Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My recollection (through the mists of time) was that WotC was saying 3e was going to be 'fairly compatible' with 2e at a time when the rumour mill was going all a bit screw-loose with 'OMG the MtG company bought D&D and are going to make it into a CCG, you'll have to buy magic items in random boosters and playing a paladin will need a Rare card!'
I wonder how far back the ENWorld archives go. It would be fun to collect a greatest hits of the 2E->3E, 3E->4E and 4E->5E rumor mills. The card thing came up in more than one fandom freakout, as I recall.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
In fact, the 1st edition explanation (in Deities & Demigods) literally was that elves, half-orcs, and intelligent monsters didn't have "souls", they had something similar-but-distinct called "spirits", and that's why raise dead and resurrection didn't work on them.

In 2nd, that explanation wasn't carried forward, and resurrection worked on elves, but raise dead still didn't.

They could make cool stuff. But each time they they tried to use most magic items ("rods, staves, wands, rings, amulets, potions, horns, jewels, and all other magical items except weapons, shields, armor, gauntlets, and girdles"), there was a 20% chance the item wouldn't work.
no one even knows what the difference between a spirit vs soul is in the real world.
why even do that it just makes peoples lives worse.

why make dwarves bad at using what they make humans stuff does not randomly stop working for them in the game.

Reynard

Legend
why do you want them all gone? as it is a popular position but I have never really learned why?
is it just the animal people thing? as I consider that lazy you need to custom-make your races from lots of things to make something truly worthy.
I didn't mean to imply it was specifically only and exclusively "animal races." I prefer the aesthetic of human centric worlds and I don't like the Mos Eisley cantina feel. I get that people like that, which is why I specifically said I let my players have it. But my preferences are valid and I don't have to justify them to you. In fact, I think it is pretty rude for you to interrogate me about it.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases