GreenTengu

Adventurer
Goblin
You gain +2 Dexterity and +1 to either Wisdom or Charisma
Size: Small
Speed: 30
* You have Dark Vision 60'
* You add 1 to your Initiative score
* You may choose either Animal Handling or Deception and gain proficiency in that skill.
* You may choose either one set of Artisan's Tools or Vehicles (Land) and gain proficiency with that tool.
* You have advantage on checks against being afflicted with or for escaping the Restrained condition
* You have the Halfling Nimbleness like the Lightfoot Halfling subrace
* You have Mask of the Wild like the Wood Elf subrace
Languages: Common and Goblinic

Gith (yanki or zerai)
You may add +2 one and +1 to another of your Dexterity, Intelligence or Wisdom attributes.
Size: Medium
* You have Darkvision 60'
* You are proficient with either the Acrobatics or the Insight skill.
* You are telepathic and may share words or images with those within 60’ without speaking.
* You have advantage on Wisdom saves to resist Charms and Illusions
* You gain the Mage Hand cantrip
Languages: Common and Githish

Hobgoblin
You gain +2 Constitution and +1 to either Wisdom or Charisma
* You have Darkvision 60'
* You gain proficiency in Athletics
* You add 1 to your Initiative score.
* You may choose 1 Maneuver from the Battlemaster Fighter subclass
* You have 1 superiority die of 1d6. This die increases to d8 at level 3, d10 at level 10 and d12 at level 18.
* You may choose a single martial weapon and gain proficiency with it.
Languages: Common, Goblinic

Rakasta/Catfolk
Attribute Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution
Speed: 35
* You have Dark Vision 60'
* You are proficient in Perception skill
* You are proficient with Unarmed Attacks and your unarmed attacks deal 1d4 slashing damage
* You are resistant to falling Damage
* You have Mask of the Wild like the Wood Elf subrace
* You have the ability to "speak" with both large and small cats.
Languages: Common and Rakastaian

Jediking

Explorer
Goblin: Should they have advantage vs being grappled as well as restrained? Overall seems balanced. I think that Small isn't much of an issue, just the -5 ft speed. So having 30 ft speed but a Small creature wouldn't be a negative. I think. Mostly going off of how I valued Dwarves vs other races.

Gith: I think this is great, but resisting Illusions AND Telepathy might be a bit much. Looking at the new SCAG Duergar Resilience and Ghostwise Halfling, either trait on it's own seems fair, but I really doubt it will break anything as both are utility/situational.

Hobgoblin: Again, not sure how Initiative should be valued (if any). I like the 1 Maneuver, but no idea how it compares. That's what play-testing is for :p

Rakasta: I mostly just looked at Wood Elf to compare. Looks good, but maybe make Unarmed Strikes finesse.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Goblin: Should they have advantage vs being grappled as well as restrained? Overall seems balanced. I think that Small isn't much of an issue, just the -5 ft speed. So having 30 ft speed but a Small creature wouldn't be a negative. I think. Mostly going off of how I valued Dwarves vs other races.

Hmm... maybe. I am hesitant to put in grappling because it is perhaps a little more difficult to escape a restraint that an intelligent creature can adjust rather than an inanimate restraint.
As for small, the only effects are that you can't use heavy weapons (basically all 2-handed melee) and you can't grapple large sized creatures. But you realize that Dwarfs aren't small sized, right? I am not sure why they are your point of reference. The small size races are Halflings and Gnomes.

Gith: I think this is great, but resisting Illusions AND Telepathy might be a bit much. Looking at the new SCAG Duergar Resilience and Ghostwise Halfling, either trait on it's own seems fair, but I really doubt it will break anything as both are utility/situational.

I am not sure Telepathy is going to be terribly powerful. The way I worded it, it should be clear that it is one way. They can't take anything from other people's minds which is where a lot of abuse of it would come in. All they can do is send messages-- it is the same as a minor ability attached to one of the Warlock subclasses just worded a bit differently.

Resistance to Illusions and Charms might be quite powerful though.

Hobgoblin: Again, not sure how Initiative should be valued (if any). I like the 1 Maneuver, but no idea how it compares. That's what play-testing is for :p

Rakasta: I mostly just looked at Wood Elf to compare. Looks good, but maybe make Unarmed Strikes finesse.

Yeah, I said the initiative wasn't so good. Maybe take that off and let them choose a second weapon would be better.
The maneuver and battle die is meant to be roughly the equivalent of a Cantrip, it is better in some ways and worse in others (particularly when the cantrip scales). But it conceptually fits the race as the sort of training one could imagine they would get and the player can choose the ability that best fits their character concept, background and class so that it melds together well.

It probably does need a little bit more because if I measure it up against High Elf, things correlate 1 for 1 pretty well except that the High Elf gets the resistance to charm and immunity to sleep spells as well as the ability to rest for only half the time and be fully alert while "asleep". But those are both pretty minor so it would have to be something minor as well. Maybe to resist diseases and/or something that interacts with the traveling rules (maybe grab 2 of the Ranger's 6 bonuses).

As for adding finesse to unarmed attacks... well... the Aarakocra didn't do that to my understanding.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
[MENTION=6777454]TheHobgoblin[/MENTION],

I assume you don't mind if I borrow your hobgoblin race to help me create my own. I like the use of the Maneuver from the fighter class. Interesting idea. I likely won't use the initiative bonus or the superiority die concept.

Once done, my version will go up here.

EDIT: Okay, that didn't take me long. :p

Last edited:

GreenTengu

Adventurer
[MENTION=6777454]TheHobgoblin[/MENTION],

I assume you don't mind if I borrow your hobgoblin race to help me create my own. I like the use of the Maneuver from the fighter class. Interesting idea. I likely won't use the initiative bonus or the superiority die concept.

You realize that having a maneuver without a superiority die is like saying "this race gets a cantrip, but only if you dragonblooded sorcerer". Without a superiority die, the maneuver doesn't actually do anything and the only other way to get the die would be to be the Battlemaster class-- so you would be forcing the whole race to be that one class in order to use a racial ability. And it would be a class that already gets all martial weapons, so it would negate another important ability.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You realize that having a maneuver without a superiority die is like saying "this race gets a cantrip, but only if you dragonblooded sorcerer". Without a superiority die, the maneuver doesn't actually do anything and the only other way to get the die would be to be the Battlemaster class-- so you would be forcing the whole race to be that one class in order to use a racial ability. And it would be a class that already gets all martial weapons, so it would negate another important ability.
Hmm, I did not realize that. I've added it into the racial traits.

Remove ads