D&D 5E [5e DM Help] Keeping the lid on....what builds should I NOT allow?

Alatar

First Post
Regarding moving between the blow and the bonus-action attack, I'll just note our table allowed it (and I believe accurately).

I agree. The 5e rules say moving between attacks is allowed. That is the general rule. The general rule on taking bonus actions is, "You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified." The timing of the GWM bonus action is not specified in the feat description. The prerequisite that must be met to get the bonus is specified, but that is the nature of all bonus actions. The general rule still applies.

A specific exception to the general rule requires an explicit statement to that effect. In this case, there is no exception explicitly stated.

In my experience, a strict literal interpretation of the rules text is the correct one. Every once in a great while, Jeremy Crawford says otherwise, overruling RAW in deference to his original intent. But I've only actually seen this happen once, and I follow his feed on Twitter, and I query Sage Advice via Google searches rather assiduously.

In the great majority of cases, questions posed to Crawford reveal what the petitioner thinks the rule "should" be, rather than what it plainly states, or fails to state. In almost every instance, they are rebuffed. And were I to see this bonus attack issue brought up on Crawford's twitter feed, I would expect him to affirm your position, and I would categorize the petitioner as another example of someone who has reasoned themselves to what the rule "ought to be," in the absence of any actual supporting text.

The one counter example that I have run across is the ruling that the Resilient feat can only be taken once. It does not say this in the text, or in the published errata, but when asked, Jeremy Crawford stated that such was the case.

Now, one might argue that the line in the Elemental Adept feat that states, "You can select this feat multiple times," by inference indicates that all feats lacking such a statement can only be taken once. And if you did infer that, you would have been right. So maybe this is not the cleanest example of textual literalism overturned. But to get to the correct answer about the Resilient feat did require the reader to infer a general rule about feats from a specific rule applied to a single feat. And that's not common in the 5e rules. Rather it is exceeding rare, maybe even unique. And contrary to this example, it is inference, in my experience, which most often leads people astray. To get it right in almost every instance, infer as little as need be inferred.

Not to get all Talmudic.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi, The only thing I find dubious is having multiple simulacra around. Because if I can have more than one, I can have many. Everything else is fine, with some classes, feats and features outshining others. That will always happen when two options are fundamentally different. Problems only arise when there are two groups of players each playing a different game, with one group going for the very best options and the other going for mediocre or worse options, either by choice or accident. When everyone is playing the same kind of game, a GM can scale encounters appropriately. My sympathies lie with players going for the best options: They have invested in the game. This is similar to real life: People with high Int and aptitude with math, for example, seem to 'cheat' by taking opportunities that leverage their intellect, the same way that athletic people often gravitate toward sports (Olympians are cheaters for playing sports they are actually good at!) and the musically inclined toward music. But they are all shallow, cardboard people, of course, because everyone knows that only pessimized characters offer real roleplay. Anyway, Ken

Motorskills

Explorer
I see all these builds, but when you see that as DM you give them a chance to shine and then you give them a jolt with an encounter where it doesn't all work for them.

Not doing this. Having to tweak encounters to cater for a single character is exactly what I want to avoid.

Remove ads