D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

RFisher

Explorer
Snapdragyn said:
Given that they've said (a WotC designer post in the bard thread) that WotC will consider PHB2, DMG2, etc. 'core', how will this affect your own outlook on the definition of 'core'?

Not at all, of course.

I think we're in for a big disjunction between what WotC envisions the word meaning, & how 'core-only' DMs & players use the word. :(

So? They can use language however they want. I'm still going to be picky & choosy about what I buy no matter what they call any of it. If I have to say something like "only the first 4e PHB" to make it clear to players what I mean when I tell them what's allowed (without DM approval) because Wizards is calling lots of supplements "core", no big deal.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
RFisher, thanks for your comments. That's exactly what I expect to see a lot of DMs do, & I think WotC is just completely out of sync with reality if they expect otherwise. It's for that reason that I really hope they will change their minds about keeping the Bard out of the PHB & putting it into PHB2; I know that if they do that, I'll not get to play a Bard with some DMs. :(

New information: WotC_Logan, in a couple of posts here on EN World, confirms the following:

• 8 classes in PHB (I think this had been hinted but not directly stated)

• Monk is in. ( *blink* )

• DR is out.

Edit: See Glyfair's post a few down from this one for direct links to WotC_Logan's statements. Thanks Glyfair!

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Have we got official word as to whether or not Saves and AC works like 3.5, or like Saga? The few times I've seen "AC" mentioned could have very easily been a slip.

Also...

So it sounds like psionics are going to be in the DMG and essentially be a "power source template" stacked over spells. That makes sense. I'd like to see a massive list of generic spells, and then you apply an arcane, divine, psionic, incarnum, etc "template" to them.

Szatany

First Post
Snapdragyn said:
RFisher, thanks for your comments. That's exactly what I expect to see a lot of DMs do, & I think WotC is just completely out of sync with reality if they expect otherwise. It's for that reason that I really hope they will change their minds about keeping the Bard out of the PHB & putting it into PHB2; I know that if they do that, I'll not get to play a Bard with some DMs. :(

New information: WotC_Logan, in a couple of posts here on EN World, confirms the following:

• DR is out.
I find some of those revelations hard to swallow. Link please.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Snapdragyn said:
Monk is in and DR is out I know about. But all I have seen about the classes is that WotC developers/designers said they had eight classes at the start of internal playtesting.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
Snapdragyn said:

• DR is out.

Nobody has said which 8 classes are in or out of the PH1. We've talked about classes in seminars and on the boards, and we've mentioned way more than eight classes in them. All the classes in the 3.5 PH will appear at some point in the game's lifespan, but the only ones you can call "confirmed" in the PH1 are fighter, rogue, cleric, and wizard.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
WotC_Logan said:
All the classes in the 3.5 PH will appear at some point in the game's lifespan, but the only ones you can call "confirmed" in the PH1 are fighter, rogue, cleric, and wizard.
Is it conceivable that current 3.5 classes might be reimagined as prestige classes (whatever they look like in 4e)?

Which book will prestige classes (or their 4e equivalent) appear in, PHB# or DMG#?

Will single-setting-per-year books, like the August 2008 4e FRCS, introduce base classes?

Remove ads