• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5E] Let's Brainstorm a Sumo Class!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Sumo, is, and always has been, a sport. From a philosophical point of view, it would be like having a pro-footballer class.

You could do a monk subclass which emphasises grappling, but I think I would call it something else.

I think that this raises the question of how 5e should approach martial arts styles beyond either coming up with new Monk traditions or letting the player describe how they’re fighting/grappling. Should there be feats that provide new options of attack/defense/stance? Should a few new Battlemaster maneuvers be created that work with grappling or weaponless fighting (thus allowing another character to take them via Martial Adept)? Previous editions came up with different subsystem solutions — dating back to 1e’s OA — some working better than others, to describe martial arts styles and schools outside of the usual attack progression (and as more than just “this is the Monk class”). Does the 5e system have proper tools to naturally build the same?

I think that this raises the question of how 5e should approach martial arts styles beyond either coming up with new Monk traditions or letting the player describe how they’re fighting/grappling. Should there be feats that provide new options of attack/defense/stance? Should a few new Battlemaster maneuvers be created that work with grappling or weaponless fighting (thus allowing another character to take them via Martial Adept)? Previous editions came up with different subsystem solutions — dating back to 1e’s OA — some working better than others, to describe martial arts styles and schools outside of the usual attack progression (and as more than just “this is the Monk class”). Does the 5e system have proper tools to naturally build the same?
I think that in general martial arts are covered by existing attack/shove/grapple options, but this doesn't mean that 5e doesn't have room for expansion on that front. Just as people wanting more detail in weapon selection can create them or check out DMsguild, those same options are there for those wanting a more detailed fighting system.
Players can describe their attacks how they like, so a Champion Fighter who is a disciplined martial artist can come across quite differently than one who is a self-taught brawler for example.

I'm not sure whether Battlemaster maneuvers can technically be used with unarmed strikes, but if not, I would certainly houserule that they can. A player wanting to play a character focusing on unarmed styles of martial arts could pick from several class options depending on what they want to be able to do, and whether they want to use magic to do it.

jasper

Rotten DM
Sumo, is, and always has been, a sport. From a philosophical point of view, it would be like having a pro-footballer class.

Hail Mary. On Init 1 when group hps are under 10, Pro-football can cast spell "Hail Mary" dc int check. On fail, the monster allows pc to move pass them at 3x movement with no AOO.

jasper

Rotten DM
- A way to make grappling more effective, such as by making it take less time and deal damage. Maybe a target can be pinned just by standing on them, freeing the sumo to attack without letting the target go....
The Weird Harold Buck Buck Champion cast "You ain't falling on me" DC 10 Athletics, Acrobatics.

akr71

Hero
As for Mechanics, I'd go with the following:
- Counting as Large for the purpose of Grappling and Shoving (both as actor and target)
- Ki powers for Advantage on Grappling and Shoving

Perhaps as a replacement for Slow Fall?

- Some specific bonus to Grappling or Shoving as part of a Flurry
- Ki power to increase range on a Shove (Successful shove is normally 5ft)
- Ability to lift and throw grappled target (ki power?)
- Bonus of some sort to moving with or re-positioning a grappled target.

Change Unarmored Movement to a bonus to grappling shove and throw distance?

- Sumo is often decided by a sudden fast open, maybe some form (ki power?) of first round only initiative bonus with advantage on first attack?

I don't know where I'd put this, but I like it.

akr71

Hero
I could see some honorable vow's, such as a vow of non violence fit into this class quite well too. A class who's goal is to disable his opponents, and control their position, rather than perhaps kill them?

Well, now you are squashing (pun intended) my idea to use this as a monk archtype developed by hobgoblins in my campaign setting. Who is going to mess with a hobgoblin warlord protected by a unit of ogrillon sumo fighters?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
he asked about making a class ... so i'll just toss out some ideas

I think it's a subclass of monk that uses Con or Str more than other monk sub classes

standard grapple rules are pretty good fit for a sumo which basically is making sure someone doesnt move and then walking them out of the ring.

The sub class could get a bonus to grapple
when making a flurry of blows they could add a push mechanic to it
ability to shrug off damage because of their bulk
immovable stance ... saving throw vs forced movement and/or advantage on saves vs forced movement

Remove ads