Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

As I've said elsewhere, as the main, almost universal, complaint with Spelljammer was not what was in it, but that too much was left out. I'm pretty sure they are aware of those complaints, and they have probably 8 months or so before the product needs to finalized, so if they were planning on 64 pages for each book, they have time to change that. Even beyond that, Spelljammer is a setting that you can get away with fairly minimal info as long as ships and travel rules are there (although they probably skimped a bit too much). Planescape is a much richer and more developed setting, so I suspect they were already planning for a larger page count anyway.

That's good point, I can't think of anything in the product I object to including except the ending of the adventure.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As I've said elsewhere, as the main, almost universal, complaint with Spelljammer was not what was in it, but that too much was left out. I'm pretty sure they are aware of those complaints, and they have probably 8 months or so before the product needs to finalized, so if they were planning on 64 pages for each book, they have time to change that. Even beyond that, Spelljammer is a setting that you can get away with fairly minimal info as long as ships and travel rules are there (although they probably skimped a bit too much). Planescape is a much richer and more developed setting, so I suspect they were already planning for a larger page count anyway.
I would like to think so, but considering that sales are already pretty solid for Spelljammer, they really have zero motivation to do better.

Hopefully they will do the right thing anyways, but sadly your problably right.
They take feedback seriously, given all the surveys they put out and changes made because of them. This was a pretty serious outcry, so I imagine they aren't going to ignore it. There's even a QR code for a survey on Spelljammer on the credits page of the setting guide for us to give feedback..

They take feedback seriously, given all the surveys they put out and changes made because of them. This was a pretty serious outcry, so I imagine they aren't going to ignore it. There's even a QR code for a survey on Spelljammer on the credits page of the setting guide for us to give feedback..

Thanks! I'll fill it out later.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A little tidbit that might further hint at the Modron March.

Back in June 9th this year, on the Mastering Dungeons podcast there's an interesting exchange towards the end (1:12:45) that, if you're familiar with Shawn Merwin, Teos Abadia, and Chris Perkins, strongly implies.

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest: Perkins has been seeding the Modron March throughout 5E, since the Core books.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
A little tidbit that might further hint at the Modron March.

Back in June 9th this year, on the Mastering Dungeons podcast there's an interesting exchange towards the end (1:12:45) that, if you're familiar with Shawn Merwin, Teos Abadia, and Chris Perkins, strongly implies.

Perkins wasn't on the episode though?

Like, it's just two people without product knowledge talking

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases