D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Something that came to mind that really hasn't been addressed.

They say they are simplifying the rules and making it so that roles are more defined. They are also saying there will be a SRD and OGL. To me these things seem incompatable. The one thing that struck me was that the 3rd party publishers helped drive the complexity of the 3.x system. People want to have thier bizare elven subrace that is part fighter, part druid, part wizard and want a way to build and play that (or some other wierd combination). The 3rd party publishers last time helped start the Feat and PrC glut that WotC then took up and expanded themselves. With an OGL I see the same thing happening here. We will get new races and classes that fill niche roles and greatly expand player options beyond the defined roles envisioned. WotC will then also see these products and that they are selling and start expanding these options officialy with thier own products as well. Within a year we will once again have new races, classes, and feats coming out with each new book and we will be right back at the complexity and diversity we are at now. The real basis for success or failure is more likely to be how well the rules are built to deal with this inevitable glut.

Cake Mage

Explorer
William Ronald said:
Cake Mage, find the James Wyatt Interview from either the link on the front page or the first post. Wyatt said that druids will be as effective healers as clerics.

Hi Will
I was actually refering to 3rd ed druids. That was a refrence to how party structure works right now. I hope they do make druids better. :D

Cake Mage

Explorer
Scott R. said that the SRD will be released when the books are released. Unless your an approved 3rd party developer to get the SRD early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisfr
Maybe the question was already popped. If so, I apologize. Anyway, any idea when the SRD will show up? Can we expect it in july or much later? Thanks!

Posted by WOTC ScottR
July 2008 at the latest but some publishers will get it early so they can develop products in advance.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Cake Mage said:
Scott R. said that the SRD will be released when the books are released. Unless your an approved 3rd party developer to get the SRD early.

Just to clarify (and no one is probably sure yet), but does that mean after the 3rd hardback, or after the initial PH? I'm sort of guessing after all 3 books...

Knight Otu

First Post
Nebulous said:
Just to clarify (and no one is probably sure yet), but does that mean after the 3rd hardback, or after the initial PH? I'm sort of guessing after all 3 books...
Scott Rouse said:
amethal said:
Any idea when the SRD will be available?

I probably won't buy any 4th edition books until my current 3.5 campaign ends (probably not until the end of 2008) but I'd love to check out 4th edition before that.
Between May and July 2008 but it has not exactly been nailed down yet.
It seems likely that the SRD will be released after the DMG releases, but we might see a staggered release as well from that quote.

Knight Otu

First Post
RFisher said:
I wonder if there will be hybrids. e.g. Paladin = martial & divine.
I don't think so, really. The article makes it sound that the paladin is purely divine, and I suspect leaving out "theurge"-types at the start (to be reintroduced later) may be cleaner for a new edition.

Remove ads