• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e-when do you want it?

When would you like to see DandD 4e released?

Votes: 3 1.1%

Votes: 3 1.1%

Votes: 18 6.5%

Votes: 40 14.5%

Votes: 72 26.1%

Votes: 9 3.3%

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • After 2012

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • Never

Votes: 53 19.2%

Calico_Jack73

First Post
diaglo said:
Never.

i want them to go back to supporting existing editions.

Original D&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

I second that motion... OD&D had soul. OD&D had flavor. OD&D didn't have rules for every possible situation so a DM was empowered to come up with stuff on the fly. :D

Cerubus Dark said:
Wait next you will want Micro$oft to support the Commador 64!
:]

HEY!!!! I LIKED MY COMMODORE VIC 20!!! ;)

Last edited:

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I voted for 2005. I like 3.0 and bought all the 3.0 stuff from WotC and large quanities from 3rd parties. I have not and will not ever buy 3.5 stuff. My group by majority vote is playing about 3.4 (We are running Rokugan which is still 3.0 so our conversion couldn't be complete) and I have the SRD to allow play but I will not ever buy the book. Having played with the new rules I find 3.0 a better system. Hopefully 4.0 will be better than 3.0 unlike 3.5. So to me the sooner 3.5 goes away the better so that at least I will have the opertunity to consider another option without having to wait a decade.

Arnwyn

First Post
Alzrius said:
I know it was unrealistic, but I chose "Never".

The reason I clicked that one was because it felt odd being asked when I wanted my current material to become obselete, instead of asking me if I wanted my current material to become obselete. It's one of those loaded questions, like "when did you stop beating your wife?"
Exactly. These are my exact feelings on the matter. (My realistic side, though, says "2011" - about 11 years between editions, just like it was from 1e to 2e, and 2e to 3e.)

In any case, though, my real real answer is "who cares?". I will not be moving away from my version 3.39e that I play now. Already WotC gets almost none of my money, and my overall spending has severely decreased... this will not likely change in the future. I pretty much only buy from Necro Games and Dungeon magazine nowadays - adventures to support the game I prefer.

RFisher

Explorer
Anyone who thinks they are going to get rich publishing roleplaying games is living in a fantasy world. If you produce multiple roleplaying games, you might acheive a comfortable income. Most likely you'll need to diversify and publish/manufacture non-roleplaying products as well.

EA sells a new edition of Madden football every year. Do you think they'd be wise to up it to 4 editions a year? How about 1 a month?

Core rulebooks may make WotC more money than other roleplaying products, but I'm betting they are far from WotC's most profitable product. Certainly they aren't Hasbro's most profitable product.

Nobody* has a problem with paying for roleplaying products. Nobody* has a problem with roleplaying publishers making a living.

I'm interested to see whether WotC keeps a new edition of D&D every 3 years strategy. If so, I'll be interested to see what its long term effects are. I won't be optimistic, though.

*Hyperbole. I'm sure there are a handful of exceptions.

(Now, the fact that some people are giving SJGames flak for publishing a new edition of GURPS after c. 15 years, that I find amazing. Wait...no I don't. :))

Altalazar

First Post
I think one edition per decade is acceptable. Since 3E came out in the latter part of 2000, I put 2011.

But I am happy with 3.5E, so I can't say whether or not I'd get a 4E right now. With ebay, it is possible to even start from scratch and play 1E right now and buy all the books and even modules from there. So I think with that dynamic in place, people will be free to choose whichever edition they like best, regardless of how many there are out.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm with Buttercup on this one.

I have so many 3.0/3.5 products I haven't even gotten to bring to the table yet. I own, but haven't gotten to run the Scarred Lands. I own, but haven't gotten to run over 12 Necromancer Games Modules.

Same goes for Midnight, Dawnforge, Morningstar, and the Hunt:ROE.

I *have* adventured in Oathbound, but have barely scratched the surface of that world.

No, I have no need to see a 4th edition at all. I have plenty of toys to play with for the current edition, and will for the next 20+ years.

However, if they release a new one, it may just save me money. :)

RFisher

Explorer
Altalazar said:
But I am happy with 3.5E, so I can't say whether or not I'd get a 4E right now. With ebay, it is possible to even start from scratch and play 1E right now and buy all the books and even modules from there. So I think with that dynamic in place, people will be free to choose whichever edition they like best, regardless of how many there are out.

Yes. It also makes me happy that you can buy 1e in PDF form online for a very reasonable price. You can also get OD&D, Holmes Basic, Mentzer BECM, & 2e. About the only edition of (A)D&D you can't buy either new or in PDF is the Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert (which, unfortunately, is my favorite) or 3.0e. (Although, the 3.0 SRD is still available. Right?)

I'll also take this opportunity to plug the classic Traveller reprints, in case there are any CT fans that don't know about them.

With OAD&D available in PDF and CT actually in print again, it's a wonderful time for fans of classic RPGs.

RFisher said:
Yes. It also makes me happy that you can buy 1e in PDF form online for a very reasonable price. You can also get OD&D, Holmes Basic, Mentzer BECM, & 2e. About the only edition of (A)D&D you can't buy either new or in PDF is the Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert (which, unfortunately, is my favorite) or 3.0e. (Although, the 3.0 SRD is still available. Right?)

I'll also take this opportunity to plug the classic Traveller reprints, in case there are any CT fans that don't know about them.

With OAD&D available in PDF and CT actually in print again, it's a wonderful time for fans of classic RPGs.

Amen, RFisher!
Say, neither the original White Box books nor Moldvay BX are currently available (for sale) as PDFs - why is that?
I agree things are very good right now for the old school, e.g., next week I'm going to rpgnow or svgames to download the Rules Cyclopedia for $5! And C&C is coming, oh yes my precious.

Er, back on topic.
Voted "never" because there was no option to vote "when the property is in better hands".

Remove ads