(5E) D&D/Moorcock Multiverse Inspiration PBP

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Sirroco spied a swarm of weird, chaos creatures flying away from the smoldering trees and smoke where Sylvania should've been. They went high into the air and never noticed him all alone.

He wondered if he'd taken a wrong turn. He wasn't far from where he remembered the portal from Sigil to be.

As he thought to himself about returning to a warm bed at the Civic Festhall, Rocko wandered through the woods.

He heard voices ahead. Well, one particularly powerful voice. It sounded like he was having a conversation with one or two others.

The voices in conversation:

"Which way was it, anyhow, Boris? Wasn't there uh... portal somewheres about?"

"How in the great abyss should I know, guv? Been shit-faced since the start o' the whole thing, haven't I? Can't remember which bloody plane we're on anyway…"
A loud hiccup followed.

A third voice interrupted. "Oi there! You lads want any more o' this? I'm about to get outta this stinkin' place...head back down the river Styx…"

Sirroco couldn't see much ahead but shapes. A large castle or ruin on one side, near some running water. An oddly shaped structure, closer, on the other. That's where the voices seemed to be coming from.

* * *
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Eovin flew away from everyone to investigate further. Still keeping her distance, she could hear the trio carry on.

"No thank ye. He's had too much, but I'll have some more!"

"Shove it, lad. YOU'VE had 'nuff! I'LL have some more!"


The mezzoloth stated: "So, that's a yes for the both o' yous..." He started to gather two large barrels, with his four insect arms, from the wagon and bring them to the ogre and troll.

* * *
 

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ralph Crenshaw chided the satyr for hiding. The horned guy rolled his eyes and huffed, pointing to his right at a corpse in a little clearing (Laynard from Eovin's caravan, for those keeping score).

"Chaos can be ANYTHING Sir Champion. Best be careful..."
"You're yelling again," Ralph said. "That's not very sneaky."

Crenshaw, though, was out in the open. He watched as a little pixie (Eovin) descended to the cart and spoke. The cart, horses and all the fey-folk went on their way toward the riverbank. The little fairies waved at Ralph as the cart rolled away.
Ralph waved back. "Huh. A pixie. Cool." Ralph picked up the pace, falling into line on the cart's path, taking long strides, enjoying the ease with which me moved. "Man, if Coach Savage could see me now."

The satyr looked at Sir Ralph as the cart trundled away toward the group at the boat. He shrugged and ran to follow the Dreaming Knight, who was chasing.
"Relax, dude," Ralph said to the satyr. "Chaos may 'be anything', but that doesn't mean anything we bump into is chaos."

"Hey, Champion! Where's yoo mustache?" "Gunther! This is bad!" "Gunther, this lady gonna help us!" "These elves too!"
Ralph rubbed the stubble on his chin. "I don't know. I guess I could grow one here." He listened to the exchange of comments and questions. "Uh, I'm Ralph. Ralph Crenshaw. What's bad? What do you guys need help with?"
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Eovin watches the insect demon pour drinks for the big monsters. What are they waiting for? she wonders. I could ask. She lands on the top row of the bleachers. "When does it start?" she calls down to the giants. She holds a hand to her forehead and peers across the open field in front of the bleachers. "Wasn't it supposed to start by now?"
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Gunther, the satyr, hobbled over to the other fey on a cart. They all conversed and stared at Ralph Crenshaw.

"You need help with that mustache!" "Teeheehaha!" "We think that's the princess!" "The queen is dead the castle is ruined..."

"Chaos, Champion o' the Grail. They done all this."
The satyr nodded his head in a sort of I've-been-right-all-along sort of way.

Bradrick looked around in the bottom of the boat at Selythin's donated weapons.

The faeries kept chattering: "That one sure looks like Aov." "Sounds like him too!" "Why'd she done run off?" "She's chatting with the monsters!"

* * *
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
"Wasn't it supposed to start by now?" Eovin called out from the upper level of the bleachers.

The ogre and the troll, keen on receiving their barrels of ale and already drunk to boot, didn't notice who spoke.

"Already done. Over. Finito. Finished. It was a massacre!" The ogre with the eye-patch replied as he started drinking straight from the new barrel.

"I'd imagine we're missing the beginning of the next round..." The troll was filling a giant mug from his barrel. Also distracted.

The four-armed insect demon waved three of his arms lazily toward Eovin. "Shoo! I'm surprised you're not already fleeing like the rest o' your kind. Nothing to see here now, anyway..."

The mezzoloth continued to the pair of big guys. "Alright, lads. See you at the next one then?"

It was more a rhetorical question or a good-bye. He immediately tipped his hat and pushed his cart along.

* * *
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
That didn't help much, Eovin thought. She flew west off the bleachers and made a wide circle before returning to the boat, just in case.

"They seem to be resting after a big fight that is 'over'," Eovin reports to the group. "I think they had something to do with the castle smoldering to the north."
 

William Smith1

Explorer
Avoiding the voices and the strangely shaped structure, Sirocco doing his best to be quiet, moves toward the castle thinking to himself, "Hope there is some clue to what happened to Sylvania there."
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Sirocco went north. Seemed to him he was already in Arborea, which layer, who knew.

He snuck, clippity-cloppity, toward the smoldering ruins of the castle. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

This should be a happy place. Rocko's planar sense was spot on most of the time. This was not what it should be...

He heard the ogre and troll in the distance, swilling ale and clambering around on the bleachers.

He kept to the trees, investigating the castle. He saw the bleachers in the distance, a pixie conversing with the monsters for a moment before flying off, and then LOST her as she dipped into the trees.

On the ramparts of the castle in the middle of the river he saw a brooding figure. The figure occasionally threw out a black blob that turned into a winged, deformed, animal-like, chaos-beast.

The bariur ranger heard laughter echoing through the smokey forest.

* * *
 
Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Someone saw Eovin fly "west off the bleachers and made a wide circle before returning to the boat" from the castle? The idea was she didn't want her destination to be known to anyone who saw her on the bleachers.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Selythin looks at the cart full of feus. What are we getting involved with? he muses to himself sarcastically. He sighs in acceptance of he situations, and signals to all the folk in the cart to come to the boat.
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
(Sirroco didn't see Eovin. I was wrong. The ogre, troll, and mezzo-demon didn’t pay attention. You’re still hidden. If you guys want better stealth or perception include dice rolls for those. I’ve been going off of passive ability scores.)
 
Last edited:

JharyOConnah

Explorer
(Double-checked ability scores. Eovin was NOT seen by Sirocco after perching on the benches for a moment to talk. Her stealth, even passive, was better than the bariur ranger's perception. Admitting I was just trying to tie you all together. Apologies. I like to keep it copasetic with everyone. Editing the above post too.)
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: I have no problem with him spotting Eovin at the bleachers. But after taking off she was making sure not to be spotted by the giants and demon so they couldn't find their way to the boat. In any case...


"So what's the plan. Head toward the castle?" Eovin asks as she sees the carters and faeries boarding the boat.
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
The fey clamored aboard the small-ish boat. So did Jim and Bo and Bradrick, making the craft wobble wildly in the water.

Zenythin stayed along the bank, peeking through the burnt woods at the bleachers bearing the drunken one-eyed ogre and shit-faced troll. The mezzoloth had gone off into what was left of the forest toward the north. The pair of loud-mouths staggered and stumbled down the benches onto ground level.

"So wait...which way to round two?" The ogre bellowed then belched loudly.

"Should we follow the bug fellow toward the river styx? I seem to remember there being a gateway around HERE somewhere...hic...Can't recollect exactly..." The troll staggered indiscriminately toward the river to the east. He threw the empty barrel toward the water, but failed to meet his mark.

Cousin Zenythin looked at Selythin, attempting to read his thoughts.

* * *

Sirocco, the bariur ranger, continued to wind and hide his way through the trees. He was watching the laughing, robed figure on the battlements. Rocko was getting a serious 'evil wizard' vibe.

He looked around for any other signs of Sylvania or any other part of Arborea for that matter. It seemed he was in the fey-wild or maybe the fey-dark...Things didn't seem right. He kept clip-clopping quietly to see more.

The river ran to either side of the castle ruin. It was rushing along at a quick pace. Rocko doubted he could swim it without being carried far along the river past the keep. His bow could reach, but he wouldn't hit without the help o'the gods.

If only he had a boat. Or, perhaps, he could track back upstream and swim from a better vantage point, landing on the castle's island.

* * *
 

William Smith1

Explorer
Sirocco seeing that he cannot ford the river here decides to back track upstream and see if he can find a slower and more easily crossed area. He will not go as far as the Ogre and Troll however. Thinking again to himself, "Maybe that Wizard has a clue, evil or not he may have the dark of it. Gotta find a way to get to him and see if he will rattle his bone box about things."
 
"They're the ones that burned down the castle?"

Alan looked to Page, his demeanor grim. "If someone would be so kind as to lend me a sword? I have some pointed questions to ask them when we get in range."
 

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Bradrick reached for a couple of javelins. Jim grabbed the bow and quiver at the bottom of the boat. All the gathered humans and fey looked at one another in anticipation of trouble.

Page stared back at Alan. "They must be the bastards who did this...pardon my fey-dark..."

Zenythin steered the rowboat along the eastern edge of the river, as far as possible from the monsters on the far bank.

The boat inched up the river. Everyone aboard could still see through the smoke along the water. The ogre with an eye-patch and green-skinned troll staggered drunkenly off the bleachers and toward the water.

They were still oblivious. And slow. They kept stopping to laugh and jibe each other.

At a very casual pace the ogre and troll made their way to the river edge and headed south.

Meanwhile, the very-full row-boat continued north, toward the pair's very position.

* * *
 

Advertisement

Top