D&D 4E 4e Wizard Retromix

Sylrae

First Post
Has anyone built a custom Wizard class?

Something that uses a spellbook more like in older editions of the game (swapping out encounter and at will spells using the book)?

Possibly with more access to utility spells, with casting times that are more feasible when youre in a hurry?

Or is this the sort of thing one would have to do from scratch.

If It's already been done before, I dont want to reinvent the wheel.

Playing in a 4e planescape game, and I mentioned to the GM how I used to play wizards in 3.5 and how I play them in PFRPG. So he said: "So give me a homebrew magic system that will let you do it in 4e. Combat spells will be done as in 4e, but I'll give you more of a spell swapping on a daily basis and give you quick utility spells that you can use in a hurry."

So. I'm going to take a stab at retrofitting a wizard for 4e that works in line with 4e stuff, but has a more classic wizard feel.

Suggestions
? Forcewalls?

Last edited:

Camelot

Adventurer
In Arcane Power, there is the Tome of Readiness, which lets you choose an additional encounter attack power to use instead of your normal one, so you are more versatile.

NMcCoy

Explorer
The Essentials Mage gets to spellbook his encounter attack powers, and there's always the Expanded Spellbook feat. I'm not sure what you mean by "casting times that are more feasible" for utility powers - I don't think there's any utilities that take more time than a standard action, and many of them are minor or immediate. Do you mean rituals?

Sylrae

First Post
Yes, sorry, I meant rituals, in that they're for utility purposes, not combat.
Like Knock.

It's a spell that used to be useful (when you were in a hurry), but not it takes forever to cast and as such is no longer very useful.

willows

First Post
It's a spell that used to be useful (when you were in a hurry), but not it takes forever to cast and as such is no longer very useful.

Ten minutes isn't actually that long.

That said, the reason it takes so long is so that Arcana doesn't become a jack-of-all-trades skill; if you can pick a lock just as easily and efficiently by whispering strange words at it as you can with actual lockpicks, there's no reason for the rogue to even train Thievery.

Remove ads