D&D 4E 4e to 5e Balhannoth Conversion

So, in your opinion, how did I do?

• Looks great! Should be able to use it as is!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • It's good, but it needs a little work to get it just right.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I see where you're going, but a lot needs to be changed before this is functional.

• Waste of time. The work to make this functional outweight any purpose it might have.

• I'm thinking something else. I might grace you with my thoughts in the comments...

ghabrel

First Post
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] Thank you for all of your inputs. I'm definitely going to be making some changes as I respond.

IMHO, converting from 3e or 4e (which, unfortunatlely, are the only editions in which this thing supposedly existed, though honestly, I have no memory of it - camouflaged anti-magic tentacled aberration on the ceiling? I'd expect something like that to stick with me), is usually wasted effort. Design it for 5e as if it were an original monster that just came to you in a nightmare.

Which is to say, don't really design it at all. Ballpark the hps, decide on an AC, and just have it do whatever seems sufficiently cool/terrifying each round, react to the the things the PCs do dramatically, and have fun with it until you reach that tipping point where the monster had better die or the players'll get bored, and have it drop at an appropriate moment. I know, that's terrible of me to even suggest such a blatant use of DM force.

But it works, often a lot better than trying to come up with a 'right' set of numbers.

I may go all the way back to the drawing board and design it from scratch, but for now I'm going to work off of what I've got. I am starting to get a feel for using DM's discretion over strict, explicitly stated monsters, though.

Sheesh, what level are you running?

I'm aiming to have the players be level 14 by the time they fight this thing, and there's 10 of them. Using the two tables for encounter building on pg82 of DMG, a deadly level 14 encounter for 10 players has an experience threshold of 57,000, so I went with CR 23 (50,000). It was only later that I looked at what other CR 23 monsters were and realized how overpowered it was. I haven't fixed it yet, obviously.

Fun, classic stuff, here, the monster with different body parts having different AC and separate hps. Definitely keep that. It could also mitigate against the issues 5e has with lone monsters.

"If attacked directly" should mean AEs only affect the body, not the tentacles. Otherwise it'd be too easy to blow 'em all off.

"The tentacles are never affected by area of effect attacks or spells." I had already thought about that, but I think your phrasing is a bit more clear and concise.

That sounds awesome in 5e's parsimonious action economy. You could also make it Legendary and give it Lair Actions, since it's a very lair kinda critter.

Yeah, I like that idea. I'll have to look into Lair Actions, though; I'm really not all too familiar with what they are or how they work. It is definitely going to have a lair, though. That's already canon.

OTOH, I'm not sure I'd want to go /there/.

Yeah, I thought that might be a little overkill. Really the main reason I thought it would be cool is to hit a charger with a tentacle attack with the first, and then with the second throw the now grappled charger back at the rest of the party. A cool idea, but very probably too powerful to be fair.

Reasonable.

But, I'd even consider just plain having the tentacles take their own turns, including OAs & reactions.

That's not a bad idea. Trying to think of how I'd do that...

Would that mean a grand total of 6 OAs per combat round, none of which would be made by the balhannoth itself? Would the tentacles have their own initiative? Individually, or collectively? Would the tentacles have their own stats? On that note, would I end up making two distinct stat blocks, one for the balhannoth itself and one for its tentacles?

Now I'm comparing that prospect to what it would be currently. Potential of 20 OAs (10 players, each of which receive 2 OAs if they provoke), all using the stats of the balhannoth, including initiative. Right off the bat, I don't even have to say that SEEMS like a lot of OAs, it IS a lot of OAs. Other than that, this seems simpler and easier.

Anyways, I'm not going to make all the changes just yet, because I'd like a little bit more feedback from you before I do some of them, but here's an updated block:

Balhannoth
Large Beast Aberration CR 23 (50,000 XP)
AC 19 HP 730 (24d20 + 280) Spd. 20’
-----Attributes-----
Str 23 (+6) Dex 21 (+5) Con 18 (+4)
Int 8 (-1) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 3 (-4)
-----Abilities-----
Skills Insight +10, Stealth +12
Senses blindsight 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Deepspeech
Armor Natural
Proficiency +7
-----Special Abilities-----
Flailing Tentacles The balhannoth has six tentacles. If attacked directly, they have an AC of 17 and 61 (8d8 + 24) HP. If reduced to 0 HP, the tentacle is severed or otherwise neutralized (damage done to tentacles never applies to the balhannoth). A neutralized tentacle takes a full day and a long rest to regenerate, and cannot be used until then. Area of effect attacks and spells only hit the body of the balhannoth itself, and do not affect any of the tentacles. The balhannoth has a tendency to attempt to flee from fights in which three or more of its tentacles have been neutralized.
Flurry of Blows The balhannoth may make two opportunity attacks instead of one.
Opportunist The balhannoth deals an extra 1d8 damage against targets it has advantage on attack rolls against.
Reactive The balhannoth can take one reaction on every turn in a combat.
Reality Shift (1/4Rd.) The balhannoth may teleport up to 50 feet as a bonus action. Any enemies adjacent to it before it teleports are stunned until the end of the balhannoth’s next turn unless they pass a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw, and the balhannoth automatically gains advantage on attack rolls against enemies it teleports adjacent to.
Spider Climb The balhannoth can climb across any surface, even upside down, at its full speed without the need for ability checks.
Stone Camouflage While in areas of natural or worked stone, the balhannoth has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
-----Actions-----
Multiattack: The balhannoth makes three tentacle attacks, and then it makes up to two slam and/or throw attacks if able.
Slam (Melee): +18, 15’, one target.
The balhannoth must have at least one creature grappled with one of its six tentacles to make this attack.
Hit: The balhannoth chooses one grappled creature to bash against the target, dealing 21 (2d8 + 12) bludgeoning damage to both creatures. The grappled creature remains grappled, and the target must pass a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Tentacle (Melee): +18, 15’, one target.
Hit: The target takes 13 (1d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage, and must pass a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled by one of the balhannoth’s six tentacles. On its turn, the target may spend its action to try to pass a DC 20 Strength test to escape the grapple.
Throw (Ranged): +18, 30/60’, one target.
The balhannoth must have at least one creature grappled with one of its six tentacles to make this attack.
Hit: The balhannoth chooses one grappled creature to fling at the target, dealing 31 (3d8 + 18) bludgeoning damage to both creatures and knocking them prone. The previously grappled creature lands in a space adjacent to the target, and both creatures must pass a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of the balhannoth’s next turn.
Miss: The balhannoth flings the chosen grappled creature within 15 feet of the target, knocking the previously grappled creature prone but dealing no damage to it.
Whipping Tentacles (Melee): +18, 15’, all targets within range.
Hit: The targets take 13 (1d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage, and the balhannoth slides the targets to any other space within the area of effect.

Really I didn't change much of anything besides the second OA having free reign. I think I'm going to take your advice and start from scratch with a Legendary flavor to it. I'll post the new block once I have it set.

Tony Vargas

Legend
[MENTION=996] It was only later that I looked at what other CR 23 monsters were and realized how overpowered it was. I haven't fixed it yet, obviously.
Yeah, the exact numbers don't really matter, as long as it's cool and challenging.

Yeah, I thought that might be a little overkill. Really the main reason I thought it would be cool is to hit a charger with a tentacle attack with the first, and then with the second throw the now grappled charger back at the rest of the party. A cool idea, but very probably too powerful to be fair.
That is a cool one. If it can maintain the grab until its turn, it could still do the latter. A tentacle could grap more or less as a reflex (OA), and the main body make the decision to throw vs pull in and bite (action).

That's not a bad idea. Trying to think of how I'd do that...
Would that mean a grand total of 6 OAs per combat round, none of which would be made by the balhannoth itself?
Potentially, yes!
Would the tentacles have their own initiative? Individually, or collectively?
Whichever works for you.
Would the tentacles have their own stats?
Apart from AC & hps, they probably wouldn't need to.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Wow. You have 10 players to create challenges for? Combat must take forever or be done in seconds. Sorry if this is off-topic, but how do you run encounters like that?

Personally, at that point I might be less inclined to have a truly statted up creature. Have a couple of cool concepts for some dynamic combat abilities, a general idea of HP and AC, jot down the creature's temperament and strategies, and then ad hoc the fight until a natural stopping point. Otherwise, from my perspective, you run the risk of the combat being over too quick or slogging on and on without end. I might also create a couple of alternative battle goals that the players could attempt to weaken it or take it out in creative ways.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Personally, at that point I might be less inclined to have a truly statted up creature. Have a couple of cool concepts for some dynamic combat abilities, a general idea of HP and AC, jot down the creature's temperament and strategies, and then ad hoc the fight until a natural stopping point.
Good advice for running any 5e combat.

ghabrel

First Post
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] So I haven't gone the individual tentacle route just yet, but doing so from this point wouldn't be hard. What I did do, though, was make a legendary laired version (relatively) from scratch. Let me know what you think.

Balhannoth
Large Aberration CR 16 (15,000 XP) [23 {50,000 XP} in lair]
AC 19 HP 402 (23d10 + 184) Spd. 20’
-----Attributes-----
Str 23 (+6) Dex 21 (+5) Con 18 (+4)
Int 8 (-1) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 3 (-4)
-----Abilities-----
Saving Throws Wis +10, Cha +3
Skills Insight +10, Stealth +12
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this), passive Perception 15
Damage Resistance Psychic
Damage Vulnerability Thunder
Languages Deepspeech
Armor Natural
Proficiency +7
-----Special Abilities-----
Flailing Tentacles The balhannoth has six tentacles. If attacked directly, they have an AC of 17 and 71 (8d8 + 32) HP. If reduced to 0 HP, a tentacle is severed or otherwise neutralized. Damage done to the tentacles never applies to the balhannoth. A neutralized tentacle takes a full day and a long rest to regenerate, and cannot be used until then. Area of effect attacks and spells only hit the body of the balhannoth itself, and do not affect any of the tentacles. The balhannoth has a tendency to attempt to flee from fights in which three or more of its tentacles have been neutralized.
Flurry of Blows The balhannoth may make two opportunity attacks instead of one.
Keen Hearing The balhannoth has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) tests that involve hearing.
Labyrinthine Recall The balhannoth can perfectly recall any path that it has travelled.
Opportunist The balhannoth deals an extra 1d8 damage against targets it has advantage on attack rolls against.
Reactive The balhannoth can take one reaction on every turn in a combat.
Reality Shift (3-6) The balhannoth may teleport up to 50 feet as a bonus action. Any enemies adjacent to it before it teleports are stunned until the end of the balhannoth’s next turn unless they pass a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw, and the balhannoth automatically gains advantage on attack rolls against enemies it teleports adjacent to.
Spider Climb The balhannoth can climb across any surface, even upside down, at its full speed without the need for any ability checks.
Stone Camouflage While in areas of natural or worked stone, the balhannoth has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
-----Actions-----
Multiattack: The balhannoth makes three tentacle attacks, and then it makes up to two slam and/or throw attacks if able.
Slam (Melee): +18, 15’, one target.
Hit: The balhannoth chooses one grappled creature to bash against the target, dealing 21 (2d8 + 12) bludgeoning damage to both creatures. The grappled creature remains grappled, and the target must pass a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Tentacle (Melee): +18, 15’, one target.
Hit: The target takes 13 (1d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage, and must pass a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled by one of the balhannoth’s six tentacles. On its turn, the target may spend its action to try to pass a DC 20 Strength test to escape the grapple.
Throw (Ranged): +18, 30/60’, one target.
Hit: The balhannoth chooses one grappled creature to fling at the target, dealing 31 (3d8 + 18) bludgeoning damage to both creatures and knocking them prone. The previously grappled creature lands in a space adjacent to the target, and both creatures must pass a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of the balhannoth’s next turn.
Miss: The balhannoth flings the chosen grappled creature within 15 feet of the target, knocking the previously grappled creature prone but dealing no damage to it.
Whipping Tentacles (Melee): +18, 15’, all targets within range.
Hit: The targets take 13 (1d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage, and the balhannoth slides the targets to any other space within the area of effect.
-----Legendary Actions-----
The balhannoth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The balhannoth regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Tentacle Burst The balhannoth makes a whipping tentacles attack.
Constrict (Costs 2 Actions) The balhannoth deals 21 (2d8 + 12) bludgeoning damage to each creature it has grappled.
Shift (Costs 3 Actions) The balhannoth automatically regenerates and uses the reality shift action.
-----Lair-----
Balhannoths lair in subterranean tunnels, caves, and chasms, both natural and constructed. The darker, the damper, all the better. High ceilings are also major attractions to balhannoths, as they allow them to secretly stalk their prey easier.
These lairs are quite often secluded and ill-traveled, but fortunately for balhannoths, they can easily go long periods without eating. Instead of leaving their lairs to actively hunt down prey, balhannoths tend to conserve their energy and wait for prey to stumble into their lair, relying on their exceptional hearing to catch the distant echoes of unwary footsteps.
Most desirable for a balhannoth in its lair is winding and interconnected passages. The balhannoth itself can navigate these confusing corridors with ease, but it is not uncommon for its prey to lose enough time backtracking and traveling in circles for the balhannoth to get them right where it wants them.
-----Lair Actions-----
On initiative count 20 (losing all ties), the balhannoth takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the balhannoth can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
-The tunnels and chambers within a 300 foot radius of the balhannoth quickly fill with a thick fog that heavily obscures everything more than 5 feet away. The fog dissipates at initiative count 20 on the following round.
-The air within a 30 foot radius of the balhannoth seems to leech magical energy, imposing disadvantage on all spellcasting attempts made within the area of effect or targeting a creature within the area of effect. This effect fades at initiative count 20 on the following round.
-A stone tunnel or doorway within 60 feet of the balhannoth seals itself, preventing its usage as a passageway. The barrier that is formed may be broken with a DC 24 Strength test. The balhannoth may only form three barriers in this way at a time; attempting to create a fourth causes the oldest to revert to its original form. These barriers revert to their original forms over 5d4 hours if the balhannoth is slain, but otherwise remain in place.
-----Regional Effects-----
Reality around the balhannoth’s lair seems to warp and distort from the creature’s mere presence, which manifests in the following ways:
-Starting 300 feet away from the balhannoth’s location, stone passageways and cavities begin to expand beyond their normal size, eventually reaching eight times their normal size at 60 feet from the balhannoth (these distances are always measured from normal dimensions, meaning traveling to a balhannoth that is measured as being 60 feet away would require 480 feet of actual movement). This increase in volume creates an extradimensional effect, in that two parallel passageways may normally be separated by only 5 feet of stone, but when exposed to the full force of this effect, there is still a barrier between each of the now enlarged tunnels.
-Echoes within the same subterranean stone superstructure as the balhannoth persist far longer and travel much further than they would naturally. They are detectable from up to four times the distance at which they normally would be.
-The tunnels of the balhannoth’s lair seem to double back on themselves and twist in ways that baffle the mind. Any creature attempting to use an Intelligence (Investigation) or Wisdom (Insight, Perception, or Survival) test to navigate the balhannoth’s lair, determine their location within it, or recall from which direction they have come do so with disadvantage.
If the balhannoth is slain, these effects fade over 5d6 hours.

I can already tell you some (at least one) of those regional effects are liable to get all kinds of wonky, but that's more or less existing canon that I just gave a mechanic (The balhannoth is domesticated by a cult, and they both share their lairs in a literal labyrinth. Normally, the passages are only 5 feet wide, but I had already planned on them widening to 10 feet to fit the balhannoth. In doing this, I widened it to the point where the balhannoth can be in the center of a tunnel and have its reach extend to the wall on either side. May just be too weird.)
[MENTION=59848]Hawk Diesel[/MENTION] I... actually have yet to start this campaign. And, being even more honest, I'm intending on powerleveling my players up to 12 in a meatgrinder. They're starting at level 4 and being tasked with clearing out a goblin/hobgoblin/orc raiding lair, which is essentially 95% combat and 5% story using 'milestone' leveling. After that, I'll change it back to experience leveling and actually get to the storyline.

BUT, bottom line, I have no idea how I'm going to run this, or how awful I'll be at it. Part of me is excited, but a bigger part is just really, really nervous...

Personally, at that point I might be less inclined to have a truly statted up creature. Have a couple of cool concepts for some dynamic combat abilities, a general idea of HP and AC, jot down the creature's temperament and strategies, and then ad hoc the fight until a natural stopping point. Otherwise, from my perspective, you run the risk of the combat being over too quick or slogging on and on without end. I might also create a couple of alternative battle goals that the players could attempt to weaken it or take it out in creative ways.

Those sound like they might be some words to live by for me. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
-The air within a 30 foot radius of the balhannoth seems to leech magical energy, imposing disadvantage on all spellcasting attempts made within the area of effect or targeting a creature within the area of effect. This effect fades at initiative count 20 on the following round.
Oh, hey, it's the anti-magic effect. Note that 'disadvantage on spellcasting' doesn't mean a lot in 5e - relatively few spells call for checks made by the caster, you can add '...or advantage on the targets' saves...' but there are plenty of spells that involve no d20 check, at all.

-----Regional Effects-----
Reality around the balhannoth’s lair seems to warp and distort from the creature’s mere presence, which manifests in the following ways...
I can already tell you some (at least one) of those regional effects are liable to get all kinds of wonky, but that's more or less existing canon that I just gave a mechanic (The balhannoth is domesticated by a cult, and they both share their lairs in a literal labyrinth. Normally, the passages are only 5 feet wide, but I had already planned on them widening to 10 feet to fit the balhannoth. In doing this, I widened it to the point where the balhannoth can be in the center of a tunnel and have its reach extend to the wall on either side. May just be too weird.)
That sounds like it could be very interesting - or go very badly wrong, in play. I think you should go for it and play it up as much as possible, heighten the sense of wrongess about the whole adventure. ;)

I... actually have yet to start this campaign. And, being even more honest, I'm intending on powerleveling my players up to 12 in a meatgrinder. They're starting at level 4 and being tasked with clearing out a goblin/hobgoblin/orc raiding lair, which is essentially 95% combat and 5% story using 'milestone' leveling. After that, I'll change it back to experience leveling and actually get to the storyline.
So you're going to power through the slowest-gaining, 'sweet spot' levels of 4-10, and linger over the arguably problematic, fast-gaining 12+ level?

BUT, bottom line, I have no idea how I'm going to run this, or how awful I'll be at it. Part of me is excited, but a bigger part is just really, really nervous...
Hawk Diesel's advice is good for something like this. It's ambitious/risky, but'll be awesome if you pull it off.

Those sound like they might be some words to live by for me. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]

ghabrel

First Post
Oh, hey, it's the anti-magic effect. Note that 'disadvantage on spellcasting' doesn't mean a lot in 5e - relatively few spells call for checks made by the caster, you can add '...or advantage on the targets' saves...' but there are plenty of spells that involve no d20 check, at all.

This is something I hadn't considered. I just kind of threw something in because beholders were the only legendaries that had less than 3 legendary actions. I didn't want to go TOO hard and just be like, "Merh. No magic within the area of effect. Merh...", but I guess my unfamiliarity with spellcasting kind of showed through. Have any suggestions?

That sounds like it could be very interesting - or go very badly wrong, in play. I think you should go for it and play it up as much as possible, heighten the sense of wrongess about the whole adventure. ;)

Yeah, that was where I was going with it, of they're very aware that the tunnels were designed to be uniform, but that does nothing to answer their questions about why the walls keep getting further and further apart... And yeah, I'm worried about it going wrong, too. Just the fact that I had to outline how the mechanic would actually WORK kind of emphasized how weird it would be. I mean, 60 feet becomes 480? That's a lot of distance to cover, especially if it isn't a direct line...

So you're going to power through the slowest-gaining, 'sweet spot' levels of 4-10, and linger over the arguably problematic, fast-gaining 12+ level?

Is that what I'm doing? Huh... Well now you've got me re-thinking my entire campaign... Not necessarily a bad thing...

If I tag you in a new post, will it give you a notification? I may want your opinion on the "first chapter" of my campaign, see what you think...

Tormyr

Hero
In 5e some monsters kind of top out at a certain CR because they physically cannot do more damage with the "normal" damage mechanics (i.e. large creatures do 2 dice of damage, gargantuan do 4). There isn't anything stopping you from using more dice of damage, and there are examples of that, but that is how many of the 5e creatures work.

If you still go for the higher level campaign, is there a story reason why you only have 1 creature versus a small pack of CR 10 creatures? The simpler creatures will be faster and easier to run while causing chaos on the player side.

Have you run a campaign with 10 players before? My experience has been that even at 8 players combat...becomes...slow. Although I guess having half the players stunned because of teleportation would speed things up again (I haven't looked closely at the later versions to see if that changed), but how are you planning on handling giving everyone time to shine the rest of the time? I am interested in hearing your ideas.

Interesting concept and creature. I will try to post my take on a 5e Balhannoth later tonight, starting with a CR10 version which is what I found evidence of in 4e and 3.5. This would fit in well if you were running the PCs at lower levels. Then I will post a stronger one that is Gargantuan to show the difference of growing a creature so that the freakishly bigger one is a higher CR.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6805138]ghabrel[/MENTION] Have you considered perhaps breaking the group into two smaller groups? You may want to consider recruiting one of these people in your group as a co-DM and running parallel adventuring groups. They could take place in the same world, and maybe you could even coordinate how the actions of one group might affect the other. You might even have everyone a part of the same adventuring guild, and each session the whole team regroups based on the needs of the mission, allowing the two groups to get mixed up every so often. If no one else wants to volunteer to be your co-DM, you could attempt to have a revolving DM where each of them takes turns being the co-DM with you, giving everyone a chance to play while also providing everyone the chance to have a smaller group with more potential for "screen time."

Tormyr

Hero
So here is my take on a CR 10 Balhannoth, based heavily on the 3.5 Balhannoth from Monster Manual IV. It would be a medium encounter for 4 level 10 PCs, 5 level 8 PCs, 6 level 6 PCs, and hard for 7 level 4 PCs. Adding more PCs makes the encounter easier, but you really cannot go below level 4 or 5 PCs fighting this monster because it does enough damage in a round to knock a level 5 fighter with 16 CON unconscious. So at that point you can have two instead of 1. That makes a medium encounter for 4 level 16 PCs, 5 level 14 PCs, 6 level 12 PCs, 7 level 10 PCs, 8 level 8 PCs, 9 level 6 PCs, or 10 level 5 PCs. These numbers are using my spreadsheet that smooths out the encounter difficulty multipliers between the number of PCs and monsters in the DMG and extrapolates out to 10 PCs. That being said, encounter building numbers at 10 PCs are really shaky, and the encounter could go either way easily.

If you were to change this to level 14 PCs, this would potentially require 2 CR 21 balhannoths to make a medium encounter or 3 to make a Deadly encounter. 10 PCs really throws a wrench in what a DM might expect out of an encounter. It also makes the encounter really long.

If a DM were to make this into a CR 21 or so monster, there are few easy ways to get most of the way there.
* Make it a gargantuan version. All the damage dice change to 4dX instead of 2dX.
* Bump hp and natural AC.
* Give it 3 uses of legendary resistance (each is worth 90 hp for a CR 21 creature) and 3 legendary actions that can be used for attacks.

Balhannoth

Large aberration, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 195 (17d10 + 102)
Speed 50 ft., climb 50 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
28 (+9)17 (+3)23 (+6)3 (-4)12 (+1)8 (-1)

Saving Throws Wis +5
Skills Perception +5, Stealth +8
Condition Immunities blinded
Senses blindsight 20 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)
Dweomersight. A balhannoth is blind, but it hunts through detection of magic. It detects creatures casting spells, carrying magic items, or otherwise using magic, and it can see everything within the range of magical effects, including its own dimensional lock. This functions as a selective, 120-foot radius blindsight.

Dimensional Lock. Everything within a 20-foot radius from the balhannoth is unable to travel between the current plane and another plane.

Antimagic Grapple. A balhannoth that has grappled a creature suppresses the creature’s magical items and effects and keeps the creature from being able to cast spells. The balhannoth suppresses magic items that it wears or holds.

Camouflage. A balhannoth’s skin color changes to match its surroundings. It has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

Spider Climb. A balhannoth can travel on vertical surfaces and the ceiling without an ability check.

Actions

Multiattack. The balhannoth makes two slam attacks and a bite attack.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d6 + 9) bludgeoning damage and if the target is a creature it must succeed at a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled and suffer an additional 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage as the tentacle constricts on the creature.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d4 + 9) piercing damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads