• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e with 1 player- and a 10 yr old at that

kobold

First Post
Long ago my group broke up, moved away and /or had kids. Once or twice a year we get together for a quick one shot. Whaaa! poor me!
Anyway my 10 yr old son has recently bought in to the 4e hype and so have I.
We own the books and have read them. He wants me to run a campaign. I'm good with that he's a fairly bright kid -but still 10.
Any advice on running a game for 1 player.
How about if that 1 player is 10?
It's not the mechanics, I think I'm more concerned about the bajillion powers that have to be kept track of.
Thanks,
"Passing the baton"
Andy

AllisterH

First Post
Long ago my group broke up, moved away and /or had kids. Once or twice a year we get together for a quick one shot. Whaaa! poor me!
Anyway my 10 yr old son has recently bought in to the 4e hype and so have I.
We own the books and have read them. He wants me to run a campaign. I'm good with that he's a fairly bright kid -but still 10.
Any advice on running a game for 1 player.
How about if that 1 player is 10?
It's not the mechanics, I think I'm more concerned about the bajillion powers that have to be kept track of.
Thanks,
"Passing the baton"
Andy

Actually, it should be pretty intuitive for a 10 year old. Basically, start at 1st level (I can not stress this enough. Starting at say 10th level is going to be a huge headache) and the limited options he has at that level (basically, a choice out of 4 options per silo roughly).

Recommended Class - Either the paladin or the fighter will be fine. While the high damage classes such as the rogue can dish it out, they are pretty weak on the defense whereas the paladin or fighter can bring the pain but more importantly, withstand the pain.

Use minions to beef up encounters and to teach tactics (I've seen 10 year old grok to the "Don't let yourself get flanked/surrounded quite quickly)

Most importantly, HAVE FUN (not really needed to be said).

As an aside, there's a thread on rpg.net where a father is teaching his son (same age I believe) 4E and they seem to be having a blast.

fba827

Adventurer
figure out what type of character he wants to play then pick the powers for him (so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed) -- at least for first level for his first game.

use power cards (or the equvalent cheaply made ones on paper at home).. that way he can shuffle through his powers and "put away" the ones he has used and then pick them back up when the power has recharged etc.

hopeless

Adventurer
What kind of game interests him?
What i mean is does he like Lord of the Rings or The Beastmaster for example?
Which of the character classes does he like and then look at what kind of scenario you want to run.
For example if he wants to play say a wizard have him run with an npc cleric or a character class that will help teach him the usual concepts you'll need in any d&d game such as being aware that operating alone means you can only face so much before it becomes too much and that in a group you can deal with much more when you have someone watching your back and vice versa.
I agree about starting a first level because I'm a novice at 4e and have my own problems getting to grips with the new system.
All the best and let us know what develops, there may be others in the same predicament who could use your input.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I have a campaign I run for my wife and my 10 year old son. Ashton had never played D&D before, but loves it. Here are some tips and things to watch out for:

You can encourage him to play a paladin or fighter, but when it comes down to it let him play whatever class he likes, the wizard is no longer that much more complex than a fighter. My son plays a wizard, and he does pretty well, especially against minions.

Give him index cards and have him copy his powers to them. Help him by plugging his numbers in, but let him do most of the work.

I recommend starting at first level. But it will be deadly if he’s by himself. The challenge for you as a DM isn’t only that he’s 10, it’s that he’s solo. All published adventures are set up for 5 players, and you’ll have to do more than carefully design or modify encounters. Death is bad.

I recommend using some house rules to make solo’ing more viable. Solo monsters get a template to buff them, do the same for a solo player.

- Give him an action point after every encounter. Award an extra one if he’s out, so that he always starts an encounter with at least two.
- Let him use second wind as a minor action, or as a free action (once per round) if he’s a dwarf. Let him use it up to three times per encounter.
- Allow a friendly NPC to cast an enhanced Raise Dead ritual. Have it work just like Raise Dead, but make it so that the body and his items teleport to the town, and make the cost affordable for even a first level character. Death is really too harsh a penalty for young players, trust me on this, and the -1 penalty he will take after being raised will be enough motivation for him to try to stay alive, just let it expire after 1 milestone instead of two.

Design encounters so that he always has an edge, or can escape. Encourage him to run away if he should. Use mostly minions for monsters at first level. They are deadly enough. Use regular monsters very sparingly. A level one monster will be deadly enough even when he’s 2nd level.

If you play an NPC to help him, a healer is best, but a defender might work if he’s playing a caster. I would make any NPC helpers into “guest stars” and rotate different ones in, leaving him alone for some encounters. It gives you the opportunity to play more classes and figure out what works best, and puts the spotlight on him. You can also occassionally give him some minions to command. The local townsfolk might be brave enough to help him hunt down the werewolf who is slaying their cattle, or some militia might ally with him to fight off invaders, and he can have fun ordering them around.

I think you’ll both have a blast however you do it, just keep things moving and don’t forget to ham it up. Kids are much easier to entertain IMO because their imaginations don’t need much of a kickstart.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Give him a pet.

A Dog that is basically a fighter (uses a Bite attack, which you can treat as a regular weapon: +3 proficiency bonus, 1d6 damage, counts as light blade). It can wear regular armor as barding.

More characters mean that combats are a little less swingy and kids love pets, even virtual ones. Making him a dog means nobody has to roleplay him.

Foxen

First Post
Wow, 10 years old eh? I remember when I was in 4th grade, running psuedo-D&D games since we didn't have the rule. We made our own and based our characters off the D&D cartoon an the Disney version of Robin Hood (yes, all the characters were animals!). How magical...heh.

For a solo gamer, I'd recommend he either get more than one character to play/control, or as geniusly suggested (great idea Cdr!) a pet! Maybe at first, he starts with one character, but as he advances he can probably handle more and would love taking on more characters during battles. Perhaps you can roleplay the additional characters when not in combat, but during combat, they all will listen to the main character in battle, etc.

I started using counters and different "tokens" for my mostly teenage high school D&D group I'm running. Using glass beads and markers, they actually like the tactile aspect of the game. Glass cubes are used as Action Points, red glass hearts are used for Second Wind, small red beads are used for re-rolls/treasure markers (whenever a PC does something spectacular, like dramatic roleplaying or rolling a crit in combat etc.). At the end of the adventure or whenever they come across treasure, I let the players randomly pick treasure from my treasure cards (let me know if you're interested, I can e-mail em to you...Word Doc file).

What may be funny is to set a campaign in the "fairy tale" land...like include various characters from Grimm's Fairytales and popular nursery rhymes. I'm currently running something like that for the high schoolers, and they are slowly catching on...like Young Esther Red is Red Riding Hood (although they slayed her grandmother who turned into a Wraith)...although I don't think they realize that Aunt Mary has many lambs or Mary's neighbor Peter will have cannibal pumpkins who recently started eating the lambs...after our party Warlock helped him with some enchantments to ward off the pumpkin loving lambs...heh.

Lastly, I probably would scale the encounters to let the kid win, a lot, and let heroes be heroes....but you probably already do that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Fox

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Elite?

You could also give him an elite template: +2 defenses, +2 attacks, a special bloodied encounter power as a minor action. I like the idea of giving him second wind as a minor action and I like the idea of giving him an action point every battle.

kobold

First Post
Great stuff guys, I thank you.
A pet sounds great, he's going with a Ranger so a pet's spot on.
Gargoyle thanks for reminding me of the parents oldest trick - make him do the work. Up until now I'd been (foolishly or selfishly) doing all the writng to speed things up.
I will have him make up his own power cards for his feats and powers.
I started playing back in 1976 or 77 at his age on the little brown books, and this is really bringin back the magic for me. I thought very briefly about going with a simpler older version. But if it catches on with he and his buddies I think it's important he knows the current version.
Thanks so much everyone. I think we'll be having a test combat today and the real campaign starting after work this week.
Andy

Remove ads