D&D 4E 4e rule question - extended rest & HP's

Mengu

First Post
Did I read this right?

After an extended rest the PC gets back all his hit points.

Yes. They also recover all their encounter powers, daily powers, and healing surges, as well as any non-expendable item powers.

(How can someone even die now in 4e?)
They can't. They are invincible. DM's are now encouraged to retire and become players. :p

In the very first one shot game I ran, the paladin died in the third encounter after failing 3 death saving throws. You can read many accounts of Irontooth's TPK in KotSF, it is not just a myth.

Encounters kill PC's, not a lack of healing in between encounters. This was really no different in 3.x, as wands of Cure X Wounds were easily available for healing between encounters. In the last 3 years of our 3.5 campaign, I can't recall the last time I woke up in the morning with lingering injuries aside from the odd curse or disease.

Obryn

Hero
Did I read this right?

After an extended rest the PC gets back all his hit points.

(How can someone even die now in 4e?)
Give it a shot. Characters die pretty regularly. -Bloodied is closer than you might imagine, and 3 death saves are pretty easy to fail as well.

Being dead precludes taking extended rests. :)

-O

Dausuul

Legend
In 3.X, the party recovered all their hit points after an extended rest, too. There was just a lot of bookkeeping and jumping through hoops involved (wands of cure light wounds, clerics converting their remaining spells to cures, et cetera).

4E isn't doing things any differently in this regard. It's just dispensing with the number-crunching.

Oates

First Post
But, what if you have spent all your healing surges during the day's encounters... you will not be able to recover all your hp....

Griogre

First Post
For an *extented* rest there is no requirement to have healing surges to cure. In fact it is during extented rest where you get back healing surges. It's important to know that you get the benefits after you *complete* the extented rest. If you get jumped in the middle you are still down surges and hps. My players will often take a short rest before their extented rest.

As was mentioned, you can't take another extented rest until 12 hours after the last one.

sirtayls

First Post
agreed - it was no different in 3.x, just a lot more bookkeeping, spells, and gold pieces for the wands. 4th edition prevents the 'the party wakes up, the cleric casts all of his healing spells, the party goes back to sleep.'

Remove ads