Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

Faolyn

(she/her)
No Astral Sea- please, please, please have them make the Astral a PLANE again. And not some Sea of Stars that Spelljammers zoom up into 'space'. And...Planejammer is fine, but DO NOT mix Spelljammer with Planejammer. You DON"T take off from a moon in space, fly across the Astral Sea, slip into an Abyssal ocean to fight a Demon Kraken, then sail over to Ysgard for some drink and ship repairs, then zip back through the astral sea to land on the jungle planet.
Not in Planescape, no. But that would be a cool idea for a different setting. After all, plenty of real-world mythologies have their divine or diabolical realms in the real world, just far, far away.

BB Shockwave

Explorer
And more notoriously (though I don't expect or want this to be a part of 5e Planescape) if you were a divine spellcaster in the planes, your connection to your deity got weaker the further away you got from their home plane alignment-wise, which made things REALLY difficult when your LG cleric of LG Heironeous took a quick jaunt to the Abyss and was suddenly casting all their spells at -4 caster level or something.
That was a really nasty setting option for clerics, and I expect much like how 5E Spelljammer totally skipped the same thing for crystal spheres / universes, they will skip this too in 5E Planescape... (In 2E Spelljammer, your spellcasting ability depended on whether your deity or a similar god was worshiped in various spheres - if you did not have anyone similar, all you could cast were 2 level spells max. Ouch!)

The Lady of Pain is a terrible NPC. She's iconic. She's memorable. She's mysterious. And the DM and players are told that PCs should never ever interact with the Lady of Pain. That is an awful NPC.
She is not an NPC and never was. She was an enigmatic plot device. Much like say, how you cannot use fire in the phlogiston or it goes BOOM, you cannot do certain reckless things in Sigil, lest her shadow falls upon you, or you get mazed.
I found it honestly weird that in Die Vecna Die, the Lady of Pain was out there among the factions and actually asked for your help (via the Dabus) at all, because this clashed with what we have learned of her.
She is enigmatic, and she is best left like that. Like how in DC comics, the Time Trapper was revealed to be various characters at various points and it was always underwhelming. Best just leave that identity secret.

I'd like a good focus on Sigil, before the faction war. Factions similar to the guilds of ravnica could work, though I'd like to see benefits gained through ranking up beyond just room and board, actually gain some special abilities as you further align yourself with your factions beliefs
Honestly when reading Ravnica I was like "why did WotC not sue MtG, they totally ripped off Sigil!"... but I guess maybe they already owned MtG by then? I never followed Magic much, so I dunno.

If the Lady of Pain is going to be a major feature of Sigil, there needs to be some better guidelines for how PCs interact with her. Sure, most Sigilites will never interact with her, but PCs aren't most people and they do things that most people won't. 'Banished to the Mazes forever' sounds great on paper, but what does it mean when it actually happens to your PC party, for instance?
Mazes are not forever. They work like the wizard spell of the same name. You can find your way out, with enough intelligence and time. Maybe also meet others in the maze. Do look up Planescape Torment. You can get mazed in that game, if you say, start killing people and defeat the Harmonium patrols who show up, or - the easiest way - join the cult of a god of portals which is strictly forbidden by the Lady. It's a fun side adventure in the game. And maybe your players will think twice then about crossing the Lady afterwards.

Xanxost had a similar vibe - so funny and unpredictable and OH GOD HE'S EATING MY FACE THIS HAS TAKEN A TURN.
Oho! - as he liked to say. I hope Xanxost returns as an NPC in the adventure, or a narrator. He perfectly encapsulated Slaadi, they are like Klingons without the whole honor system, love to fight and might attack you or help you depending on how the mood strikes them.
Xanxost.jpg

Last edited:

Whelp, we got confirmation ok the details: it solves the main issue from Spelljammer, which is page count:
They're sticking with the damn DM screen unfortunately (seriously, is there anyone who uses a DM screen that hasn't got a dozen already, and ones that DON'T have rarely-used setting-specific stuff all over them instead of useful stuff like condition descriptions?) Increased page count is good news in the gazetteer, the adventure I don're really care about either way.

Whelp, we got confirmation ok the details: it solves the main issue from Spelljammer, which is page count:
That's 32 more pages for the setting and the adventure compared to Spelljammer, which is 50% more in both cases. That's pretty significant. 64 pages for the bestiary is fine - there were 72 stat blocks in the Spelljammer bestiary, which should be plenty to update most if not all the significant missing Outer Planar creatures (presumably lots of celestials if the 2024 playtest is anything to go by. And please have the hierarch modrons in there!).

The 3e Manual of the Planes dedicated 62 pages to the Outer Planes (outside Sigil and the Outlands, which I'll consider as separate in the case of the upcoming Planescape product), so 92 pages compares favorably, assuming that will be the main focus and not pull in the Inner Planes (the Inner and Outer Planes combined totaled 82 pages in the 3e MotP; and I assume that the Astral is considered already dealt with in this edition with Spelljammer). My guess is that we'll get similar depth of coverage for the Outer Planes as the 3e book (62 - 72 pages), with an in-depth coverage of Sigil and the Outlands for the rest (20 - 30 pages - they took up 5 pages total in the 3e book). Basically, 10 pages can be dedicated either way here without cutting down the other Outer Planes below the 3e book level. In the end, it seems like the page count will be just fine.

Last edited:

To follow up on my previous post, the chapter on Sharn in the 5e Eberron book was 32 pages long, and the description of Waterdeep in W: DH was 27 pages, which seem to be the best comparisons for large cities in a 5e product.

Also, if the Factions are in, it would be reasonable to assume that they will get at least one page each.

And, beyond all that, there could be some overlap with the adventure book. If the adventure mainly takes place in Sigil (which seems logical), that means that locations from the adventure won't need be to covered in the setting book. This would be the case for other locations as well, such as portal towns...

And finally, I assume they will have a poster map, which better be double-sided, with Sigil on one side, and the Outer Planes on the other!

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
That's 32 more pages for the setting and the adventure compared to Spelljammer, which is 50% more in both cases. That's pretty significant. 64 pages for the bestiary is fine - there were 72 stat blocks in the Spelljammer bestiary, which should be plenty to update most if not all the significant missing Outer Planar creatures (presumably lots of celestials if the 2024 playtest is anything to go by. And please have the hierarch modrons in there!).

The 3e Manual of the Planes dedicated 62 pages to the Outer Planes (outside Sigil and the Outlands, which I'll consider as separate in the case of the upcoming Planescape product), so 92 pages compares favorably, assuming that will be the main focus and not pull in the Inner Planes (the Inner and Outer Planes combined totaled 82 pages in the 3e MotP; and I assume that the Astral is considered already dealt with in this edition with Spelljammer). My guess is that we'll get similar depth of coverage for the Outer Planes as the 3e book (62 - 72 pages), with an in-depth coverage of Sigil and the Outlands for the rest (20 - 30 pages - they took up 5 pages total in the 3e book). Basically, 10 pages can be dedicated either way here without cutting down the other Outer Planes below the 3e book level. In the end, it seems like the page count will be just fine.
If Spelljammer had 32 more pages, I think it would have made all the difference: 32 pages giving more tools for making star systems, maybe some examples (like Realmspace or Greyspace)...

I don't know how much detail they need to give each Plane specifically, but I thinknthey can make this work. Particularly if the Adventure is something like March of the Modrons and gives a more in person tour of the different Outer Planes...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads