• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e-when do you want it?

When would you like to see DandD 4e released?

Votes: 3 1.1%

Votes: 3 1.1%

Votes: 18 6.5%

Votes: 40 14.5%

Votes: 72 26.1%

Votes: 9 3.3%

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • After 2012

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • Never

Votes: 53 19.2%

WayneLigon

Adventurer
RFisher said:
There's a poll asking when you think 4e will appear.
I ask: When do you want 4e to appear?
2009 is well within my comfort zone. I might even prefer 2010. 'Never' is unrealistic. There will be a 4E at some point, unless the entire game just magically goes away.

nHammer

First Post
I voted Never, although to be honest I couldn't care less if it does come out, I won't be getting it. The current edition is good enough for me. Besides, I'll be playing more Fantasy Hero than D&D in the future. :cool:

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Honestly, I could care less if 4E ever comes out. 3.5 is the perfect game for me and my group right now. With the the various products put out by WotC and D20 publishers I have built the right game for every genre we play in. I know 4E is an inevitability, but I hope that it's a ways down the road.

There, that's the last thing I hope to say about 4E for a long, long time.

Kane

Sir Whiskers

First Post
When it adds something truly significant (and beneficial) to the game. Not tweaks. Not errata. Not minor changes. Something fundamental, on a par with the change between 2E and 3E.

No sooner, no later.

Wombat

First Post
Probably won't bother with it when it comes out. As it is I am moving my gamers away from D&D in general. Since I dropped out of D&D in the pre-1st Edition A&D period and didn't return until 3e, I think I'll probably drop out through the next few incarnations as well and come back in something like 20+/- years.

Rabelais

First Post
Honestly, Why worry?

I've seen this thread on other boards, and it's always bugged me. Inevitably there will be a couple of posters that seem to think that Wizards is EVIL for daring to update, or release a new version. Please...

Wizards is in business to make money. Is that honestly so hard to understand? /Rant Please, please, please understand that WOTC makes more money selling Core Rulebooks, than they do by selling "Urban Growth Boundaries of the Drow", or the latest FR sourcebook. You'll see WOTC release 4e when they please. It's never been about cultivating a hobby, for any of the current publishers (Read: Not bankrupt) It's about selling books. If you think otherwise, then you're already in FANTASYLAND, you don't need to play an RPG.

Don't bother saying you won't buy it. If you're reading this post, then you're among the top 1% of their target audience. You might say that you'll move on to the next game... trouble is, that THERE AIN'T NONE. There hasn't been a D&D killer yet. oooooh Magic: The Addiction... riiiight, as if WOTC hasn't done that homework. They're not about to cannibalize their own products. If you want to continue playing DnD, then your name will end up on the reserved copy list at your neighborhood game shop. /Rant

Personally, I think that they'll release 4e in 3rd Quarter '06, or 3rd Q '07

Just in time for Christmas.

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Rabelais said:
Wizards is in business to make money. Is that honestly so hard to understand? /Rant Please, please, please understand that WOTC makes more money selling Core Rulebooks, than they do by selling "Urban Growth Boundaries of the Drow", or the latest FR sourcebook. You'll see WOTC release 4e when they please. It's never been about cultivating a hobby, for any of the current publishers (Read: Not bankrupt) It's about selling books. If you think otherwise, then you're already in FANTASYLAND, you don't need to play an RPG.

Wizards is indeed in this to make money. But there is one small difference. D&D is not a new car, nor a new fishing rod or whatever. An edition of D&D should last more than 3 years.
I agree that RPG's are not a big money maker, but WotC needs to listen to its consumers, most of whom do not want another edition or revision in another couple years. 2010 is the best time if they want to work towards it, not 2005 or 2006. Lets actually have time to play the game.

I am very happy with 3.5 and my group & I won't change just because WotC release a new edition. Wizards should concentrate on decent modules rather than splatbooks to make their money, not new editions.

Remove ads