D&D 5E 5E has been really refreshing to me.

Sezarious

Explorer
Hi all

I just wanted to say, I only got back into D&D at the start of the year as a DM and I have found the system to be really refreshing to work with. Prior to this I had felt like creation of a story and running a player through it was just so boring as it kind of felt clunky. In regards to the 'rules vs rulings' debate, I think for me, I often felt kind of dirty or like I was breaking the RAW often in Pathfinder, but now I can more easily sculpt my world. I just wanted to put my compliments forward to the system which has revitalised my desire to be a storyteller.

My party have been loving the game too. I'm quite content heavy when it comes to trying to create a world where players can interact socially with the npcs or have impacts on the way in which things are run. My players have always made some surprising decisions too which have allowed them to save the day by turning up to a location earlier and stop it from being destroyed. Otherwise they will have arrived at smoking ruins of certain locations at least twice so far. As a result, I've been throwing bigger challenges against them. They seem to be anticipating my moves better as they learn more about the way the world seems to work as well as the tactics of their enemies.

At times, they have tried to use story elements to assist them in combat situations. They'll make a suggestion and I will state a number to beat and roll percentile dice where appropriate. Their most recent decision was to either double back to obtain their first lot of magical items or to keep chasing a powerful mage and not give them any distance. They chose the magic loot! Now they must deal with the consequence. This is such a fun game because it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Welcome to the 5e family! Alot of us have had similar experiences with this latest edition, it encourages lots of creativity from players and DM's, its truly the best edition yet.

Remove ads