• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 5E backgrounds for 3.5e

Gilladian

Adventurer
How would you go about adding something like 5E's backgrounds to 3.5? Would you do it differently if you were using E6 rather than full 3.5?

delericho

Legend
Yeah, I'd probably go with either Traits and Flaws, or borrow Pathfinder's background half-feats (I forget what they're called).

But the 5e backgrounds should be fairly easy to import - just give either a single weapon proficiency or give the Skill Focus feat in a single skill, and then give one minor benefit using the 5e ones as guidance.

Tony Vargas

Legend
How would you go about adding something like 5E's backgrounds to 3.5?
5e backgrounds are mostly fluff, except for a couple of skills. Port them over directly, but have them include 4 ranks in each of the skills their proficient in. Your choice whether they get more ranks as they level. Emulating 5e says the do, 3.5 logic says they don't.

Or, you can do what I did in one campaign, and start everyone with an NPC class to represent their background. Expert & Aristocrat being the obvious candidates, though you could get stuck with Commoner. Didn't count it against them when/if they multi-classed, though.

Last edited:

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
In an AD&D 2E game, my GM came up with a different kind of character generation. One thing he added was the characters having a hobby that played into their development.

Remove ads