D&D 5E 5E inspired by B/X?

S

Sunseeker

I don't care what edition 5E is based off. I don't care what it is inspired by. All that does is add fuel to self-righteous edition-warriors.

I care about two things:
1: Is 5E fun?
2: Does 5E work?

To a lesser extent I care that WOTC has learned from the mistakes of the past, and also from their successes. I feel that on these counts 5E is a significant success. New people, old people, people from editions that never mingled can generally all play at the same table in 5E and generally have an experience that isn't bound up in wondering if the rules are going to work today and simultaneously have an experience that is not wholly bound up by the rules.

JeffB

Legend
psrsonally I think 4e gives me more of that Moldvay/Cook/Marsh vibe as neither edition is tied down to the fluff/flavor/ip of 1e, 2e, 3e and 5e.

I see all editions when analyzing the rules of 5e, but playing at the table, I find it very much it's own game.

Iosue

Legend
I don't care what edition 5E is based off. I don't care what it is inspired by. All that does is add fuel to self-righteous edition-warriors.

Fear not. I can tell you from long experience that almost no one gives enough of a crap about B/X to edition war over it. It's the Burma Corps of the Edition Wars.

Tony Vargas

Legend
5E inspired by B/X?
I went straight from Basic to Advanced in 1980, so couldn't say for sure if B/X, specifically, contributed that much (The Basic of B/X reportedly being different from the Basic I started with). But, 5e seems to draw heavily from classic D&D - the D&D of the 20th century, particularly the fad years of the early 80s - which means B/X as well as AD&D 1e. I see the AD&D influence most strongly. Not so much in specific mechanics, but in overall design philosophy. The idea that the rules are created only to give the DM a starting point, and that balance is something that happens at the table, as the characters develop and the players & DM acquire greater skill, not on the drawing the board.

Remove ads