D&D 4E 4E Tools and Prep and our games and other stuff (on no particular order - long)

Scarface6174

First Post
:eek: I love the idea about using the plexiglass over the preprinted maps! We already use clear plastic inserts for our charater sheets and write on them with Vis-a-Vis markers. NOW WE CAN DO THAT WITH THE MAP!

YES!

Ktulu

First Post
Scarface6174 said:
:eek: I love the idea about using the plexiglass over the preprinted maps! We already use clear plastic inserts for our charater sheets and write on them with Vis-a-Vis markers. NOW WE CAN DO THAT WITH THE MAP!

YES!

He is so easily excitable. That is actually a very good idea, one that I will definitely use for future games.

DaeganBt

First Post
withak said:
Does anyone have any experience laminating battle maps like the ones that come with KotS? Good idea? Bad? Would a store like Kinko's be able to handle that?

One of the players in my regular group is a big D&D Minis player and also a little OCD... he laminated all of his Minis maps along with a bunch of others that he pulled from other sources. They work just fine and you can write on them with dry or wet erase markers as well.

Daegan

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
For marking, my wife bought me some cheap nasty poker chips. Basically very thin pieces of plastic 25mm in diameter and 1mm thick (or 1inch diameter and 1/25 inch thick for those of you who still use medieval measurements).

These are perfect - they are thin enough that you can stack them without it looking silly if you need to, they don't overlap into other squares and there are 4 colours which is plenty.

For you other kiwis - she found them at The $2 Shop.

I've used them in my pre-test and they have worked really well.

For my pre-test I rewrote Scourge of the Howling Hoarde for 4 pre-gens (either the DDXP or the KoTS ones). I've made every fight at least 600xp and added some twists and traps, but players can choose to swap characters after each battle if they choose. I've let them know to expect TPK, but afterwards they choose new characters. This is just about learning how the combat system works and me learning the limits of what is manageable for the players. They guys are loving it.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
withak said:
Does anyone have any experience laminating battle maps like the ones that come with KotS? Good idea? Bad? Would a store like Kinko's be able to handle that?
For a cheaper option you can do yourself try coverseal (duraseal? I don't know what its called out of New Zealand. That stuff that kids cover their schoolbooks with)

It's fine as a poor mans laminator and you can still use your dry erase pens on it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Also: (good) beer, tactiles, modules, minis (plus counters). But where is the food!?!

Dream of a devoted play-space, though in washington dc it would not be outdoors...it would be a well-lit basement, with a fireplace, and good AC. And of course a bar. (and yes, I saw it at a house we looked at, and it slipped away).

I have got the game-mastery magna-init board (up till now, have just been writting it on a tactile). The plexiglass is a great idea. I really could have used it last session.

Piratecat: great suggestion. And I can probably "borrow" some from the supply cabinett...

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Playing outside is extremely fun when everything lines up correctly. Unfortunately living in south Louisiana usually just means that the ridiculous amount of mosquitoes prevents this.

Ktulu

First Post
I concur with the challenge of playing outside. It regularly hits the upper 90's here (we already broke records in May, this year), so we rarely make an attempt for the out-doors game.

The most useful thing I've implimented in our games was putting the character sheets into the clear plastic covers and handing out dry-erase markers. The players love being able to quickly jot down hp, damage, mods, and such.

We also use the gamemastery magnetic initiative board. It works wonders.

Scarface6174

First Post
TerraDave said:
Also: (good) beer, tactiles, modules, minis (plus counters). But where is the food!?!

Dream of a devoted play-space, though in washington dc it would not be outdoors...it would be a well-lit basement, with a fireplace, and good AC. And of course a bar. (and yes, I saw it at a house we looked at, and it slipped away).

I have got the game-mastery magna-init board (up till now, have just been writting it on a tactile). The plexiglass is a great idea. I really could have used it last session.

Piratecat: great suggestion. And I can probably "borrow" some from the supply cabinett...

Wow, what kinda monsters are you planning on facing? :cool:

Most of our (Ktulu & I) gaming group uses Moutain Dew as our main fuel, which is only expended after the sweet tea is consumed. Snacks are rare, but mainly consist of Albertson's bakery cookies. Yay for sugar rushs!

Remove ads