D&D 5E 5E Economics - Armor, Cortine Steel & Elven Chain

Archade

Azer Paladin
And since I'm sitting at home relaxing, with time on my hands, here's a second part to my 5E Economics article, talking about regional armor variants, and creating options for players after 1st level and before magic armor might find their way into their world ... and expanding on the rarity ratings to make non-magical but useful exotic armors available in your game.

Cheers!

Warren Ellis

Explorer
It's my own home-based Western Marches campaign world. I've played with versions of this world since university and my AD&D days ...
Is there a post or article that goes into more detail about the setting in general?

As for the prices, how come the rare armors are varied in cost like "501-5000 gp", for example? Like what causes the variety in price?

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
And since I'm sitting at home relaxing, with time on my hands, here's a second part to my 5E Economics article, talking about regional armor variants, and creating options for players after 1st level and before magic armor might find their way into their world ... and expanding on the rarity ratings to make non-magical but useful exotic armors available in your game.

Cheers!

What is cortine steel? Do you mean corten steel?

Coroc

Hero
In my campaigns I tend to introduce a very detailed economic scheme, fitted for tech level.

For items like elven chain or other magic stuff there is only a pro forma pricing, like e.g. full plate: 800 $
Elven chain +1: 50.000 $* with the star in the price list meaning that you usually cannot buy this regularly.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Is there a post or article that goes into more detail about the setting in general?

As for the prices, how come the rare armors are varied in cost like "501-5000 gp", for example? Like what causes the variety in price?

My other blog articles go into some detail about my campaign setting. I've developed a 'gazeteer' doc that's a bout 200 pages of campaign world information... I'll try to share more as the pandemic goes on.

I may not have explained the range pricing well ... for a dagger, 10 gp might be the expected price, but with rare items there's no established market. One town might sell a mithral shirt for 500 gp, the same town a month later, or the next city over might sell it for 5,000 gp. By putting a range on it, it avoids the MagicMart expectations of 3E, and makes rare items a little more elusive ..

dave2008

Legend
Nope, Cortine is a city state in my campaign world famed for it's armor and weapons.
OK, then wouldn't be better (if you want other's to use it) just to call it "masterwork" armor or something similar? Then the city-state of Cortine can be known for its masterwork armor and weapons? I'm never going to use Cortine armor, but I would use something more generic.

Last edited:

Archade

Azer Paladin
OK, then wouldn't be better (if you want other's to use it) just to call it "masterwork" armor or something similar? Then the city-state of Cortine can be none for its masterwork armor and weapons? I'm never going to use Cortine armor, but I would use something more generic.

I could ... but it's a regional thing that ties it to the campaign. Would someone want masterwork bourbon, or Kentucky bourbon? It also infers it's not universal. Finding a good Cortine steel longsword in the northern reaches of Brael Mar is a lot harder than finding it in the City-State of Cortine itself ...

Remove ads