D&D 5E 5e D&D Poker

ingrowdisback

Villager
Dude, I spent more than 20 minutes and read your post very carefully. Have you already launched your project? It sounds really very cool and I'm sure it could be a great startup, but the problem is that there are a lot of competitors in the gambling market and also a lot of fraud. Based on this, all risks must be assessed. For example, in your post there were several very dubious concepts and I personally would not risk it. I have been playing online poker for the past two weeks and there the concept of the game is much simpler and it helps me make more profit. So it will just be unprofitable for me to go to your site. Nevertheless, if you consult with a professional in this area, then you can get an excellent business model. Good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:

clearstream

(He, Him)
I was thinking about running a high stakes card game (poker) in an upcoming D&D session and wanted to find a way to actually have the players play poker but augment it with their characters' abilities. Essentially this meant finding a way of providing advantages/disadvantages to players based on a few key poker-related skills. I also wanted rolling to be minimal so generally, unless there's a lot of cheating going on, there's only one roll at the start of every hand.

Int (Playing Cards) is very powerful as it shows knowledge and experience with playing cards. It determines how potentially powerful a hand will be and to a smaller degree a potential reduction in financial risk. This roll is straight up against standard DCs.

Cha (Deception) and Wis (Insight) are used as their Passive scores to show the use of bluffs and seeing through bluffs throughout the game. Because bluffing is a social skill I did not want it to overshadow the players' actual attempts at bluffing during card play so the results are more about getting other players to commit more money to a pot than influencing the hand.

Finally we have the cheats. This is a very risky but potentially rewarding move. It involves players using Dex (Sleight of Hand) to control the deal or palming a card to win the hand and is more difficult to do if the cheat is not the dealer. This is opposed by the other players observing with Wisdom (Perception). Of course, cheats that are caught are likely to pay a stiff price.

5e D&D Poker

• Based on standard 5-card Draw poker rules.
  • Establish Ante, which forms the basis of betting increments and Bluff penalties. This means that a 1gp ante bet increments in 1gp multiples, a 5gp ante bets increments in 5gp multiples, etc.
Example: A player opens for 5gp in a 5gp ante game. The next player raises the minimum, or 5 more gp, making the total bet 10gp.

Prior to Deal
- All players roll an Int (Playing Cards) Ability Check.
* < DC 10: Player receives 4 cards at deal​
* DC 10: Player receives 5 cards at deal​
* DC 15: Player receives 6 cards at deal​
* DC 20: Player receives 6 cards at deal and does not need to Ante for the hand.​
* DC 25: Player receives 7 cards at deal and does not need to Ante for the hand.​
* DC 30: Player receives 7 cards at deal, does not need to Ante for the hand and may draw to 6 cards during the Draw round.​

Ante
- All players place an Ante in the pot unless exempt by their Int (Playing Cards) Ability Check.
Example: Three players (A, B & C) in a 5gp Ante game have rolled an Int (Playing Cards) check with A getting a 21, B getting a 12 and C getting an 8. Players B and C both Ante 5gp but Player A does not.

Deal
- The dealer deals cards to players based on the result of their Int (Playing Cards) Ability Check.
Example: With the Int (Playing Cards) rolls from the above example we find that Player A gets 6 cards, Player B gets 5 and Player C gets 4 from the deal.

First Betting Round
  • Players may review their hand, remembering that only 5 cards will count in the Showdown.
  • Before any player bets or folds and starting with the player with the highest Passive Deception score, players may declare a Bluff. Only one Bluff per betting round is allowed. All players with a Passive Insight less than the Bluffing player's Passive Deception must place an additional Ante into the Pot. The Bluffing player must also always place an additional Ante, regardless of their Passive Insight.
Example: In a 5gp Ante game, Player A has a Passive Deception of 12 and a Passive Insight of 15, Player B has a Passive Deception of 18 and a Passive Insight of 11 while Player C has a Passive Deception of 10 and a Passive Insight of 14. The decision to Bluff begins with Player B (Passive Deception of 18) who decides not to, then to Player A (Passive Deception of 12) who decides to Bluff. As the Bluffer, Player A must place 5gp in the pot as must Player B (Passive Insight of 11) but not Player C (Passive Insight of 14).

Draw Round
  • Players may discard up to all their cards and must discard to have at most 5 cards in their hand.
  • Players are then dealt a number of cards to get them back to a 5 card hand. Exception - Players rolling a DC 30 Int (Playing Cards) Ability Check at the start of the hand are dealt cards to get them to a 6 card hand.

Second Betting Round
- Bluffs (see First Betting Round) may occur again.

Showdown
- Prior to laying down cards at the Showdown one or more players may declare they are Cheating. Once this is done all players then declare if they will be using their Passive Perception or rolling a Wisdom (Perception) check to detect the cheat. Then all Cheats roll a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, at Disadvantage if they are not the dealer. Each roll that exceeds the other players' declared Perception checks are considered successful, while failures are detected. The highest successful Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check automatically wins the pot. Detected cheaters are dealt with severely, at the least their entire table stakes are taken and distributed evenly among the other players.
Example: Player A, B and C are ready for the showdown. However prior to laying cards down Player C says she will try to cheat. Player A declares they will roll a Wisdom (Perception) check, rolling a 17) while Player B will default to Passive Perception (18). Player C is not the dealer so she rolls her Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check at Disadvantage but lucks out and scores a 20, thus stealing the pot!
- Unless the pot is stolen by Cheating, players present the best five-card hand from their cards and the winner determined by the standard rules for 5-card Draw Poker.
I love the general idea. I've dabbled a bit in the past with simulating games within games. For me, a crucial focus is tension. Fictional losses are at a great remove from real losses, so an important problem is how to make players really feel that. With that in mind, I would first of all suggest streamlining the steps.

Table Stakes
You mention this but do not define it. I think you want a step where everyone commits an equal amount of gp to the game. That is their table stake and they cannot bet more than this. The tension here might be to offer some interacting variants
  1. Low stakes - 100 copper, silver or gold, as is right for the group
  2. High stakes - 1000 silver, gold or platinum, as is right for the group
  3. Open stakes - you put at least 200 coin down to play, and can bring in more money as the game goes along
  4. Low limit - ante and bet are 2 of the coin
  5. High limit - ante and bet are 5 of the coin (alternatively, bet is up to current pot, but I think it easier to use fixed units)
  6. Unlimited - you can bet whatever you can afford to bet

Prior to Deal and Deal
I would consider doing this in one step, each player receiving 5+Int modifier cards. So with Int 12, I get 6 cards. With Int 8, I get 4.
EDIT characters with Playing Cards use their skill modifier instead.

Ante
I think we want all players to have something at stake. So I would simplify to - everyone antes.

First Betting Round
So the order of this is going to be fixed, right. Whoever has highest passive Deception in round one will always have highest. Bards, Sorcerers and Warlocks, then. And Clerics, Druids are the ones most likely to resist them (and secondarily Monks, Paladins and Rangers). Your bluff mechanic is one of your key tension-drivers, as it puts some of what happens outside player control! They might be pulled in for significantly more than they intended.

This is going to be fiddly to resolve, it could be something like this
  1. If you have a dealer (with DM dealing for NPCs) I don't see why one could not just go around the table in the usual order for Poker
  2. In their turn, a character can fold, bet (equal to ante), bluff, or be drawn-in (in response to earlier bluffers)
  3. To bluff, they name any number up to their passive Deception; the round continues; more than one character can bluff; this might be tracked by putting a die in front of each bluffer
  4. If there are bluffs in play, that are higher than acting character's passive Insight, they are drawn-in (must bet)
  5. If there are bluffs in play, that are equal or lower than acting character's passive Insight, they can choose to be drawn-in (all this really means, is betting anyway)
Draw Round
I would simplify to just discard down to 5 or fewer cards, then back draw up to 5 if holding fewer. That's because there really isn't much value or tension so far as I can see in over-engineering this step.

EDIT Second Betting Round
I want to suggest a refinement here, to allow stakes to escalate a bit more terrifyingly.
  1. In a character's turn to bet, they can also double, meaning that what is simulated is an additional round of betting
  2. Each time a character doubles this round, the betting unit increases by 1x
  3. Example with five at table, A bets 2cp, B doubles thus betting 4cp, C bets 4cp, D doubles betting 6cp, dealer bets 6cp
Doubling this way (in the D&D sense of "doubling") would allow the stakes to escalate in an exciting fashion. Adding tension by getting players suddenly in for more than they might have wanted. Also allowing participants to collaborate to put another out of the game, fostering drama-driving ill-will etc.

Showdown
This can be another tension-driver, and I think your mechanic goes in the right direction, but could be more exciting if it does not guarantee a win. The cheater risks disaster, and perhaps bootlessly! Perhaps
  1. In normal table order (around from dealer) characters show or cheat
  2. If showing, they reveal their hand
  3. If cheating, they roll Sleight of Hand, with disadvantage as you say if not dealer, and I would suggest advantage if dealer (just to encourage a bit of lively action)
    1. Interested characters (a character can choose to be disinterested) decide as you say between using passive or active Perception, EDIT or their Playing Cards skill, in place of Perception
    2. If their Sleight of Hand is higher than all Perception checks, they look at the deck and must exchange one card, and then reveal their hand EDIT with characters drawing do many extra cards, it might be they must also look at discards
    3. If caught out, you mention table stakes
  4. The showdown continues (multiple characters can cheat)
I think there's no practical way to conceal that cheating has occurred - because dice are being rolled! - hence this system. The cheat gains a huge advantage, but not a guaranteed win.

Anyway, the idea is to ramp tension with each mechanic. I like that you cap the betting to two rounds.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
@FrankoLe welcome to the site, stay around and add your 2 coppers. This is a thread from a few years ago though.

My thought is that to have people trained in gambling or bluffing to get two hands dealt to them.

Remove ads