4e Scouring of Gate Pass - reworking the encounters

Up to this point, these are my experiences:

1st Scene: Just fine, had Kathor escape, giving the party a mysterious look, they pummeled the bandits just fine

2nd Scene: Played all the skill challenges, except the "kiki" one, which I felt was too silly for my somewhat jaded players. However, the other skill challenges worked out great, the players really got into the whole "we are being invaded" feeling

3rd Scene: The Tower encounter ended quicker than I expected, the players managed to capture Larion and the Solon escaped (contrary to previous poster's expectations). I told the Eladrin Wizard in the Party that he recognized the guy as one of Shealis' friends.

4th Scene: Flaganus Mortus was a challenging encounter for the group, but not dangerous. They killed him and since the Artificer spent a healing power on the kid just as his throat was slit, I allowed them to save him.

5th Scene: The "Ragesian Terrorists" encounter was too tough, since only 3 people showed up for the session, even though I removed one trap and a soldier. Torrent and two of the PCs were unconscious at the end and the Warlock saved the day with 3 hps left.

---

A few thoughts:

My group tends to detest DM-PCs, since we have had bad experiences, so I wonder if it would be too bad if I just get rid of Torrent and never introduce Crystin and Haddin, giving one of the PCs the prophetic dreams instead... ?

sfedi

First Post
5th Scene: The "Ragesian Terrorists" encounter was too tough, since only 3 people showed up for the session, even though I removed one trap and a soldier. Torrent and two of the PCs were unconscious at the end and the Warlock saved the day with 3 hps left.
The traps in that encounter almost doesn´t count.

[sblock]
My group tends to detest DM-PCs, since we have had bad experiences, so I wonder if it would be too bad if I just get rid of Torrent and never introduce Crystin and Haddin, giving one of the PCs the prophetic dreams instead... ?
The problem with removing those NPCs, IMHO, is that you loose a lot of depth in the campaign.
These NPCs will be with the party only for a while, and then they´ll go their ways, only to come back later.

In my case, I hate running multiple NPCs, so I just let them hang back, but they are still with them and they have their opinions and bring their points of view.
[/sblock]

Torrent I'm turning a bit more into a not-quite-pacifist cleric (she simply isn't that good with aggressive magic), giving her Companion Character rules and the pinata at will. Easier to run if she doesn't risk becoming a full PC. And healing alone will be enough to endear her to the party.

Last edited:

Remove ads