kara-Tur will probably alter beyond recognition. Maztica was never well defined, but may become so now.

The population of Toril is about to decrease in a major way. The Spellstorm will produce widespread anarchy, which will lead to something equivalent to World War. Crops will not be grown (or growable, perhaps), cities will be abandoned, trade collapse, and millions of people will starve. War and plague will decimate the survivors. The Black Death and ensuing One Hundred Years War in Europe are a good correlation (England dropped from 7 million to 2 million people.)
Most of the high level and mid level NPCs of Toril will perish, go insane, or change (if you have a PC wizard on Toril, it's high time to get out of town, as it were. Of course, your PC does not know what is coming, and by the time he or she does, it will be too late to flee, so ... better hope he or she makes that saving throw against insanity, and then find a nice deep hole to hide in for the next couple of decades.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads