(4e) Saga of Valor

Netherstorm

First Post
21. The Feygrove

3/12/12: We flew through a bunch of stuff today...

Saga of Valor
Book One - NyrodSpace War 3

Chapter Twenty-One: The Feygrove

Aurora Brightbolt - Unicorn-Person Ranger
Ardra - Eladrin Bladesinger
The Blue Monk - Half-Orc Monk
Ryltar - Drow Avenger
Scarlet - Human Fighter
Varis - Half-Elf Warlock

Sanctioning #: 12-03-3316723

The Blue Monk's blue-black hair fell over his angular face. Two small, sharp teeth rose up from under his lower lip, marking his perpetual frown. He was not impressed with his alternate universe counterpart. "That sucked. That Red Monk really took a beating."

"The Shaman looked like a pansy," said Ryltar.

Xiangmao the panda-person and paladin of Io, studied the drow. He had pale purple skin and a white mohawk. A long scar on the left side of his face stretched from the top of his head over his left left eye down to his chin.

She wondered how he had gotten it. The paladin was very uneasy around him, though she sensed that his devotion to his god, the Raven Queen, was deep.

Ryltar looked over to Aurora and asked her what she thought of her dark counterpart, Shade.

Aurora, her unicorn horn glinting in a ray of light, said, "She was evil... yet effective."

Varis piped up. "I found a reason why I will never be nice."

"People who are nice get picked up by pterodactyls and thrown into tar pits." Ryltar said, as he chewed on some rations. Narrow bands of light from the two suns filtered into the reliquary through arrow slits.

"One day, goodness will win over your heart," Aurora said to the boy.

Varis' skull familiar, Yasnabrinna, cackled and said "Let's watch it again!".

Scarlet muttered, "I can't believe how poor I looked..."

Ardra and Varis looked through a book they'd found in the wizard's tower. It was the Winterbole Codex, bound in white dragon scales and held talk of magical lines of power that extended from the Feywild to Gardmore Abbey. It also held notes on how the barbarians who worshiped Kava Frosthowl could channel the power to fuel their rage-based attacks.

The heroes stretched and discussed where to go next. They decided in a casual kind of way to investigate the fey grove, which was just past the orc village and the keep.

They left the reliquary, followed the outside of the abbey's wall, and climbed the ivy over the wall and into the fey grove. From the top of the wall they had a good view of the area.

The entire hillside, from the lip of the temple plateau to the outer wall, was covered in a thick, riotous tangle of trees, bushes, vines and ferns. The wood seemed ancient, undisturbed by the presence of humans and dwarves since the dawn of time, though the abbey wall hemmed it in and had checked its' spread.

Closer examination revealed that the forest's seeming pristine state was an illusion. At the northern end of the wood, rotting trellises and moss-covered paths suggested that this wild grove was once a cultivated garden. From a higher vantage point, the remains of other structures were visible amid the trees, though they seemed in danger of submerging beneath the vibrant green sea. A bell tower lifted it's head above the canopy a short distance down the slope from the temple. The remains of a small cottage lay near the outer wall in the northern edge of the grove. And a smaller building - a shrine, or tomb, perhaps - stood in a small clearing near the south end of the forest. At it's southern extreme, where the outer wall met the steep cliff of the hillside, a lone watchtower rose above the trees.

Everywhere among the greenery, the forest teemed with life. Squirrels and birds chattered and chirped in the branches, bees drifted amid blossoms, and the tracks of larger creatures crisscrossed the wood. Clouds of flies swarmed in the air, and iridescent butterflies floated on gentle breezes.

They heard the sounds of battle up ahead. Our heroes cautiously approached. They saw a band of adventurers battling six spiders.

Aurora whispered to her companions, "Remember - a unicorn always lends a helping hand."

Varis rolled his eyes.

Ryltar fixed his white eyes on the battle. "I'm not a unicorn."

Aurora looked down at the boy and said, "Poor little boy. How the drow have warped your mind! Don't worry, I'll take you back to my bungalow in the Feywild one day..." (The bungalow thing is a revenge of the giants reference... Clarissa had turned evil, and a freed prisoner said the bungalow quote to her, and Clarissa promptly beheaded him.)

"A lot of sunshine and rainbows would do your heart good."

Varis tried not to get sick. Ryltar poked him and laughed.

The other adventurers battling the spider were:

- A blonde-haired female human in scale mail. Ryltar recognized her from Olwynn. She had tried to join The Hundred along with him, but she failed the test.
- A half-orc wielding a great-axe.
- A drow wielding an eldritch blade, commanding two lolthbound goblins
- A black-haired human female firing off arcane volleys from her staff
- And.. Kurik the dwarf. The black-bearded cleric of Dispater who'd gotten the heroes kicked out of Dagger Rock.

The black-haired female flared with energy. She had a card from the deck of many things!

The Blue Monk called out to the half-orc, "Do you need help?".

The other adventurers turned, surprised. The blonde-haired female yelled, "Yes! Help us!".

The Blue Monk raced forward and kicked one of the spiders. Aurora fired off arrows that bloodied a spider. Ryltar raced forth and bloodied another.

Kurik suddenly recognized the heroes and shouted, "Run!".

The half-orc killed a spider and began backing away. Varis killed another with a spell.

Scarlet called over to Tam, the blonde-haired leader of the group, "You don't have to listen to the dwarf. Unfortunately, we have a history with him."

Tam looked at Kurik. He laughed nervously and shrugged as he continued to maneuver out of the fight.

Scarlet grabbed a spider and plunged her broken blade into it.

Ryltar phased across the field, close to Kurik, and cut into a spider. He said to the dwarf, "Don't worry, Stumpy, we're not here to kill you today."

Kurik said under his breath, "F*ckin' a**hole...".

Tam called out, "Kurik, are you sure...?"

Kurik yelled, "We gotta get out of here!"

Tam called out to her team to evacuate the area. She turned and caught Scarlet's eye. Tam nodded and said, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Scarlet replied. Tam backed into the trees. Her allies began to follow.

The drow kicked one of his goblins and hissed, "Move it, you little maggot."

The half-orc cursed in orc, "Damn it!". Three spiders bit at him as he backed out.

The Blue Monk called to him in Orc, "Brother, why are you leaving?"

The orc called back in an extremely loud voice, "Tam said we are leaving!".

"You trust her more than one of your own kind?"

The half-orc spoke back, even louder, "I trust Tam!". A spider bit him in the leg. Poison coursed through his veins.

The black-haired sorcerer lingered. Tam's voice called from the woods, "Lenna!". Lenna seemed unsure if she wanted to leave.

Ardra held out her hand and sent a spider flying. It died. She absorbed its' soul into her helm of seven deaths.

Lenna held out the Idiot card. Energy exploded from it in all directions. A nearby spider was struck dumb, unable to remember anything. Then she turned and fled into the feygrove.

Ardra killed that spider, and absorbed its' soul as well.

The spiders were killed moments later.

As she pulled her blade from a spider's corpse, Scarlet said, "Wish we had gotten that card.."

Ardra cleaned off her blade. "Well, we impressed her. I have a feeling we'll meet again."

Spider blood stained the Monk's blue robes. He said, "Too bad they didn't stick around to help us."

Ryltar suggested checking out a cottage nearby that he'd spotted. The Monk thought maybe they should pursue the mysterious other group. "They have a card," he noted.

Aurora said, "Clearly, this is all a misunderstanding."

Scarlet sheathed her blade. She looked at Aurora and said, "You never met this dwarf before. He told us to 'f*ck off. Then we beat him up."

A gentle breeze caused Aurora's hair/mane to cascade. "We must be compassionate to the dwarf. He has not been exposed to the unicorn code."

"It might be a long time before he adopts that code.."

Our heroes decided to give chase, but to try to come off as non-threatening to the other adventurers. Ardra led the heroes, following their tracks. The trail led down the winding road and then into the woods. Unfortunately, she lost the trail.

The heroes headed back the way they came. They decided to investigate a nearby bell tower.

As they got close, they spotted a pale, slender figure with long silver hair fleeing through a dark grove, her desperate footfalls making hardly a whisper. Behind her and to either side, two feline monsters pursued her in eerie silence toward the ruined bell tower. Their black, six-legged forms were hard to focus on clearly.

Spiny tentacles whipped forward from the back of one of the beasts and lashed the fleeing figure, who dropped with an agonized shriek. A rustling at the top of the tower signaled a nest of stirges, awakened to the scent of blood. On the ground, the tentacled beasts moved in for the kill.

Aurora's blink dog growled. Those creatures were displacer beasts, the blink dogs' natural enemy!

The adventurers rushed in. The displacer beasts turned and lashed out at the heroes. Scarlet approached and sliced into one of the beasts, knocking it to the ground.

Ryltar stabbed it at the same time that it struck him. Varis called forth the power of his card, scorching not only the beast with flames, but also the blink dog and the Blue Monk. The blink dog vanished, sent back to the feywild until Aurora could summon him again.

Aurora said, "I think you accidentally hit my dog."

"Yes. Accidentally."

"That's OK. I forgive you, friend."

A beast shifted and struck the Monk with a tentacle. Blood poured from his mouth, enraging him. The Monk beat the displacer beast to death.

Ryltar spotted a stirge feeding on the fallen woman's blood. He ran over and sliced at it. Most of the others joined him, as two more stirges also began to feed.

Varis dealt with the remaining displacer beast, pelting it with burning spray spells. The Blink Dog had been re-summoned. It would eventually tear out the displacer beast's throat.

The Blue Monk used his guardian whistle to teleport the unconscious silver-haired woman away from the stirges. Scarlet grabbed a stirge and smashed it against a rock, killing it.

The heroes cut down the remaining stirges, and Aurora healed the fallen eladrin.

The eladrin awakened, blinking.

"Thank you," she said in a voice as bright as silver.

"You're welcome," said the Monk.

"You have saved my life, and I am deeply in your debt."

Then the eladrin spotted Aurora, the magical unicorn-lady. She gasped. "I am honored to be in your presence!".

"I'm just glad you're safe."

The monk whispered, "Ugh, I'm going to throw up."

The silver-haired eladrin ignored him. "Come, follow me to my brother in the grove. He too will be grateful for your heroism."

Scarlet became hopeful. "Gratitude... sounds expensive."

Aurora pointed to her heart. "Scarlet, one day you'll learn that the real treasure is in here."

"No, I'm pretty sure I saw in that cube what happens to me when I learn that lesson. It's a T. Rex."

The eladrin led them through the feygrove, to where the heroes had spotted a fountain.

A font bubbled in the middle of the clearing, its' water sparkling in the light. At its' broad base was a mosaic of Bahamut battling Tiamat. The tiles that marked the beasts shapes also bore miniature runes.

Along the mosaic's perimeter were toppled walls that once must have been some manner of shrine.

A host of eladrin camped along the fallen walls, hair and mail shimmering like quicksilver. The male leader, tall and silver-eyed, looked as the heroes approached with his sister.

He yelled out, "Analastra! There you are."

Then he spotted Aurora and gasped, "A unicorn-person!". All of the eladrin knelt down, honored to be in the presence of one so pure.

Aurora made her horn glow, for effect.

Analastra explained to her brother, "They saved me from displacer beasts.."

He looked the heroes over. "Well done! Thank you."

"...And stirges," Blue Monk added. "I used my whistle to make her teleport, just like you guys do."

"Very nice. I am called Sir Berrian. My house is Velfarren. For a few weeks, I have searched to discover the mystery of my father's fate. All roads have led me here to this human ruin. This dark abbey crawls with peril, and orcs and giants infest the grounds. This place confounds us with its' mysteries."

"The grove thrums with life from the feywild, of home. But the closer we come, the farther we fall away. Fey beasts lair in the ruins, gossiping nymphs tantalize us with secrets, and my sister Analastra was nearly killed."

"Is there anything I can do to repay you?"

"Do you have any cards?", The Blue Monk asked.

Berrian held up the Throne card...

"This card..?", Berrian asked. "You are interested in this card?"

"Yes."

"Well, perhaps we could work out an arrangement. Would any of you like some feywine?"

Berrian had one of his guards fetch each of the adventurers a bottle. Aurora was too pure to drink it. She planned on giving it to a friend.

Berrian told the heroes they were free to drink from the font. He warned that it had unpredictable, magical effects.

Ardra looked at the font and the mosaic around its' base. She could sense that drinking the water might give the drinker visions, as well as a magical boon of some kind.

She also noticed that a ritual was encoded into the mosaic: Remove Affliction.

Ryltar spoke some more with Berrian about his father. Berrian explained, "I believe my father came here to the abbey to help fight the dragons, and I believe he was killed, but I want evidence of that.

"I'm at war with the drow," Ryltar said.

"I.. am not involved with that," Berrian said dismissively.

Scarlet asked, "Have you seen another group of adventurers come through here? With a foul-mouthed dwarf?"

"No."

Blue Monk said, "Well if you do, make sure to punch him in the face."

Ryltar pulled Berrian aside and said quietly, "I just want to thank you for accepting me into your company..". As a drow, Ryltar had expected the eladrin to be hostile toward him.

Berrian said, "If it is good enough for Aurora then it is good enough for us. I assume she has ironed out your personality defects."

Each of the heroes drank from the magical font. Ardra took out a tome, watched the heroes, and took notes on what they saw and any apparent magical effects:

Scarlet dipped a wine goblet in and drank the cool water. She saw visions of many people building the abbey over the course of many years. He felt a bit faster (free action: +1 to speed until the end of his next turn).

The Blue Monk had similar visions. He, too, felt faster.

Ryltar had a vision of the paladins of Io battling the red dragons and their horde. He saw Lady Elaida, the paladin whose head ended up on the flesh golem in the wizards' tower, killing four orcs in one motion. He felt inspired (free action: Able to take an additional minor action during his current and next turns).

Varis saw the paladins making peace with the Draedsmasher orcs. He felt healing energy wash over him (Free action: when he second winded to spend a healing surge, he would heal as if he spent two).

Aurora saw a vision of the wizard Vandomar carrying dead Elaida up to his tower. She felt emboldened (Free action: take an additional action as if she spent an action point).

Ardra closed her book and drank from the font. She saw two red dragons attacking the abbey without an army. One was the dragon they'd seen earlier, with the gems in its' hide leaving light trails. The paladins fought fiercely, forcing the dragons to retreat. Ardra felt strong (Free action: Gain temporary hit points equal to her healing surge value).

Berrian pulled Aurora aside. "My lady, you should not drink from this again for a while."

She nodded and said, "You are very kind."

"And you are very magical. And wonderful! It is an honor."

Our heroes made camp with the eladrin. They ate together and swapped stories. Most of the eladrin were in awe of Aurora. The unicorn-people were almost as gods to the other races of the Feywild, because they were so rare as well as pure.

Night fell. A warm breeze blew through the trees, and there was a tinkling sound in the air. It was punctuated with sporadic rambunctuous calls from the orc village. The eladrin explained that the orcs argued and fought amongst themselves quite a bit.

Aurora retrieved her magic crystal ball from her pack. She approached Berrian and offered to let him use it to scry for his father's location.

Berrian excitedly called his sister over. Together, they huddled around it, their faces lit by its' luminescence. His efforts brought him visions of the watchtower connected to the wall. He knew that the orcs were very interested in it, and had tried to enter the watchtower numerous times. Magic seemed to keep them out.

He also saw shadowy visions of a twisted dragon in a cave to the west. It was working on a ritual. He believed it was Maluriath, the sister of the red dragon in the abbey (Mekkalath).

He worried that Maluriath was trying to raise an army, to take the abbey from her brother.

Berrian gathered the heroes by the font and explained all of this to them. "It is believed that Maluriath has a magic card, quite like the one that I have."

The heroes asked Berrian about his card. An agreement was made. He'd give them his card if they could retrieve a journal from a nearby cottage. The journal held proof that the eladrin created the grove, so that he could show it to Queen Tarentia if need be to stake his claim on a section of the abbey.

He warned that owlbears lived in the cottage. He pointed out that they feared the scent of displacer beasts...

The heroes went back to the broken tower and retrieved he remains of the displacer beasts.

They slept for the night. The next morning, Aurora skinned both of the displacer beasts. She looked up at her friends and said, "In the Feywild, we use every part of the displacer beasts."

With that, it was time to frighten some owlbears. Scarlet wore one skin, Monk wore the other.

An overgrown cobblestone path led up to a small hill to the shell of an old fieldstone cottage. The dilapidated roof was punctured by an oak tree, which grew up through the middle of the structure and spread its' broad branches like a canopy over the frame. Shutters and a door hung open, forced from their hinges by the wild growth.

Just beyond the dim entrance to the cottage rests a massive, feathered beast the size and shape of a bear. Its' short, curved beak rested upon another of its' kind. The creature's great golden eyes opened as it raised its' head to sniff the air.

The heroes crept close. Aurora imitated the displacer beast's cries with stunning accuracy. The owlbears perked up, eyes wide. They roared and ran out the back of the cottage and fled into the feygrove.

The journal was in the cottage, and it indeed held evidence that the eladrins founded the grove.

Ardra could not leave behind any books with historical value. Her pack was brimming over with tome kept by the monks who once lived in the cottage.

The journal was given to Berrian, and he handed over the Throne card in exchange. The Blue Monk took it (the card has some marking powers).

After some discussion, the heroes prepared to leave the abbey. They'd decided that the prospect of Maluriath raising an army needed to be dealt with. Our heroes had decided to kill a dragon.

Last edited:

Netherstorm

First Post
22. Reflections of Ruin

3/19/12: Brendan is in Florida, so no Varis. We're taking a quick jaunt through a dungeon adventure that is linked to the abbey. This contains spoilers for Reflections of Ruin, a Chaos Scar adventure from Dungeon 196.

Saga of Valor
Book One - NyrodSpace War 3

Chapter Twenty-Two: Reflections of Ruin

Aurora Brightbolt - Unicorn-Person Ranger
Ardra - Eladrin Bladesinger
The Blue Monk - Half-Orc Monk
Hartaniel - Elf Barbarian
Ryltar - Drow Avenger
Scarlet - Human Fighter

Sanctioning #: 12-03-3326515

Rain began to trickle down from the sky as our heroes made their way through the forest. They headed away from Gardmore Abbey and toward the lair of Maluriath, the red dragon. Our heroes had decided to travel there by foot instead of flying on their giant bird created by Vecna so as to avoid early detection. Aurora's blink dog happily raced down the trail ahead.

Hartaniel scowled. His Draedsmasher clan had a new, more vicious leader. And his allies had caught a glimpse of the slave who had betrayed Hartaniel way back when - Galan the Sly. Galan had been riding on the back of a hill giant, and seemed to still hold a position of power amongst the orc clan.

Raindrops dribbled down his owlbear skull helmet, falling past his eyes of pure black. His heart was heavy.

The discorporated remains of Vecna asked Hartaniel to be removed from his pack. Hartaniel pulled the lantern that contained the swirling, purple cloud out. He held it above his head.

Vecna's cloud had never been brighter. Vecna seemed to be accumulating power at a rapid rate. Perhaps Vaona's cult of Vecna in Olwynn was continuing to grow. Each convert, and each prayer gave the former god of secrets more power and perhaps one day soon, he could once again become a deity.

Vecna said, "I need to warn you Hartaniel - the time is almost at hand."

"The time for what?".

Vecna dis-regarded the elf's question. "I need to know who is on my side."

The Blue Monk looked at the cloud, the purple glow illuminating his dull green skin.

Vecna asked, "How about you, Blue Monk?"

The Monk's frown became more pronounced. "I don't much like the cut of your jib", he growled.

"Very well. You may regret that decision."

Ardra wondered what Vecna was up to. The discorporated god of secrets addressed her.

"What about you, sword lady?"

She said, "It's still up for debate. I do respect your powers, sir."

"Secrets! Magic! Can I count on you if need be?"

"It depends on what you mean, sir."

Vecna grumbled.

"What about you, mohawk?". He was referring to Ryltar, the drow.

Ryltar did not look back, or respond. He continued to walk, his tattered reaper cloak providing some protection from the light rain.

"Scarlet?"

She sighed. "I don't know, I've got a lot on my plate..."

Vecna was dismayed. The heroes did not trust him. He said, "Hartaniel, you shall be rewarded, my friend. My memory is returning to me! I have great power!"

Ryltar spoke up. "Thanks for telling us, and not keeping it a secret."

Soon after, they came to a dormant volcano with a cave in the base of it. This was Maluriath's lair. They'd seen it in the crystal ball back in the Feygrove.

Hartaniel spotted tracks. Ogre tracks. He fixed his black eyes on the mud, trying to see how many ogres might be inside. The barbarian guessed there were at least 9.

Our heroes crept inside..

The air within the cave was filled with smoke and the odor of burned meat. Rough stone walls enclosed a spacious cavern illuminated by a cook fire tended by ruddy-skinned ogre, who was completely enthralled by the crackling flames. Nearby, three more ogres argued over a badly scorched chunk of meat.

Further inside, smooth black surfaces of polished obsidian reflected warped images of the fire and ogres, as well as something from deeper within the cave. A strange, clawed limb and a portion of a large, toothy maw were apparent, but a complete image of the creature or creatures never formed. Walls and floors around the obsidian mirrors had a peculiar, scaly pattern. The stone heaved rhythmically, in time with a gurgling chant.

The heroes approached cautiously, hoping to get the jump on the ogres.

A gurgling voice emanated from the cavern’s walls. “What twist of fate brought you to despoil my triumph? The deck? The devil? It matters not. This time I shall succeed, and the creatures in this valley will learn to adore their new queen, Maluriath!”

A pair of milky white eyes flickered within several of the mirrors. Other mirrors provided glimpses of braziers etched with arcane markings and burning with multihued flames. “Talons, Void, Flames—I have no further need of test subjects, so slay them all. Idiot—close the gate! I want no interruptions!”

Three ogres turn their gap-toothed grins toward the heroes as they hefted their clubs. Another, holding an axe, stared slack-jawed at a rope that leads to two wooden portcullises at either end of the cavern. Strange, ghostly images flickered around their rough, filthy hides.

Ardra cast a magic missile across the chamber, which killed one of the shadowy humanoids. As it died, there was a flash of light that teleported one of its' allies closer to the adventurers.

Ardra absorbed its' soul into her helm of seven deaths. It was a hideous mockery of a humanoid from the far realm, known as a foulspawn.

An ogre cut a rope, which dropped a portcullis, blocking some of the heroes out of the room. But the blink dog was among them, and he had the power to teleport them past the gate.

Aurora fired off two arrows in rapid succession. Both plunged into the chest of the ogre staring at the fire. The ogre had an image of one of the cards from the deck of many things branded on its' chest. So did each of the other ogres. The heroes would learn that each ogre had a special power relating to the card emblazoned on their body. Each ogre's name corresponded to the card it represented.

Maluriath had made a pact with a contract devil in exchange for three wishes. She'd used a wish to create a horde of ogres, all imbued with special power. The heroes would learn this and much more, very soon.

The ogres rushed the heroes, but their attacks were stymied by Ardra's magic shield spell and a well-placed disarming arrow fired by Aurora. The Blue Monk ended up surrounded and was bloodied.

Hartaniel knocked one ogre back so that it fell down the 10 foot ridge. Scarlet made her way down there, charged the prone ogre, and killed it.

Ardra used the magic of her helm to infuse her blade with power. She stabbed it into the gut of an ogre bearing the symbol of the idiot card. Soulfire and blood trickled forth as the ogre hunched over in pain. The Blue Monk tore into the ogre, beating it to death.

Then Ardra turned, held out her hand and sent another ogre flying down the ridge with an unseen hand spell. She teleported down, stood over the ogre's prone body, and plunged her magic blade into the creature's lung, killing it. She absorbed the soul of the ogre. He bore the power of the talons card.

An arrow from Aurora sent even another ogre over the ridge (I kept failing the save). Ryltar phased through the ground and decapitated it with his scythe.

The battle was ended. The blink dog raced over to the camp fire. It started digging with its' hind paws, kicking dirt on the blaze, putting it out.

Ryltar approached one of the black mirrors. He stood in front of it. The scaly ground shifted beneath his feet. He saw a huge, milky eye staring back at him. Psychic energy wracked his brain. The drow clutched his skull and stumbled back.

The adventurers went through the room and shattered every mirror.

Then our heroes continued deeper into the caves...

The wide passage descended steeply. Although the caverns obviously formed naturally, scattered rubbish was a telltale sign of the presence of ogres. Rough-hewn ceiling timbers span erected intermittently throughout the chamber helped to support the walls and the roof. Phosphorescent lichen clung to these beams and provided enough illumination to dimly light the area.

In the wider corridor to their left, an ogre stood half-slumped against the wall, his chest rising and falling slowly. A snort erupted from his nose as he shifted his bulk slightly, but he did not appear to be fully awake.

Scarlet and The Blue Monk quietly approached the ogre, ready to slit his throat. But it was a trap! The ogre was pretending to sleep. The ogre jumped up and smashed his fist into the ceiling, causing rubble to fall down on the duo!

The Blue Monk was buried in the rubble. Scarlet jumped ahead, past the collapse and next to the ogre.

The noise of the collapse alerted other nearby creatures - more ogres, and more foulspawn.

The Monk pulled himself out of the rubble pile and teleported behind the ogre. He drank a healing potion, used his magic amulet to enhance the healing effect, and punched the ogre. Blood spewed from the ogre's nose.

A foulspawn came around a corner and swiped at the half-orc. The Monk's black eyes began to glow blue in rage. He punched the foulspawn in the neck. There was a cracking sound, and the thing fell to the ground, dead.

More ogres came around the corner...

Back in the tunnel, the rest of the group battled a wave of foulspawn. Aurora picked one off with an arrow, and Ardra stabbed another to death. The foulspawn were led by a four-armed creature, in each hand a dagger. It was known as a foulspawn mangler!

It became intangible, passed through a wall, and emerged next to Ardra. It became solid again, and danced around her, stabbing at her four times. Ardra parried once, twice, three times and then a fourth! The mangler stumbled back. Never had it faced someone so skillful with a blade.

Ryltar slashed his scythe into the mangler's back. Sticky blood sprayed out of the wound.

The mangler stood between them, stabbing daggers at both heroes.

Nearby, Aurora drew an arrow from her quiver. She touched it to her horn, causing the arrow to glow. She fired the arrow into the mangler's heart (a critical). Blood spilled from it's mouth. It weakly stabbed at Ardra.

Aurora drew another arrow. She enchanted it with her horn as well. She fired it through the mangler's head (another critical!). It died.

As Ardra slew the last of the foulspawn, Hartaniel raced over to help Scarlet and The Blue Monk, who were standing in rubble fighting three ogres! As his silvery-blonde hair trailed behind him, he charged through the rubble and stabbed an ogre. It fell to the ground. The Monk caved in its' skull with his fist.

Ryltar and Ardra ran through a back tunnel so they could come around and flank the two remaining ogres. Aurora stayed where she was, and took aim. She fired an arrow into an ogre's neck (yep another critical). The ogre howled in pain. Hartaniel used the opening to bloody the ogre with a number of slices.

Ardra and Ryltar came around the side. The ogres were surrounded. They were knocked to the ground and killed with rocks and punches. The Blue Monk punched the teeth out of an ogre's mouth. He collected them up, and considered making a necklace out of them.

The adventurers patched up their wounds. The blink dog approached a mirror and barked at it. The heroes took up their weapons.

Ardra said, "Wait! Before you destroy the mirrors, allow me to study them."

In the mirror, she saw a distorted image of a dragon performing a ritual. After a bit of study, she saw that the dragon appeared to be creating another dark mirror. But this mirror was more powerful than the others. It could twist the landscape for miles around, including Gardmore Abbey!

Scarlet wondered if the mirrors were valuable.

Aurora pulled out her crystal ball. She used it to glimpse into the next room in the caverns.

Inside the gleaming crystal, she saw a room with piles of stone, a mine cart on a track, and a weird shimmering section of floor. A number of ogres and foulspawn lurked...

Once the adventurers had studied the layout, they were certain they could ambush the monsters.

The tunnel ahead widened into a torchlit cavern. Heaps of broken stone rose toward the ceiling, and a crude mine cart sat on a track leading off to the south. Hunkered behind a few of the haphazard piles, three ogres snarled in anticipation.

A handful of smaller warped humanoids skulked about.

Although more dark mirrors were here, the fearsome voice of the creature spied in the mirrors emerged not only from their distorted surfaces but also from the southern corridor, rising in pitch and fervor and punctuated by blasts of multihued light. The cavern floor to the north exhibited the same twisting corruption present near some of the mirrors in the room.

The adventurers burst into the room, surprising the ogres. Scarlet knocked an ogre to the ground. The Monk struck the ogre as it lay prone. Scarlet plunged her broken blade into it, creating a bloody gash. Keeping it impaled on her blade, she dragged the massive creature close to another ogre. Ryltar brought his scythe down on the ogre, ending its' life.

Aurora fired an arrow across the room, knocking an ogre onto a wired, shimmering section of floor.

The ogres roared and counter-attacked. Ardra blocked a club with her shield spell. The Monk was hit by a club and hurt badly. He pulled out a healing potion and guzzled it.

A spellcasting foulspawn lurked in the far end of the room. It cast a maddening burst spell, which dazed Hartaniel and Ryltar.

A wave of foulspawn rushed Hartaniel. He killed two of the three with a single swipe of his blade.

A second ogre died, courtesy of Ardra's magic missile.

Aurora fired an arrow into the last surviving ogre. Scarlet used her magic belt to ensnare the ogre, keeping it close and focused on her. It brought its' club down on her, but she blocked it with a large piece of granite she'd snatched from the ground. The ogre swung again, and hurt her badly.

Aurora's horn glowed, and a rainbow beam shot out from it. The beam washed over Scarlet and sealed up her wounds. Then, Aurora drew out an arrow, fired it, and killed the ogre.

Ryltar had been the first to cross the room and engage the foulspawn spellcaster, known as a mockery. It pelted the drow with psychic energy, dazing and injuring him.

Scarlet came over to help. Together, they cut down the mockery.

The monsters had been defeated.

The blink dog approached to a pile of bedding, sniffed it, and pulled out a sack. In the sack was gold and jewelry!

Weird light spilled from a large tunnel. They could hear Maluriath chanting. Her ritual was almost complete. There was no time to rest. - there was one more battle to be had.

In the Demonweb, the Gods had just killed 99 drow in the Fane of Eclavdra. They were determined to kill Lolth once and for all....

Last edited:

Remove ads