Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I apparently am the only person excited about the Deck of Many Things book, but I am really excited about it. If they do a cool enough alternate cover, it'll be the first one of those I've picked up.

(And yes, Radiant Citadel was good. I'll be running a campaign later this fall, which will be fun.)
I really wonder what the Book of Many Things will look like: it sounds like it might be something genuinely different.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I might be in on this one. I dunno, it's hard to get too interested in player facing options until 5.5 comes out and refreshs the system. But this is a wait and see. Certainly I like the Deck of Many things, I bought a 4e Adventure primarily because it came with a physical Deck of Many Things
Everything they are putting out now is designed fir the new version: has been for a while, it turns out

I'd be very, very surprised if we don't see an official, physical deck released alongside this book.
Same here. It's a perfect tie-in, so there's probably about a zero chance they aren't planning this. People would probably buy an official deck even without a book tie-in, so why not go for both? I know I would be interested in getting it, even though as a DM, I wouldn't let the deck anywhere near any campaign I'm running, outside of maybe a fun one-off where drawing cards won't utterly derail all future plans, as the deck is wont to do...

Also, they tend not to announce accessory items until much closer to the release date. So it not being announced with the book doesn't mean anything for the moment.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases