• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e's Inorganic Loot System: Yay or Nay?

Otterscrubber

First Post
The current loot system--if I'm understanding it correctly--does not allow for high-level monsters to have things like a bag of tricks. Instead, it automatically gives players a magic item of level X, then level X +1, then level X +2, etc. With monsters like dragons (who traditionally have a vast quantity of items), it is logical to assume that there would be some low-level magic items thrown in with the "big ticket" things. However, this doesn't happen in 4e with the parcel system (as I understand it; correct me if I'm wrong).

In previous editions, players could get treasure they didn't need because treasure was rolled randomly, so even a balor could have a +1 longsword in his junk closet.

I think the current loot system is a good set of guidelines, but they are just that: guidelines. You can put in whatever you want. 4e guidelines make sense to me. Why waste time giving a lvl 20 party +1 magic items? Why would a balor have a +1 longsword in his junk closet? Why would a Balor even have a junk closet?

I'm not saying there is no reason ever to give a high level party low level magic items, but if that is what you want. But if you would like more variety you can certainly translate some of the $$ in a dragon hoard into lower level magic items of comparable value. And if you want it to be random you don't need a table for this, just close your eyes and point your finger at a random point on the loot table and see what comes up. That's about as random as it gets.

Roxlimn

First Post
I think the parcel system is more direct and more honest - you're going to be tracking those magic items anyway. You might as well track them the most direct way you can.

Remove ads