Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite. The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s...
At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Neither of those mention a page count. You even quoted when I said the Polygon article doesn't mention a page count! Moreover, the PC Gamer article flat out says that WotC didn't give them a page count at the end of the article!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It doesn't need to have an adventure book at all. It could have a Sigil book, a Planes book, and a bestiary. They could include a single short starter adventure.

But personally, I suspect that Spelljammer is so successful that Planescape will be identical.
Citation? Heck, we're only discussing a slipcase because an article on Polygon mentioned it (and no page count was mentioned there) - there's been no actual confirmation of even that from WotC themselves...
No, that was from a presser that Chris Perkins and Chris Lindsey did, amd so we know that it is a slipcase, and that it will have 3 books: a bestiary, an adventure, and a Setting Guide. However, we don't know the page count. It could be 3 96 or 128, or 32 page books. Time will tell.

Neither of those mention a page count. You even quoted when I said the Polygon article doesn't mention a page count!
No, but it would be an extra expense to design a bigger slip-case. And collectors like their boxes to match. It's possible they might make the books a different size, but I see no particular reason to think that is at all likely, given the clear success of Spelljammer.

Weiley31

Legend
Neither of those mention a page count. You even quoted when I said the Polygon article doesn't mention a page count! Moreover, the PC Gamer article flat out says that WotC didn't give them a page count at the end of the article!
Well, we still got plenty of time for WoTC to dish out the details buttercup.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, but it would be an extra expense to design a bigger slip-case. And collectors like their boxes to match. It's possible they might make the books a different size, but I see no particular reason to think that is at all likely, given the clear success of Spelljammer.
They already have varied sized collector box sets, for the Core rules and the Rules Expansion sets. Another size wouldn't be out-of line. They ar taking survey responses for Spelljammer (see the QE code in the credits page for the Adventurer's Guide).

Weiley31

Legend
They already have varied sized collector box sets, for the Core rules and the Rules Expansion sets. Another size wouldn't be out-of line. They ar taking survey responses for Spelljammer (see the QE code in the credits page for the Adventurer's Guide).
Agreed. That would be almost on the lines of the Beadle and Grimm super fancy products.

A poster (I believe on this thread, but it might be another) who is familiar with the publishing industry says that would be easy to change with negligible expense. And consistency in size has never been on the WotC agenda - there's been a dozen or so varying page counts in 5e products...

Ah, here's the post on slipcase costs:

Weiley31

Legend
On a side note: I worry that if they did go the route of the 64-page slipcase style like they did with Spelljammer, I low key worry that the rules for Factions will be regulated to just using the rules for Factions in Ravnica. As in, there won't be barely anything at all and you'd have to have a whole nother book to fill in the blanks more. Like with Spelljammer: Adventures in Space and Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

And I'd be willing to bet that the biggest complaint on the survey will be the page count. From what I've seen here and elsewhere, most people are fine with what's in the set, but are unhappy over what's not in the set.

Remove ads

Remove ads