D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

Caliburn101

Explorer
All three fighters have girdles of storm giant strength...

Good lord - what campaign is this supposed to be IN?

The point stands. This is a whiteroom monster and no actual campaign would warrants it's use UNLESS as a world ending monster, or in the extreme corner case that from low level the party knew it was coming, had somehow divined or researched all of it's abilities and dedicated their careers to being the ones to kill it.

Every other entry here is usable in any campaign as a challenge to whatever party of heroes exist. Big T. does not.

If it is a world-ending monster a GM needs - it's good to go. If not, then it is a curio in the line-up never to be used unless there is some other way to permanently trap it that exists in the game as a unique artefact or something similar - a kind of 'you cannot kill this so you have to get very creative' sort of way.

In which case, I'd put that in the description for the GM to get a sense of how it is best used. 5th Edition is very magic-centric and this is too anti-magic to work for a normal campaign.

dave2008

Legend
All three fighters have girdles of storm giant strength...

Good lord - what campaign is this supposed to be IN?

It is not. That is what I have been saying. It is supposed to be an impossible fight for all but the most insane group.

The point stands. This is a whiteroom monster and no actual campaign would warrants it's use UNLESS as a world ending monster, or in the extreme corner case that from low level the party knew it was coming, had somehow divined or researched all of it's abilities and dedicated their careers to being the ones to kill it.

There is nothing wrong with a good white room! Yes that is exactly what I am going for - so maybe I hit the nail on the head!

Every other entry here is usable in any campaign as a challenge to whatever party of heroes exist. Big T. does not.

That is the design intent. Thank you for noticing!

If it is a world-ending monster a GM needs - it's good to go. If not, then it is a curio in the line-up never to be used unless there is some other way to permanently trap it that exists in the game as a unique artefact or something similar - a kind of 'you cannot kill this so you have to get very creative' sort of way.

In which case, I'd put that in the description for the GM to get a sense of how it is best used. 5th Edition is very magic-centric and this is too anti-magic to work for a normal campaign.

Yes, if these were to be published the write would need to include some ideas how to use (or not use) this beast. It is not for the faint of heart!

Stalker0

Legend
Never underestimate the power of high level groups...players think of the most insane ways to beat monsters.

Case in point. I see nothing that would stop a party from casting plane shift on the Tarrasque to the Elemental Plane of Water (its even relatively easy as far as things that hit the creature go). The Tarrasque has a swim speed but no water breathing. And....drowns....THE END.

A 20th level wizard could cast invulnerability, and then have 3 slots to try and plane shift the Tarrasque. Immune to damage, could still cast the spell if it got swallowed...sure its not a guaranteed plan but that is only 1 20th level character, let alone a party of them.

And that was just 5 minutes of thinking, god knows what a team of people spending some time on this would come up with.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Ankheg Queen, Soldier, Drone, and Broodling. Together with the MM Ankheg this makes a nice little hive of Ankhegs.

dave2008

Legend
Case in point. I see nothing that would stop a party from casting plane shift on the Tarrasque to the Elemental Plane of Water (its even relatively easy as far as things that hit the creature go).

Not a bad idea, but you do have to succeed on a melee attack spell (not easy w/ AC 25) and big T gets a save at +9 w/ advantage. Of course if it succeeds on the save, there is a 25% chance the caster is banished!

I think most casters want to avoid melee, but using invulnerability would give you a chance (there is still a 25% chance you will be banished each time you fail to banish big T.) Of course I don't allow that spell as I think it is OP, but it is a good idea for those that allow it.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Astral Abomination (aka the Astral Dreadnought) to the Monstrosities section. It is a CR 21 elite. I started with the 5e version and then added back in some classic abilities and traits from older versions (rend & frighten presence).

dave2008

Legend
I have added a little party of Azers to the humanoid section: Azer Commander (CR 5), Azer Warrior (CR 2), Azer Archer (CR 2), Azer Assassin (CR 1), Azer Mage (CR 2), and Azer Priest (CR 2)

That is it for the "A"s for now. I am also going to take a little break on this thread to do some work on my Epic Character's thread. I should be back in a couple of weeks (if not sooner).

Stalker0

Legend
I was reading over the Green Dragon's, and had a few notes:

1) The young dragon's speed is actually less than the base book, was that intentional?

2) I like the dominating prescence to remove resistance, but not immunity to charm. I think immunities are very special things, and the whole point is for a party member to sit back and relax while his friends are sweating bullets at the effect they have to do. That's a key moment of specialness for players, and not something I think should be taken away.

3) I would increase the level of poison spray. For example for the Viscount, at max level the spray does 26 damage, compared to the regular attack routine that's peanuts. Even at max level its basically a ribbon ability.

4) Poisonous Wounds and Unstoppable are AWESOME!

5) Should luring glare be a charm effect?

6) How long does the poisoned condition on the breath weapon last?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases